Who uses a cheap phone with hardly any features?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
Alternatively, who uses more than 10% of the features on their whizzbang phone?

I do. I always use my camera, bluetooth, SMS/MMS messaging, USB drive functionality, etc etc. I'd also use my MP3 player function if I hadn't been a dummy and broke the buttons on the front of the flip.

Originally posted by: illusion88

If I am ever going to upgrade my phone, it's going to be when they combine GPS, MP3 player (good quality) and a cell phone all in one, and it can't be any bigger then the phone I have now.

Slivr L7C on VZW - has a decent (not the best, but could be worse) MP3 player, it has GPS through VZNavigator (which is awesome, btw), and it's the same size, if not slimmer, then your silly Nokia candybar.

will889

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2003
LG VX-8300 here. I use the MP3 player mostly and have the basic data plan. I never use the voice activated calling unless i'm in my car or walking with the headphones on. I don't use bluetooth headsets just the music-stereo headphones that came with the music kit they sounds great and come in handing when you go to a theater to to watch movies waiting.

Next time though I want a phone with no or as little as possible gadgetry. No MP3 player, no camera, but they probably won't make them because it's so easy for them to get you hooked in to their rate plans for access to those gadgets when you see everybody else pays for them, yet most people take advantage of maybe 50% of what they pay for anyway which makes no sense and makes giant profits for the cell phone companies. There needs to be a real cell phone movement (and in communications in general) of just getting back to the basics of phone calling and phones that do just that and have a nice menu and easy to access phone book and that's it (maybe with GPS). Small and stylish too since it doesn't need all of those other features. In fact, I don't think the types of phones I'm talking about even need these mini-operating systems per say that take so long to boot up and might need firmware updates at times just a basic screen (but nice and easy to read in the daylight).

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
CDMA Nokia 2280 here :D

Love it, bulletproof, CDMA coverage in Aus>>>>>>>GSM, and it is excellent in the three areas i care about, making calls, sending texts, and waking me up in the morning.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: will889
LG VX-8300 here. I use the MP3 player mostly and have the basic data plan. I never use the voice activated calling unless i'm in my car or walking with the headphones on. I don't use bluetooth headsets just the music-stereo headphones that came with the music kit they sounds great and come in handing when you go to a theater to to watch movies waiting.

Next time though I want a phone with no or as little as possible gadgetry. No MP3 player, no camera, but they probably won't make them because it's so easy for them to get you hooked in to their rate plans for access to those gadgets when you see everybody else pays for them, yet most people take advantage of maybe 50% of what they pay for anyway which makes no sense and makes giant profits for the cell phone companies. There needs to be a real cell phone movement (and in communications in general) of just getting back to the basics of phone calling and phones that do just that and have a nice menu and easy to access phone book and that's it (maybe with GPS). Small and stylish too since it doesn't need all of those other features. In fact, I don't think the types of phones I'm talking about even need these mini-operating systems per say that take so long to boot up and might need firmware updates at times just a basic screen (but nice and easy to read in the daylight).

That's NEVER EVER going to happen. The trend is toward convergence. People are tired of carrying around multiple gadgets, so they're all being put together into once device.

Edit: And why do you want a menu if all you want is voice calling? Why not just a 5-line two-color screen with one option on it: Phonebook?