Who makes the best brake pads and rotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Is it worth paying a premium for higher quality brake components? My current rotors are a mess and my pads are getting low, so I'm thinking about doing the entire car in one shot. I might even do the calipers while I'm at it.

Someone suggested Raybestos to me once. Are there any other good options?

TIA

Oh, it's for a 2006 Civic BTW. Disc brakes all around.

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
I usually get the best pads and cheap rotors.

By last purchase was $120+ Carbotech AX6 brake pads.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I like the Centric rotors from Tirerack, mostly due to the rust prevention coating. Another good source is Napa, but they are not coated. Both are cheap.

Hawk HPS pads are great as well (not cheap).. but I mostly use them to prevent brake dust. If you're not concerned with that, or don't have alloy wheels, just go with Napa/Autozone, etc.

The only reason to go with a large fancy brake is for racing or AutoX.. or looks, if that's your thing.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I get cheap sh*t from autozone. I think they are msotl cheap sh*t, though, the pads are ok but the rotors are not great. I think OEM are best in most cases. I still buy the cheap stuff, though :)

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I like Brembo for the rotors and Performance Friction Carbon Metallic for the brake pads. Autozone has the pads. Tirerack.com has the rotors and may also carry that brand of pad. They last a decent amount of time and work nice.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
I like the Centric rotors from Tirerack, mostly due to the rust prevention coating. Another good source is Napa, but they are not coated. Both are cheap.

Hawk HPS pads are great as well (not cheap).. but I mostly use them to prevent brake dust. If you're not concerned with that, or don't have alloy wheels, just go with Napa/Autozone, etc.

The only reason to go with a large fancy brake is for racing or AutoX.. or looks, if that's your thing.

That rust prevention is for the hat...not the rotor itself.

Also, the stuff from upper class Napa stuff is the same as the stuff from tirerack....atleast it was for my Mazda 3.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I've always used Hawk pads.. I just swapped my HPS for HP+.. Brakes feel so much better.. but I do have quite the symphony going on with how much noise they make. The normal driver, HPS would be fine.. dust a bit, pretty quiet, decent stopping power.. but their initial bite leaves something to be desired.

For rotors, Brembo blanks usually, though I'm on Racing Brake front and Stoptech rear rotors at the moment.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I always buy from Napa... Depending on the model of car, never had a problem at all.

The last rotors I got for the Maxima are made in Canada... they are working fantastic.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
I always buy from Napa... Depending on the model of car, never had a problem at all.

The last rotors I got for the Maxima are made in Canada... they are working fantastic.

yup, Napa and carquest seem to pick from the right suppliers...

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Do not listen to anyone who says Brembo and Hawk pads. 99.99999% of people don't need that and you certainly don't need that on a street car. There is no single best pad or rotor out there. Do you want low noise? Low dust? Long life? Short stopping distance? You have to know what you want.

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
I see lots of great reviews on Project Mu NS Pads, I am probably going to get them since OEM pads transfer material to the rotor way to easily.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
I haven't had the best luck with Napa's rebuilt calipers, 2/4 times they packaged the wrong or incomplete accessory kits.

Can't comment on pads/rotors.

How are they incompete? All there is the caliper screws, the rubber things that keeps it clean, and that clip. That is pretty bad if they missed something. As for packaged wrong...I have been getting that alot lately with a bunch of products. From a Tranny filter to even an air filter. It's been at several different stores.....

Status
Not open for further replies.