Who here uses Windows Phone?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
The screen's nothing close to Retina Display quality. "Retina" was coined by Apple, and refers to " high enough pixel density that the human eye is unable to notice pixelation at a typical viewing distance." With the iPhone, the target pixel density is 326 ppi. The Lumia 620 has a 3.8" display and a resolution of 800x480. Its ppi is only about 245.5, so it's way behind.

However, what you said furthers a belief that I hold. In my opinion, it's all just crap. No, I don't mean that pixel density or resolution is crap, but it's not something people really pay attention to, at least when the majority of users are discussed. That you see something that is statistically far behind "Retina" density as just below it in quality just makes me believe harder that the whole discussion and phrasing of the matter is pointless. You either like the look of the display or you don't, plain and simple.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
OK one more question that is really the red line because its the thing I have everyone in my life hooked on:

Can WP phones do unauthorized tethering like Androids or Jailbroken iPhones can?

This thread rocks and really changed my perceptions. Previously I thought of WPs as the easiest to use basic smartphones, like grandma's first smartphone.

But now I see they belong in a tier around the iPhone, maybe even higher than a non-jailbroken iPhone if they can tether.

Honestly I really miss Winmo, I had two of those devices and they were very functional back in the day. I hope MS can tap back into that legacy going forward and it sound like they made progress from last year's version of this thread.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
-poofy,

someone in another thread had mentioned how they liked/preferred Android because it was basically a full computer in their pocket. Remember MS is going the Apple route on that is NOT the intent with WP. It is designed to be a mobile device...for me that works well, for others it may not.

Hopefully 8.1 really checks off some boxes for feature parity. I think it is a smooth slick OS and hopefully it can stick around and mature.

(for me, a few things to add/improve:
notifications! :p I'm a fan of the "from the Start screen, swipe left to see notifications, right to see apps" concept
Week view in Calendar, plus more options when making appointments
When setting email to "black background setting", make composing emails the same way
Camera -- Lenses are a nice option, but I hope to see the rumored Nokia Camera app merging Pro and Smart cams. May as well throw some of their other ones in there. Also include some more basic editing features by default in the stock camera/viewing app -- crop/rotate or reframe, red eye removal, color/brightness/contrast. Make imaging one of WP selling points.

FFS, clean up the Settings menu :p)

otho11

Feb 16, 2011
Bought a Lumia 520 as a bridge until Note 3 and Nexus 5 are released. Apps are somewhat limited and screen size is small but for the price I can't complain too much.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Microsoft is positioning WP to be as easy and fluid as iOS with a good design language but more open and less restrictive about what apps can and can't access.

It's definitely worth a look for someone who needs more flexibility than iOS but more standardization than Android. I really think 2014 will be Microsoft's year they start to kick things in to drive.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Microsoft is positioning WP to be as easy and fluid as iOS with a good design language but more open and less restrictive about what apps can and can't access.

They should be positioning for when Intel competes with ARM and we will have real computers in our pocket. Initially limited in one form factor (but not if you are savvy) but a complete desktop when plugged into a desktop or laptop dock.

Android is already going down this path with the Atrix and mouse support. I think Linux will get there too. MS needs to beat Apple to the punch like how they got transforming laptops before Apple (but admittedly after Android).

One day the phone in the pocket will be the primary computer for people and all the power they need. MS needs to race to that next step, that next stage in phone development. Because they got slayed in the current stage.

Edit: But as I said before this has me hopeful. Tether and torrent is good start on the path to the optimal "technically possible."

Last edited:

Selenium_Glow

Jan 25, 2012
Selenium, which carrier are you on? I assume you're not in the U.S. because you have the Nokia ProCam app, which comes with GDR2 and Amber, which AT&T (the exclusive 920 carrier in the U.S.) hasn't pushed that update out yet.
<snip>

Yep, I'm in India... where carrier contracts don't exist and we can port over to other carriers whenever we are bored of our current ones :D

Back on topic now, WPTorrent was downloading torrents fine on my 920. My only gripe is that it doesn't save directly to the accessible phone memory and I need to enable HTTP share to transfer them to computer. Not the best Torrent app I agree, the android ones are more... well... accessible.

Never tried playing FLV exclusively, but I'll get back home and give that link poofyhairguy posted. Can't try much in office.

Also, I couldn't get mkv files to play either... that I agree is a WP drawback. No apps as of today that'd let me play them.

Last edited:

ITHURTSWHENIP

Nov 30, 2011
Its pretty dishonest to compare a Droid from 2010 to a WP 2012 product as an example of how Microsoft is better at OS updating. I know it has been swept under the rug by now but there was an OS called WP 7 wich was essentially abandoned by MS, thats probably a more fitting comparison considering the time frame

Ignoring the obvious app issues. Microsoft released their OS last year yet forgot to include rotation lock, a proper way to multitask and close apps (the current way is horrible) and no real notifications, no separate volume settings for different tasks.

