who is the most notorious serial killer of all time?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Jehovah
Ed Gein.

While he may have a lot of influence on modern horror films, he really didn't do that much killing. He was more of a graverobber than a serial killer.

As mentioned above, Manson wasn't really a serial killler, since he didn't do the killing.

Ted Bundy is pretty much the epitome of a serial killer. He had all the classic characteristics of a sociopath/psychopath (now just referred to as someone with antisocial personality disorder), and targeted a specific series of people.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
David Berkowitz - The Son of Sam.

Part of his letter to the cops:
Dear Captain Joseph Borrelli,

I am deeply hurt by your calling me a wemon hater. I am not. But I am a monster. I am the 'Son of Sam.' I am a little brat.

When father Sam gets drunk he gets mean. He beats his family. Sometimes he ties me up to the back of the house. Other times he locks me in the garage. Sam loves to drink blood.

'Go out and kill,' commands father Sam.

'Behind our house some rest. Mostly young -- raped and slaughtered -- their blood drained -- just bones now.

Papa Sam keeps me locked in the attic too. I can't get out but I look out the attic window and watch the world go by.

I feel like an outsider. I am on a different wavelength then everybody else -- programmed too kill.

However, to stop me you must kill me. Attention all police: Shoot me first -- shoot to kill or else keep out of my way or you will die!

Papa Sam is old now. He needs some blood to preserve his youth. He has had too many heart attacks. 'Ugh, me hoot, it hurts, sonny boy.'

I miss my pretty princess most of all. She's resting in our ladies house. But I'll see her soon.

I am the 'Monster' -- 'Beelzebub' -- the chubby behemouth.

I love to hunt. Prowling the streets looking for fair game -- tasty meat. The wemon of Queens are prettyist of all. It must be the water they drink. I live for the hunt -- my life. Blood for papa.

Mr. Borrelli, sir, I don't want to kill anymore. No sur, no more but I must, 'honour thy father.'

I want to make love to the world. I love people. I don't belong on earth. Return me to yahoos.

To the people of Queens, I love you. And I want to wish all of you a happy Easter. May

God bless you in this life and in the next.
Link

Feb 10, 2000
Jack the Ripper will probably always be the most famous.

Modernly, I'd have to say Ted Bundy, because he was not only incredibly prolific, but he escaped from confinement twice, and killed in numerous states all over the country. To me he epitomizes the horror movie vision of a killer who can't be stopped.

The Green River Killer, Gary Ridgway, appears to really have flown under the radar in terms of fame, in that he has admitted to 48 murders over a 30-year period, and to me the evidence suggests he killed hundreds.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: ThePresence

It's been speculated that he did that whole crazy shtick for entertainment, to get an easier sentence, or both. Especially his claim that his neighbor's dog told him to kill. IIRC, he didn't kill that many people either.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
I'm not exactly well informed about serial killers, in fact I don't know what exactly Jack the RIpper or Ted Bundy have done (I've heard the names but that's about it). What exactly was it that these two did that makes them so infamous? According to http://www.casebook.org/intro.html , Jack the Ripper killed under 10 prostitutes? Seems pretty minor when compared to those who have killed 200+

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: axelfox
Buffalo Bob.

"It puts the lotion on!"

:)

It's Buffalo Bill, you'd think if you remembered a quote from a movie that you would at least remember the name of the character you are quoting.
rolleye.gif

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: bradruth
Originally posted by: ThePresence

It's been speculated that he did that whole crazy shtick for entertainment, to get an easier sentence, or both. Especially his claim that his neighbor's dog told him to kill. IIRC, he didn't kill that many people either.
He killed six people I believe. But he terrorized the entire NYC. People were afraid to go out at night.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Albert Fish - the basis of Hannibal Lecter.

