Who wants to be the guinea pig for Space Engineers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I grabbed this when it was on sale last week. I'm having a good amount of fun with it. Using the "asteroids" start which you begin with only a crappy little ship with 4 minutes of fuel in survival mode I made this so far. It took me a while to figure out how to get the conveyors working on my mining ship. I built one with 5x5 drills on the front all linked to 3 large cargo bays. I also just finished the guts of my platform; 4 refineries and 4 assemblers all linked with conveyors. I started a little bit of aesthetics but haven't done much yet.

Miner docked with the station
cRSlAo8.jpg

d1rLe8A.jpg

MAoI5By.jpg

jOYZljU.jpg

I really want to play some multiplayer after watching some wars take place that were uploaded to youtube. I just don't have the time to keep logging in to babysit everything. I would hate to leave a public server only to come back and find all my hard work destroyed. It might be fun if we could get a passworded server running for anandtech forum.

Last edited:

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
At very least you can make something "friends only"... but is there a password public option? I never checked...

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
It would be nice if your stuff would be come "locked down" if nobody on your team was online.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
BUMP!

Its been over two years. Game is still not playable. My character dies all the time on random maps.
Piss poor frame rates when the game does work.

All the tutorials are borked.

Not good.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
BUMP!

Its been over two years. Game is still not playable. My character dies all the time on random maps.
Piss poor frame rates when the game does work.

All the tutorials are borked.

Not good.

Too bad, looked interesting. I'm pretty much soured on early access Steam games.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
It's not THAT bad, but it does have some issues in multiplayer that makes it less fun to play. On planets (not in space) multiplayer causes huge jittery-jerking that can make it hard to move around someone else's ship or even glitch you through a wall and/or kill you.

But it's still a ton of fun if you avoid those limitations. Worth catching it on sale for only $10-ish. For single-player, none of these issues seem to occur at all.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Necro for a good cause. Sorta'

The last few updates have very nearly broken the game and the experience is becoming very frustrating.

I'm wondering if any S.E. players have suggestions for a multiplayer game similar to this... Something where building stuff takes a bit more brainpower than Minecraft. Perhaps a bit more survival skills like food/water as well.

There was another game (I forget name offhand) like this and was more forgiving on computer hardware, but has one huge limitation - nothing *moves*. No sliding doors, no driving or flying vehicles... boring!

Anyways... sharing the bad news but looking for suggestions!

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
Necro for a good cause. Sorta'

The last few updates have very nearly broken the game and the experience is becoming very frustrating.

I'm wondering if any S.E. players have suggestions for a multiplayer game similar to this... Something where building stuff takes a bit more brainpower than Minecraft. Perhaps a bit more survival skills like food/water as well.

There was another game (I forget name offhand) like this and was more forgiving on computer hardware, but has one huge limitation - nothing *moves*. No sliding doors, no driving or flying vehicles... boring!

Anyways... sharing the bad news but looking for suggestions!

Starmade? Not quite what you're looking for, but it's like if SE and Minecraft had a love child. Wasn't my cup of tea, but I keep an eye on it in case I feel like going back to it. Might appeal to you.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
They got a massive update the other day, then a tiny update immediately afterward.

I wonder if it fixed some issues.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
BUMP!

Another massive update. This game is moving along VERY slowly. Almost painfully slow. I think these guys have regular jobs and just work on the game during weekends and holidays.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/244850/announcements/detail/1662261101846839209

Lots of features, many fixes. No official release date. I am betting this never gets a proper release. Most of the Early Access titles on Steam never get finished.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Keen is the games dev side and GoodAI is their business software side as it were. The rumors I've heard are that there are like 6 people dedicated to Space Engineers and 6 to Medieval Engineers and the rest (a majority of the company) work on AI stuff.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
BUMP!

Another massive update. This game is moving along VERY slowly. Almost painfully slow. I think these guys have regular jobs and just work on the game during weekends and holidays.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/244850/announcements/detail/1662261101846839209

Lots of features, many fixes. No official release date. I am betting this never gets a proper release. Most of the Early Access titles on Steam never get finished.

Wow, i didnt even know this was still in development, i gave up on this game over a year ago.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Eh, I had a huge post typed up about how early access games should be added onto wishlists and observed on an annual basis, but I'll just sum it up instead and say that developers who boast a broad scope of features but sport only a small - usually inexperienced - team should be avoided unless you enjoy the feeling of being ripped off in the long run.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Eh, I had a huge post typed up about how early access games should be added onto wishlists and observed on an annual basis, but I'll just sum it up instead and say that developers who boast a broad scope of features but sport only a small - usually inexperienced - team should be avoided unless you enjoy the feeling of being ripped off in the long run.

GRAV is not officially dead, but everyone knows it. No updates in 2 years. No word from the devs in one year.

At least space engineers is getting work and has an active community.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Looks neat. One fun space game that's worth checking out is Kerbal Space Program as well. You can either do missions, or just do sandbox. Basically space legos.