Now considering Microsofts position as the underdog, its downright pathetic of them to release an OS that is lacking in basic features. And for the consumer, ultimately it doesnt matter if the operator is blocking updates or the OEM not caring about updating (in Androids case) the end result is the same

The difference is that if you buy an Android phone today, its going to be atleast on 4.1 wich is pretty complete in terms of features. Yet if you buy a WP today, you wont have freakin rotation lock. And Google is atleast trying to bypass everyone by updating the core apps, so it wont matter if LG or Samsung doesnt update the OS, the core apps will get regular updates unless you rock a phone from 4 years ago

Im not trying to hate on them here. But they are the underdog in this race, Android has almost reached Windows level of dominance and Microsoft is still trying to catch up on basic features rather than try and be ahead of the competition. We do need a strong third competitor in the market, its good for everyone. But MS is slacking off right now

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
How is it dishonest? It's not like HTC's reputation for poor support has improved in that time, from what I've heard other users say. If it was dishonest, I would just say "my Windows Phone gets better support than Android." I openly stated which device I had, along with when I had it. I wasn't dishonest in any way, considering dishonesty involves lying. I factually stated the experiences I have had with each device, so where you come up with "dishonest," I do not know.

Oh, and do you REALLY want to use WP7 as the comparison? All right, Windows Phone 7 got the 7.5 AND 7.8 updates, and it was rumored that a 7.9 update might come (I don't believe it will). 7.8 came after it was announced that Windows Phone 7 would be retired, so even a DEAD version of the OS got better support, considering that update came more than 2 years after the OS launched.

YOU call the current multitasking horrible, I call it just fine. I like it more than how applications on my Android device (namely the pre-installed garbage and the Amazon App Store) would open themselves and require frequently using the app killer on the device. Heck, who am I kidding? I usually had to go force close thing manually because the app killer wouldn't do its job entirely.

It shouldn't be a point of pride that you'll get 4.1 with a new device. It launched in July 2012, so it's pathetic to mention that you'd buy a newly-released phone with an OS version over a year old. Anything short of 4.2 with a 4.3 update in the works is pathetic. If you go buy a Windows Phone 8 device, even one launched last October, you'll get the minimum of the GDR1 update on-board. With the exception of AT&T (who is being painfully slow with GDR2), you'll actually get the latest GDR2 update with your device. You're also guaranteed GDR3 by year's end, and you're guaranteed 36 months of software support and an upgrade path to WP9 in late-2014 (if the rumored release date it to be believed; might be 8.5 in 2014 and 9 in 2015).

It's funny how you end with saying you're not trying to hate. You outright call me a liar and then go on to list these minor things (seriously, I never touched rotation lock on my Android device, nor could I tell you when I'd need it or where I'd find it in the settings) and act as if there is a massive hole in the OS's core functions.

Here's where I stand: Windows Phone can get rotation lock, if that somehow matters. Apps can be developed to get things that are missing from the Store right now. Android can't get Xbox-enabled gaming, nor can it get free Microsoft Office integration. Those are the things I want from a phone, and Android offers nothing to compete with those features (no, I don't care about Open Office).

ITHURTSWHENIP

Nov 30, 2011
How is it dishonest? It's not like HTC's reputation for poor support has improved in that time, from what I've heard other users say. If it was dishonest, I would just say "my Windows Phone gets better support than Android." I openly stated which device I had, along with when I had it. I wasn't dishonest in any way, considering dishonesty involves lying. I factually stated the experiences I have had with each device, so where you come up with "dishonest," I do not know.).

HTC is the first OEM to update to 4.3. So yes their reputation has improved. And since you post on this forum, i assume you are tech savvy enough to realize its unfair to compare a product you bought 3 years ago to something you bought last year. Things change

Oh, and do you REALLY want to use WP7 as the comparison? All right, Windows Phone 7 got the 7.5 AND 7.8 updates, and it was rumored that a 7.9 update might come (I don't believe it will). 7.8 came after it was announced that Windows Phone 7 would be retired, so even a DEAD version of the OS got better support, considering that update came more than 2 years after the OS launched.

And your Droid Incredible also got 2 major updates. It got 2.2 and 2.3, yet you want to claim that Android is worse than WP when it comes to updates? Like i said. Dishonest

YOU call the current multitasking horrible, I call it just fine. I like it more than how applications on my Android device (namely the pre-installed garbage and the Amazon App Store) would open themselves and require frequently using the app killer on the device. Heck, who am I kidding? I usually had to go force close thing manually because the app killer wouldn't do its job entirely

Well then you are in the minority. Its one of the most wanted features on the official WP forum. And Microsoft themselves also think its subpar since the 8.1 leaks have shown a different way of closing apps.

