Who wants to be the guinea pig for Space Engineers?

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
I was just looking at that. Looks like it has potential. But it's early access non finished game. I'll wait until it's finished.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Keep in mind these are the same people who made Minerwars 2081, a game where they seemed to have run out of money then took what they had and slapped together a game. A lot of features got cut iirc (eg, building stations) and ended up with a real lack of polish.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/miner-wars-2081

Space Engineers looks like they're using the same engine and finished their half finished featurs from miner wars. I'm not saying it can't be a good game but don't believe their feature list will make it into the game until you're playing it in the game.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Also bare in mind these chumps are deleting feedback threads they don't like. These developers are using some seriously dodgy tactics to try and keep the news about this game positive but don't assume that because you can't find people with issues, problems or complaints that the game works fine - that is because the developers are doing their best to get bad comments deleted. Disgraceful behaviour and its to be discouraged by not buying their game.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I guess the gerbils did their share and it's time for the next step.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
game looks interesting...anyone play it? looks like multiplayer is here now.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
My kid and I have been playing this for a month now... it's amusing. Pity I missed the Steam sale for $10 instead of $15.

I'm not a big fan of buying alpha/beta software, but my kid absolutely loves it and I help him build ships, etc.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
I have been playing this pretty heavily since it was gifted to myself and my brother last week.

We have been been enjoying it quite a bit. There are still some glitches/bugs, but it is out on steam early release program and they are updating every Thursday:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244850/

http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceengineers

Here is a video I made yesterday showing a small mining rig: http://youtu.be/ObhvSh9b-zA

Here are some pictures from their website:

772457_orig.jpg
6686945_orig.jpg
4417039_orig.jpg

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
There's not much of a game here but honestly for the price it's a lot of fun to just play space legos.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
I like the graphics. How is the performance?

And as far as it being "space legos" how minecrafty is it? is the crafting and mechanics deep? can you build intricate machines and computers?

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
Currently it is fairly taxing on cpu/gpu on higher settings.

The single player is more stable than multiplayer.

The mechanics are fairly deep for being in development. They try to add new features every Thursday.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
http://youtu.be/Y5Sm_Y0UWo0

b20ABUi.png

Today they added better functionally for making all types of wheeled vehicles.

Patch Notes:
Summary
Steering wheels and wheel controls have been added in Space Engineers. Players can now build and control vehicles. Every block that is visible in terminal can be now displayed on HUD (set on/off on terminal screen). Also some issues with Factions have been resolved (see the list below for more details).
Note: wheels in multi-player are still work-in-progress and some things might not be functioning properly
Video of the Update
Features
- steering wheels (sounds are placeholders – wheels in multi-player are still WIP)
- wheel controls (WSAD)
- adjustable welder and grinder speed (in world settings)
- name and location of blocks visible in terminal can be shown on HUD
- new inventory filter (hide empty inventories)
- join game search box
- hacking computers is a bit slower (grinding block of non-friend is slower by factor of 3)
Fixes
- fixed some Factions issues (turrets shooting on it's own ship, non-changeable ownership)
- reduced network bandwidth during line/plane building
- fixed beacon range and visibility
- fixed issue when beacon broadcast was killing the server
- fixed issue when antenna was working without power
- fixed red circle after re-spawn
- fixed beacon broadcast distance does not save
- fixed old save files have no ownership

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
Thursday Update for 7/17/2014

Summary

Battery block and new power cell component have been added into the game. Communication relay makes now possible for signal to travel through multiple friendly Antennas; enemy signals that reach one antenna are relayed to all friendly players within your antenna network.You can merge ships while pasting in creative mode and we also added client-side saving and permanent death as a world options.

