Who knows how to take the HSF off an ATI 1900XTX?

cmrmrc

Jun 27, 2005
i think the x1900xtx should be the same as an x1800xt so...

just unscrew the screws on the bottom of the card...i forgot how many there was but i think 4?....then i think that there are 2 or 3 more on the top of the card...just take them off...its a piece of cake don't worry about anything.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
After you disconnected the fan wire, turn the card upside down (fan looks down). First unscrew the middle ones (4), take off that X-shaped frame and its screws then take care of the outer ones (4) and finally lift the card - fan should be on the table. That's it.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: T2k
After you disconnected the fan wire, turn the card upside down (fan looks down). First unscrew the middle ones (4), take off that X-shaped frame and its screws then take care of the outer ones (4) and finally lift the card - fan should be on the table. That's it.

Actually, I would disconnect the fan wire, turn over, take out the 4 outer ones first, and then take off the 4 inner ones. Reason being is that you don't want the middle of the HSF rattling around over the precious GPU core while your removing the rest of the screws. I would also grip the HSF before lifting up, although the weight of the HSF should just leave it one the table as you decribed.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
unless your doing an aftermarket cooler dont even bother, they have good thermal compound on them already, its not like you are going to see any uber cooling numbers by doing A.S 5 IMHO.

Bull Dog

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2005
When I had my stock cooler on, I replaced the stock stuff with AS5 and I saw a 5C (yes 5C, and I have documentation too) temp drop at the same fan speed (64%). But YMMV.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Not all the X1900XTX's by HIS have the IceQ3 cooler on it.

It could be the stock cooler but putting on the AS5 is still a good idea.

Oh, wait, because HIS RMA sucks???? (i don't get it)

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Golgatha
Originally posted by: T2k

Actually, I would disconnect the fan wire, turn over, take out the 4 outer ones first, and then take off the 4 inner ones. Reason being is that you don't want the middle of the HSF rattling around over the precious GPU core while your removing the rest of the screws. [/bquote]

True though by its weight it won't move and the next 4 screws take only 20 secs to unscrew and I assumed nobody will play around with the card in the meantime... ":)
Nevertheless you're right, it's probably safer.

[bquote]
I would also grip the HSF before lifting up, although the weight of the HSF should just leave it one the table as you decribed.

Yep, it's a pretty heavy piece...