Who should be the next senator from California?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Diane Feinstein has not announced her plans, but rumor has it it's quite possible she won't run again in 2024. In any case, it appears other high profile politicos are lining up for the primary.

So far, something like a dozen people have announced plans to run but AFAIK only 3 (besides Feinstein) are high profile and have any chance at all. In alphabetical order, these are:

Barbara Lee
Katie Porter
Adam Schiff

Who do you like and why?

Barbara Jean Lee is an American politician serving as the U.S. representative for California's 12th congressional district. Now in her 12th term, Lee has served since 1998, and is a member of the Democratic Party. Wikipedia

Katherine Moore Porter is an American politician, law professor, and lawyer who is the U.S. representative from California's 47th congressional district since 2023, previously representing the 45th congressional district from 2019 to 2023. Wikipedia

Adam Bennett Schiff is an American lawyer, author, and politician who has served as a U.S. representative since 2001. A member of the Democratic Party, he has represented his California congressional district since 2001. Wikipedia

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Ummm P&N is that way <———
Unless we plan on overclocking the Senator from CA, that would be a fun discussion.
Oh, I thought I was in P&N. I was looking at a P&N thread when I launched this. Somehow it wound up in Overclocking (where I never go!). I think it's a weirdness of the forums that this kind of thing happens, it's happened to me once or twice before. So, moderator, yes, please move this to P&N.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Diane Feinstein has not announced her plans, but rumor has it it's quite possible she won't run again in 2024. In any case, it appears other high profile politicos are lining up for the primary.

So far, something like a dozen people have announced plans to run but AFAIK only 3 (besides Feinstein) are high profile and have any chance at all. In alphabetical order, these are:

Barbara Lee
Katie Porter
Adam Schiff

Who do you like and why?

Barbara Jean Lee is an American politician serving as the U.S. representative for California's 12th congressional district. Now in her 12th term, Lee has served since 1998, and is a member of the Democratic Party. Wikipedia

Katherine Moore Porter is an American politician, law professor, and lawyer who is the U.S. representative from California's 47th congressional district since 2023, previously representing the 45th congressional district from 2019 to 2023. Wikipedia

Adam Bennett Schiff is an American lawyer, author, and politician who has served as a U.S. representative since 2001. A member of the Democratic Party, he has represented his California congressional district since 2001. Wikipedia
My heart says Katie, my brain says Adam.

Reactions: Pohemi

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
My heart says Katie, my brain says Adam.
When Porter announced I was filled with joy. When Schiff announced, I said to myself, now isn’t that fucking wonderful.

Let me know what you decide. Hear or heart, by which should one decide. I think it may come down to a choice based on gender.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
When Porter announced I was filled with joy. When Schiff announced, I said to myself, now isn’t that fucking wonderful.

Let me know what you decide. Hear or heart, by which should one decide. I think it may come down to a choice based on gender.
I get no vote in reality, as I don't live in CA.

Reactions: ZGR

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I get no vote in reality, as I don't live in CA.

I had always assumed that when people spoke of head or heart they knew which should dictate, namely the head, because of what we can see in conservatives regarding their feels. But then what are we to do with all the appeals formulated variously down through history that admonish differently, that if you seek fulfillment discover what it is your heart truly desires?

Is there knowledge to be had beyond cultural conditioning?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hmm, it should be me I think :p Senators get good pay and benefits :D

But seriously, I am not sure. We have a challenger in my district, to Anna Eshoo, who might be good. But Anna Eshoo keeps the seat :/ This is for the house rep obviously, but it might be nice to have someone from our district in the Senate.

Reactions: Leeea

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Cali deserves and the USA needs a ball buster like Katie Porter.
Yeah, I'm utterly ambivalent at the moment. It hasn't even begun, the jostling. I'm in Barbara Lee's district and she's unassailable here in terms of keeping her house seat, but Schiff and Porter are very accomplished lawyers and stellar in their fighting against fascism. Lee's no slouch in that. I figure Lee will be an underdog. Porter's a relative newcomer but I've seen super praise for her here akin to that for AOC. I did not vote in the poll. I really don't know yet.

One thing that occurs to me, Porter represents Orange County which has a long reputation for deep conservatism. I imagine if she becomes a US senator it could push Orange County blue! That in itself would be an accomplishment. Of course, she won't need their votes any more than those of people where I live, which is much more overwhelmingly liberal than Orange County is conservative!

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Seems like Schiff (currently leading the poll) very much has the upper hand in gravitas.

noun
  1. dignity, seriousness, or solemnity of manner.

Reactions: hal2kilo