Note: We are still working on new player communication system, it should be added in the future updates

IhoQ1mN.png

Update Video: http://youtu.be/LmkMqpOEajw

Features
- battery block for small and large grids
- solar panels are now little cheaper and much more efficient
- communications relay (signal can travel through multiple antennas; you can receive a signal from any distance, broadcasting can be limited by player or by power of the antenna)
- small ship antenna has now max. range of 5000 m
- copy-paste into existing ships
- new world setting: enable/disable client-side saving
- new world setting: permanent death can be turned off (client still owns his stuff after respawning in the rescue ship)
- pressing 'K' can be now used for looting character
- added antenna to prefab ships

Fixes
- improved network performance when removing larger amount of blocks at once
- fixed crash when creating faction
- fixed crash when leaving faction
- fixed mission join request icon
- fixed turret attacking its own ship
- fixed issues with respawn
- fixed turrets fire at ships in junk yard
- fixed inventory listing as same for all containers
- fixed 1x1 wheel falls off after loading a save
- fixed antenna/beacons too power hungry
- fixed passenger seat alignment
- fixed death loops when spawning in tight places
- fixed no 3rd person view for rescue ship
- fixed player tag not showing properly when joining dedicated server
- fixed ownership not remembered by dedicated server after logout
- fixed memory leaks when app was minimized
- fixed spectator mode when loading workshop world
- fixed spotlight symmetry

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
7/24/2014 Update Pistons / Blast Doors

wyIQwxq.png

http://youtu.be/pY9maLDqYyU

Pistons have been added in Space Engineers - they can be used to build advanced machinery. Also, faction founders and leaders can now enable auto-approval for new members. Players will now be able to see a notification on HUD when somebody is hacking/grinding their ship (does not apply to armors). Thrusters can be used without cockpit - through the terminal - which enables the option to create missiles with warheads, turret countermeasures, small drones which grind enemy ships by using grinder and other. Blast door blocks has been also added in the game; it's similar to armor, but thinner, so it can slide between two layers of armor (very useful for airtight door and hangar bays).
Features

• pistons
  • factions: enabled/disabled member auto-approval
  • hacking/breach HUD notification
  • thrusters can work without cockpit - through terminal
  • blast door blocks (4 types, durability will be balanced in the next updates)
  • rotor height adjustment
  • semi-auto mode for battery
Fixes

• fixed issue when player could not leave respawn screen
  • fixed large antenna texture bug
  • fixed steering wheels losing sync
  • fixed lags with batteries turned to charging mode
  • fixed few instances of death-loop
  • fixed multiplayer filter issues
  • fixed visible aiming rectangle when turret is of after loading new world
  • fixed issue when placing a new landing gear/station block without resources in survival mode was fully built
  • fixed missing permanent death configuration when starting DS
  • fixed issue with block preview when in 3rd person view

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Looks like they are starting to make games to train people for that Mars mission in the future :)

Used to mine rocks in Eve I guess, I'd hope it's different.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
hows the performance? I remember a crash scene where it basically brought the system to a halt witha ll the impact calculations

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Not gonna lie, I've seen this game on Steam every now and then but haven't really looked into what it is. Upon closer inspection, the concept looks really cool, it has extremely positive reviews and for $12 I might have to take the plunge.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
hows the performance? I remember a crash scene where it basically brought the system to a halt witha ll the impact calculations

Performance isn't what it should be... the graphics aren't exactly complicated. Provided you don't build insanely-huge or detailed ships (or several of them) it's not an issue.

Some folks made enormous models (like the Titanic) that brought my R9-270 + i5 to its knees!

That said, my kid's on a Q6600 with GTX 260 and it runs decent all day long.

Laurel tree

Oct 7, 2014
I've put in a couple hours with this game. Wasn't really enough there to keep me going. Think I'll wait for finished product to play again.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Multiplayer and roleplaying make things much more interesting - especially in survival mode where if you want to build something you need to have all the parts to do so.

Don't have enough glass for that cockpit? Better go mine some silicon, refine it, then put it in the assembler to make the glass sheets needed. My kids & I get a kick out of creating our own "project" and go about solving it. :) They make some neat ships and one boy is an amazing pilot... can quickly park two ships beside each other without batting an eye (or denting the armour!)