Who likes calculus?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GroundOO

Mar 14, 2000
I like math but it isn't too much fun in school cuz it's sloooow. I'm compacting PreCalc into 1st quarter (i'm a junior) and I'll take a Calculus per semester and be done with Calc3 by the end of High School (at least ;) ). Think colleges will like that? Not to toot my own horn or anything :)

Chris

Semper Fi

Golden Member
Dec 2, 1999
I'm with DiRF and Cybersax on this one.
For all you calc luvin' animals out there I'll sell ya my HP fer cheep. :)

Phalkon

Banned
Aug 20, 2000
Calculus has no bearing on anything... all the calculus you need to know is in Physics.
Match Physics with Algebra/Geometry and now you have a game physics engine.
Match Game Physics Engine Skills with Intro to DirectX, now you have a game.
Match Game with Publisher, now you have Money.
Match money to my bank account, now you have Happy Me.

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
Calculus is a tool, just like a wrench. Do I sit around wondering how I love my wrench so much? No, obviously not. I was pretty damn good at it back in the day (read Calc in HS calcII/DiffEQ about 2yrs ago), but with symbolic math programs and such it's a whole lot easier to use them instead of going through a long integration or derivative. With some DiffEQs it's a whole lot easier to matlab it than wasting time, just get your transfer function and boom, there ya go.

downhiller80

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2000
I used to absolutely LOVE maths. I was S) good at it.

In primary school (age 10) I was working my way through age 14 work.

then I went to my crappy secondary school and they wouldn't let me go ahead, so needless to say I got bored and this killed my love for maths!

Stupid fucking school!

Seb

bo_bear

Oct 10, 1999
I'm a CS major so I took all the lower division calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. I absolutley love them.

I LOVE linear algebra! Anyone else is fascinated by Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is good to know if you want to do games development. Most people can't grasp it though.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Liz:

You mention being interested in swimming. Are you a U.S.S. swimmer? Put your swim time progression chart up. Put up your opinions about the Olympics, doping, excessive money to athletes, etc.

You should post some good poetry you like. With that imagery, do you like Blake?

Post a pic of your dog or cat. I like animal pics, particularly interesting ones.

A personal home page isn't very personal unless it has, um, er, uh, well, personal information on it. You don't need to give your weight, but you have lots of other personal info you could post. Have fun with it. :p

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
It's funny that this thread was created just as I started OAC Calculus. Right now we are doing limits and will be starting a unit on "Derivites" next week.

I don't understand why need limits in normal day-to-day work? I understand what it is and what it is about..but I don't understand the need for it. I think it's only there to find tangents.

Well I'm back to doing some Calc work.

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Madd indian...limits are an important concept that will allow you to grasp derivatives and integrals. If by "daily life" you mean going to the grocery store, integrals won't have much influence on that. However, if you want daily life to mean "being an engineer/scientist/economist/etc", then calculus is indispensible.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
dwell, there are a lot of things one needs to know to design a game... of course LA is only one of them, in your opinion...

calculus is a tool. it's like a pencil. very useful, but sometimes you can't use it.

Swag1138

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2000
"I know my calculus, as its U + ME = US" - 2Gether

Dont ask me why I know that.

DataFly

Mar 12, 2000
I'm only in PreCalc this year, but my AP Physics class has already started to utilize Calculus (they only looked at how well you did in previous science classes before making the decision to let you in or not; previous math classes were irrelevant;)).:Q

I'd probably like it a bit more if I didn't have to do give myself a crash course in it...
Oh well, at least AP Calc won't be too hard next year.:D

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
I got straight A's in all my Calculus courses and also my subsequent math courses like Diffy Q, etc.

I also used to tutor in it.

And yes, I liked it a lot.:)

zzzz

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2000
calculus..thats one of the most interesting part of maths. and useful too...
btw I still like it

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
i personally hate calculus and physics with a passion. I'm not too bad at them , i just hate them. I'm a compsci major. I hate compsci classes too. I love programming though.

pen^2

Banned
Apr 1, 2000
calculus is great

for me to poop on!
seriously tho i like it when i get good grade in a course on it... if i flunk test or two i hate it, simple as that :)