It shouldn't be a point of pride that you'll get 4.1 with a new device. It launched in July 2012, so it's pathetic to mention that you'd buy a newly-released phone with an OS version over a year old. Anything short of 4.2 with a 4.3 update in the works is pathetic. If you go buy a Windows Phone 8 device, even one launched last October, you'll get the minimum of the GDR1 update on-board. With the exception of AT&T (who is being painfully slow with GDR2), you'll actually get the latest GDR2 update with your device. You're also guaranteed GDR3 by year's end, and you're guaranteed 36 months of software support and an upgrade path to WP9 in late-2014 (if the rumored release date it to be believed; might be 8.5 in 2014 and 9 in 2015)..).

I was throwing you a bone for arguments sake. My point was that Android is pretty much feature complete, there is no big feature difference between 4.1 and 4.2 so the difference is negligable for the user. That doesnt mean phones are launching with 4.1 today, all the new phones come with 4.2.2 or 4.3 (in Samsungs case)

It's funny how you end with saying you're not trying to hate. You outright call me a liar and then go on to list these minor things (seriously, I never touched rotation lock on my Android device, nor could I tell you when I'd need it or where I'd find it in the settings) and act as if there is a massive hole in the OS's core functions.

Rotation lock is also one of the most wanted features on the official WP forum. I understand that you think the world revolves around you and the other 20 people who bought WP. But if MS ever wants to get serious and compete for real, they need to be competitive in features

Here's where I stand: Windows Phone can get rotation lock, if that somehow matters. Apps can be developed to get things that are missing from the Store right now. Android can't get Xbox-enabled gaming, nor can it get free Microsoft Office integration. Those are the things I want from a phone, and Android offers nothing to compete with those features (no, I don't care about Open Office).

Well the current user base of WP already consists of people like you. To quote the former CEO of MS:

"Mobile devices. We have almost no share," he admitted on stage, before noting he didn't know whether to be enthusiastic over his admission or uncomfortably tense.

Microsoft already has you guys in their pockets, they want the people who dont give a rats ass about Office on their phone or the Windows ecosystem. They want the people who buy Galaxy phones and iPhones. And that wont happen with the current mess they are in

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Pretty big fan of WP8.

Rotation lock...eh, don't care. It's really only useful if you want to lie in bed and read a website in portrait mode at the same time.

Multi-tasking. Again...eh, don't care. These are small screens where you cannot have two instances of different apps on at the same time.

I honestly don't understand why mobile device makers expended so much energy on making multi-tasking work.

As for android fragmentation...unless you have a Nexus device, you will get delayed OS updates and it is pretty frustrating. Like, I have an HTC EVO 3d. It still runs Android 4.0. No JB. I believe that the iphone 4s was released around the same time. Guess which one had an OS update recently? To get JB on a Samsung Galaxy Tab I own, I had to spend several hours poring over instructions and doing some hacks which technically voided the warranty.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Multi-window is one of the best features of the Note line. Watching a movie, getting a text or email and not having to leave your video to reply is awesome, same with needing a calculator when looking at a problem, or a calendar to see a future date while chatting with a friend. As far as I"m concerned no other phones really do actual multitasking, they just switch apps from foreground to background and vice versa.

As for OS updates, as has been said countless times already, WP and iOS do it differently than Android. You don't have to wait a year to get updates to core apps, they are dished out soon as they're ready. Same with new features like Android Device Manager for example, didn't need an OS update to get it.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Its pretty dishonest to compare a Droid from 2010 to a WP 2012 product as an example of how Microsoft is better at OS updating. I know it has been swept under the rug by now but there was an OS called WP 7 wich was essentially abandoned by MS, thats probably a more fitting comparison considering the time frame

I agree that it's unfortunate all the features of WP8 did not make it to WP7 devices - however, the OS hasn't really been abandoned. App developers can still easily write apps that work on both platforms, it isn't a clean break like 6.5->7 was.

Ignoring the obvious app issues. Microsoft released their OS last year yet forgot to include rotation lock, a proper way to multitask and close apps (the current way is horrible) and no real notifications, no separate volume settings for different tasks.

You don't need to close apps in Windows Phone, adding the ability to force close an app is kinda like having an elevator door close button that doesn't really do anything. When you back out of an app, it goes into a hibernate-like state. If the OS needs more memory, it will kill off hibernated apps. The ONLY apps that truly run in the background are GPS apps. Other background-capable apps use special constructs to update periodically or play audio.

However, I agree that I would like rotation lock and some sort of a "notification center" that stored your toast notifications. Live tiles are great, but the ability to view a toast that you missed would be very welcome. Luckily, both of those features are said to be coming with 8.1.