Ultimately, Fish did confess the unspeakable things he did to Billy Gaffney: "I brought him to the Riker Ave. dumps. There is a house that stands alone, not far from where I took him....I took the boy there. Stripped him naked and tied his hands and feet and gagged him with a piece of dirty rag I picked out of the dump. Then I burned his clothes. Threw his shoes in the dump. Then I walked back and took the trolley to 59 St. at 2 A.M. and walked from there home.
"Next day about 2 P.M., I took tools, a good heavy cat-of-nine tails. Home made. Short handle. Cut one of my belts in half, slit these halves in six strips about 8 inches long. I whipped his bare behind till the blood ran from his legs. I cut off his ears -- nose --slit his mouth from ear to ear. Gouged out his eyes. He was dead then. I stuck the knife in his belly and held my mouth to his body and drank his blood.

"I picked up four old potato sacks and gathered a pile of stones. Then I cut him up. I had a grip with me. I put his nose, ears and a few slices of his belly in the grip. Then I cut him through the middle of his body. Just below the belly button. Then through his legs about 2 inches below his behind. I put this in my grip with a lot of paper. I cut off the head -- feet -- arms-- hands and the legs below the knee. This I put in sacks weighed with stones, tied the ends and threw them into the pools of slimy water you will see all along the road going to North Beach.

"I came home with my meat. I had the front of his body I liked best. His monkey and pee wees and a nice little fat behind to roast in the oven and eat. I made a stew out of his ears -- nose -- pieces of his face and belly. I put onions, carrots, turnips, celery, salt and pepper. It was good.

"Then I split the cheeks of his behind open, cut off his monkey and pee wees and washed them first. I put strips of bacon on each cheek of his behind and put them in the oven. Then I picked 4 onions and when the meat had roasted about 1/4 hour, I poured about a pint of water over it for gravy and put in the onions. At frequent intervals I basted his behind with a wooden spoon. So the meat would be nice and juicy.

"In about 2 hours, it was nice and brown, cooked through. I never ate any roast turkey that tasted half as good as his sweet fat little behind did. I ate every bit of the meat in about four days. His little monkey was a sweet as a nut, but his pee-wees I could not chew. Threw them in the toilet."

At Sing Sing Prison on 16 January 1936 Albert Fish who described the death sentence as 'the supreme thrill of my life', was electrocuted. The first electrical charge failed as it was short circuited by all the needles Fish had inserted in his body over the years. Albert Fish had committed hundreds of sexual assaults and 16 or more murders.

I highly suggest Harold Schechter's books on murderers. He is a very good story teller.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Michael Meyers :)

But on a serious note, I would have to say the Serial Snipers that were in the Metropolitan DC area.
I say that because I was living in this area during this time, and I'll tell you it sure had the metro area in a worry state for about a month. It's not every day when you go outside and see people who are looking around, constantly moving, just when pumping gas.
Also, the victim whom was the cab driver was the father of my friend :(

So I would have to say the serial snipers

DannyBoy

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2002
www.danj.me
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: axelfox
Buffalo Bob.

"It puts the lotion on!"

:)

It's Buffalo Bill, you'd think if you remembered a quote from a movie that you would at least remember the name of the character you are quoting.
rolleye.gif

You got sand in your vagina?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Jim Jones was a mass murderer. The DC Snipers were spree killers.

I'd say the most notorious is Jack the Ripper. Scariest to me is Gein.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Mill
Jim Jones was a mass murderer. The DC Snipers were spree killers.

I'd say the most notorious is Jack the Ripper. Scariest to me is Gein.

I didn't realize that if you kill people quickly you can't be a serial killer?

Seirously though, 'serial' is a term that is given when someone murders more than a certain amount of people. I learned it in criminal justice class, but I can't remember the exact number or murders associated with a serial killer, but I am pretty sure that I do remember it was a low number, even below 10 if im not correct.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
From here:

Kouri: Who, in your professional opinion, was the most terrifying serial killer in U.S. history?

Ressler: Oh, I think Ted Bundy was probably the most brutal. [Many claim it's] Jeffrey Dahmer, but he killed his victims first and got that out of the way and then sexually assaulted the corpses or cannibalized them. But the victims were dead and didn't feel the pain of that. Bundy, on the other hand, liked to keep his victims alive and torture and torment them for a period of time before actually killing them. So I think Bundy was probably the most diabolical and most vicious.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
anyone seen the stories of dahmer or bundy on the lifetime true movie channel? they are pretty entertaining, the bundy one is better than the dahmer one though.