Who is your favorite Power Supply maker ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Who is your favorite Power Supply maker ?

• ANTEC

• COOLER MASTER

• COUGAR

• GIGABYTE

• HEC

• MAS

• OCZ

• PC POWER

Results are only viewable after voting.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
So, all I've seen so far is a repetition of Seasonic, the manufacturer of half of Corsair's line and part of Antec's line and XFX's Black Editions

--CWT, which produces the other half of Corsair's lineup

--Delta, which has good and bad....and the Antec Signature and Earthwatts are good to decent with the Signature vastly better than the EA's

--Zippy, which has a noise problem......good power supplies, granted, but quite loud and wouldn't put one into a home system unless I spent my time hidden under headphones, and is damned hard to find at retail in the first place.

So, Seasonic/Corsair/XFX is one, CWT/Corsair is another mentioned, Delta/Antec another.....which about replicates the Seasonic, Antec, Corsair list MJinZ listed that was bashed.

Are you serious? There are loads of equal and better power supplies manufactured by others.

And I fail to see any evidence of this being anywhere reality so far from what's been presented.

FragKrag

May 27, 2010
Doesn't Enhance produce some decent power supplies? I was recently considering a 750W Silverstone 80+ SILVER Enhance OEM, and it seemed to have a lot of positive feedback on Jonnyguru.

CWT is still my favorite though.

Jun 6, 2010
If you mean PSU manufacturers..., Delta Electronics, Seasonic, Enermax and CWT make high quality PSUs.

Enhanced Electronics, Impervio, Sirtec and Super Flowers also know how to produce good units.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
You should add Corsair and Seasonic, since they have the best reputation along with PC P&C for affordable PSU's.

I still find it funny that Antec has such a good reputation for PSU's since it wasn't that long ago that they had some of the worst power supplies you could buy. (I had two blow up on me) I guess they have really changed their quality for the better.

Jun 6, 2010
You should add Corsair and Seasonic, since they have the best reputation along with PC P&C for affordable PSU's.

I still find it funny that Antec has such a good reputation for PSU's since it wasn't that long ago that they had some of the worst power supplies you could buy. (I had two blow up on me) I guess they have really changed their quality for the better.

If we consider that many of the PSUs from Antec are made by Seasonic, brand which you recommend (I do too), it's funny that you put into question the quality of the PSUs form Antec.
If we consider that CWT is the manufacturer of most of the PSUs from Corsair and that it was also the manufacturer of those "some of the worst power supplies you could buy" from Antec (SmartPower 2.0,...) a few years ago, it's also funny that you recommend the PSUs from Corsair (I do too).

Last edited:

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
If we consider that many of the PSUs from Antec are made by Seasonic, brand which you recommend (I do too), it's funny that you put into question the quality of the PSUs form Antec.
If we consider that CWT is the manufacturer of most of the PSUs from Corsair and that it was also the manufacturer of those "some of the worst power supplies you could buy" from Antec (SmartPower 2.0,...) a few years ago, it's also funny that you recommend the PSUs from Corsair (I do too).

The Antec PSU's failures were more due to design flaws than poor manufacturing. They used low temperature caps to save money, but used slow speed fans to reduce noise. The low speed fans increased the temperature in the unit, which in turn made the caps exceed their useful temperature range, which in turn caused the caps to fail resulting in a puff of black smoke.

Antec was new to the PSU business at the time, so mistakes like this were to be expected. It isn't surprising that they refocused on their design and have better quality now, since the failures of the past are a good motivator. It just sounds funny to me when I hear they have high quality PSU's, because the PSU's I used from them in the past had major problems. Logically it makes sense, but I still am gunshy about buying another Antec power supply.

Jun 6, 2010
The Antec PSU's failures were more due to design flaws than poor manufacturing. They used low temperature caps to save money, but used slow speed fans to reduce noise. The low speed fans increased the temperature in the unit, which in turn made the caps exceed their useful temperature range, which in turn caused the caps to fail resulting in a puff of black smoke.

Antec was new to the PSU business at the time, so mistakes like this were to be expected. It isn't surprising that they refocused on their design and have better quality now, since the failures of the past are a good motivator. It just sounds funny to me when I hear they have high quality PSU's, because the PSU's I used from them in the past had major problems. Logically it makes sense, but I still am gunshy about buying another Antec power supply.

Trust me. Don't be gunshy. They are selling high quality PSUs.

Stefan Payne

Dec 24, 2009
CWT has a wide band, not all of it is really good, some of it is rather bad.
So I wouldn't say that CWT is a good manufacturer, more some kind of OEM manufacturer like FSP, but they have also done some units with ripple outside the spec (OK, others too, like HEC has done with the 600W TE-2WX Series, something you should avoid).
But still, I don't like them that much...

No it wasn't, it was a bad cap choice from CWT.
Fuhjyyu, need to say more?

Oh and I found some of them in my redundant(!) CWT PSU (or should I say PSUs, 'cause there are 2 of them), of course: no fan control whatsoever...

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Are you serious? There are loads of equal and better power supplies manufactured by others.
And I fail to see any evidence of this being anywhere reality so far from what's been presented.
I'm not going to run through the hundreds of PSU reviews I've read over the past couple years to recall all of the brands and manufacturers with quality PSU's. Considering that Corsair has been listed a number of times, and they don't even manufacture PSU's that means you can include plenty of other rebranding companies that use the same and similar quality OEM's. With that said, there are indeed loads of PSU's out there that are of equal and greater quality that may use some of the same OEM's he listed, or even be the exact PSU under a different brand. If you want to include just the OEM's the list may not be so large, but that means no more answering with Antec, Corsair, and others that are simply re branding either.

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
I'm on my first ThermalTake, a ToughPower 750W. It's about 4 years old now, but still does an excellent job, very stable. It's got a huge fan that's very silent, and as a stroke of pure genius, they let the fan spin on after you power off your computer. It will continue to spin at a low rate until the temperature in your case is low enough, then it shuts off (usually about 2 minutes, depends a bit on how hot your PC is, and the room temperature ofcourse).

I'd buy ThermalTake again (although I don't know who actually makes these PSUs, could be one of the aforementioned companies). I've had some Antecs, EnerMaxes and a Corsair... but this one is my favourite.

Last edited:

farily

Jun 21, 2010
I've had Tagan and Antec and both are good. However I'd say Seasonic are also very good.

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
I've had Tagan and Antec and both are good. However I'd say Seasonic are also very good.

Seasonic is the only one in your list that makes PSUs. Tagan has used Topower and Impervio and possibly a few others.

Antec has used FSP, Delta, Seasonic, CWT, Enhance, HEC