who is the most notorious serial killer of all time?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Originally posted by: Mill
Jim Jones was a mass murderer. The DC Snipers were spree killers.

I'd say the most notorious is Jack the Ripper. Scariest to me is Gein.

I didn't realize that if you kill people quickly you can't be a serial killer?

Seirously though, 'serial' is a term that is given when someone murders more than a certain amount of people. I learned it in criminal justice class, but I can't remember the exact number or murders associated with a serial killer, but I am pretty sure that I do remember it was a low number, even below 10 if im not correct.

Serial Killer:

"someone who murders more than three victims one at a time in a relatively short interval "

Spree Killer:

"a serial killer whose murders occur within a brief period of time"

So the DC snipers are Spree Killers, which are also Serial Killers. However, their acts pale in comparison to the atrocities carried out by some of these other killers. Shooting somebody != torturing and eating them alive :-/

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
This shouldn't be a debate. Jack The Ripper is the most notorious serial killer of all time.

The key word is notorious.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Somewhat off topic, and before you flame me, I'm just stating the following as possibly factual, not as criticism, etc.

Most people killed in one single act by a person would be the dropping of the atomic bomb? That would be a terrible burden to bear, even though it was done under war-time conditions.

Also, someone mentioned Hitler. How about Stalin?

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
Somewhat off topic, and before you flame me, I'm just stating the following as possibly factual, not as criticism, etc.

Most people killed in one single act by a person would be the dropping of the atomic bomb? That would be a terrible burden to bear, even though it was done under war-time conditions.

Also, someone mentioned Hitler. How about Stalin?
They were mass murderers not serial killers...

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: axelfox
Buffalo Bob.

"It puts the lotion on!"

:)

It's Buffalo Bill, you'd think if you remembered a quote from a movie that you would at least remember the name of the character you are quoting.
rolleye.gif

it is buffalo bob... go watch the movie before you shoot your mouth off...

Ninjja

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2003
This crimelibrary website is so disturbing. But i was rooted to my computer screen with the Dahmer story at work, so terrible and awful are his crimes. I can't even imagine what the others would be like. *shudder*

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Ninjja
This crimelibrary website is so disturbing. But i was rooted to my computer screen with the Dahmer story at work, so terrible and awful are his crimes. I can't even imagine what the others would be like. *shudder*

yea I've been in the states for 5 years, so I always thought that these serial killers are only in the movies..

Damn US has the most serial killers in the world..

FuZoR

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2001
ted bundy.

i read a few others... but couldnt continue.. it was just to sick to keep reading it bah.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Buffalo Bob.

"It puts the lotion on!"

It's Buffalo Bill, you'd think if you remembered a quote from a movie that you would at least remember the name of the character you are quoting.
rolleye.gif

Text

Wrong. Check out the cast listing...

Maybe you should go watch the movie before you shoot your mouth off...
rolleye.gif

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: jman19
Buffalo Bob.

"It puts the lotion on!"

rolleye.gif

Text

rolleye.gif

the original movie quote is from JOE DIRT...douche

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: jman19
Buffalo Bob.

"It puts the lotion on!"

rolleye.gif

Text

rolleye.gif

the original movie quote is from JOE DIRT...douche

OK, I was wrong... But its not at all aparant that the quote is from Joe Dirt and not Silence of the Lambs.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Mwilding
This shouldn't be a debate. Jack The Ripper is the most notorious serial killer of all time.

agree 100%

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: pyonir

agree 100%

Agree 110%

For number 2 I vote the Zodiac killer. There's an incredible number of people obsessed with finding out who he was.

Ninjja

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: z0mb13
Originally posted by: Ninjja

yea I've been in the states for 5 years, so I always thought that these serial killers are only in the movies..

Damn US has the most serial killers in the world..

i've been in the states for 6 years now (moved from England). the gun crime rate is so much higher here.

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
Ed Gein and Dahmer... go Wisconsin.
My boss says that Ed Gein ate at his table. I only live about 20 minutes from Plainfield, where Ed Gein lived.

I'd say Bundy or Jack the Ripper though.

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Most Notorious? Jack the Ripper.

The one that freaks me out the most though was John Wayne Gacy... yikes.

l2c

Wuffsunie

Platinum Member
May 4, 2002

For once we agree.

Jack has had way more literature devoted to him and is still a very powerful cultural figure over 100 years after the fact. There's also the whole fact that he's considered the father of the modern serial killer. Yes, a lot of people before him were prolific and terrible murderers, but he is the first one to earn the fame and notoriety that goes with modern killers.

-- Jack

Remembered not as a messenger. Remembered not as a reformer, not as a prophet, not as a hero. Not even as Sebastian. Remembered only as Jack.
-- Sebastian, Babylon 5, Comes the Inquisitor

3point14

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
If anyone enjoys this subject you might wanna check out this movie. My sis studies Forensic Science and worked for the STLPD. Her library consists of hundreds of books about serial murders and loads of crime scene photos. Quite interesting reading material, but nothing I would like to make a living of.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Wuffsunie

For once we agree.

Jack has had way more literature devoted to him and is still a very powerful cultural figure over 100 years after the fact. There's also the whole fact that he's considered the father of the modern serial killer. Yes, a lot of people before him were prolific and terrible murderers, but he is the first one to earn the fame and notoriety that goes with modern killers.

-- Jack

Remembered not as a messenger. Remembered not as a reformer, not as a prophet, not as a hero. Not even as Sebastian. Remembered only as Jack.
-- Sebastian, Babylon 5, Comes the Inquisitor

Precisely why I vote Jack The Ripper as well. The OP said notorious and JtR's infamy has stood the test of time and is known worldwide.