The difference is that if you buy an Android phone today, its going to be atleast on 4.1 wich is pretty complete in terms of features. Yet if you buy a WP today, you wont have freakin rotation lock. And Google is atleast trying to bypass everyone by updating the core apps, so it wont matter if LG or Samsung doesnt update the OS, the core apps will get regular updates unless you rock a phone from 4 years ago

Four years ago? "Pathetic"? Calm down with the rhetoric. Yes, it would be nice to have rotation lock, no, it really isn't worth a wild tangent.

Im not trying to hate on them here. But they are the underdog in this race, Android has almost reached Windows level of dominance and Microsoft is still trying to catch up on basic features rather than try and be ahead of the competition. We do need a strong third competitor in the market, its good for everyone. But MS is slacking off right now

It's pretty obvious that you are being intentionally inflammatory, contrary to your claims, but I do agree that MS needs to pick their game up. They actually were making great progress, with WP7, Mango, and WP8, but over the past year progress seems to have ground to a crawl. Hopefully they will finish up their swathes of logistical changes and pick up the pace again.

OK one more question that is really the red line because its the thing I have everyone in my life hooked on:

Can WP phones do unauthorized tethering like Androids or Jailbroken iPhones can?

I think it depends on the carrier. AT&T does require a tethering plan (although with mobile share you have it by default). I believe when I was on T-Mobile it didn't matter. Can't say for sure with Verizon or Sprint.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Hmmm my post from yesterday appears to have never posted....regarding the OPs original question, I've owned a Samsung Focus, Dell Venue Pro, Lumia 800, Lumia 900, Lumia 920, and HTC 8x, so I've experienced the platform a bit....I've also written about 10 or so apps for the platform.

MS's problem is they want to put the burden on developers- "just compile for all our archs." No matter how easy you make it, that means the archs won't have parity.

They need to move to a Java model where their app store binaries can run on any platform.

Well, the default way to write apps for these platforms is .NET, which is portable, like Java. The issue there is one of different SDKs, which is a separate issue - I do wish they'd take more of the Android model where a single XAP file could support different SDKs. As of now, I have to compile for WP7, WP8, and if I port to W8, also WinRT. The good news is that WP8 and WinRT actually share a common SDK set (WP8 supports the classic WP7 SDK along with the WinRT stack), so you theoretically can just write once, build twice, which isn't so bad. However, coding it to conform to the WinRT SDK means leaving behind WP7, unless you get into compiler flags....but, I digress.

Huh, looks like they got it added in. Some of the more recent reviews say it's broken but there's always reviews like that.

Yea the Chase app has had mobile deposit for a couple of years. It was broken for a little bit last year but it's fixed now.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I made the WP jump with WP 7.
Titan > Titan 2 > Samsung Focus S2 > Nokia 920 > HTC 8X > Nokia 1020.
Between my wife and 3 daughters we've owned just about every WP device and have liked or loved all of them. The 1020 is hands down the most amazing phone sold today for any OS. The 520 is a PERFECT cheap, non contract needed device for younger kids.

As for the missing apps in couldn't care less. every major app has a WP substitute.
SkyDrive and Office far out way any missing app.

ITHURTSWHENIP

Nov 30, 2011
I agree that it's unfortunate all the features of WP8 did not make it to WP7 devices - however, the OS hasn't really been abandoned. App developers can still easily write apps that work on both platforms, it isn't a clean break like 6.5->7 was..

Uh what? MS is ending support next year and they already killed Skype on it. And native apps for WP8 dont run on WP7, the platform is dead no matter how you want to spin it

You don't need to close apps in Windows Phone, adding the ability to force close an app is kinda like having an elevator door close button that doesn't really do anything. When you back out of an app, it goes into a hibernate-like state. If the OS needs more memory, it will kill off hibernated apps. The ONLY apps that truly run in the background are GPS apps. Other background-capable apps use special constructs to update periodically or play audio.

The issue is not wether or not you need to close apps. That has already been settled by Microsoft since they included a way to close apps. The issue is that its poor design and not very intuitive in how you do it. Hitting the back button is confusing. And since they obvously included a way to close an app, why not be able to do it from the task switcher screen. The leaked demos already show that MS is working on it, so your argument is moot. You are assuming all developers know/want to use correct APIs when in reality, lots of developers are crap and make crappy apps that might need to be closed. Tombstoning is not exclusive to MS, Apple uses/used it aswell and they still included a way to close apps

Four years ago? "Pathetic"? Calm down with the rhetoric. Yes, it would be nice to have rotation lock, no, it really isn't worth a wild tangent.[/QUOTE

I meant unless you bought an Android phone from the gingerbread days then it wont matter if you dont get Android 4.5. The current Android OS is pretty much feature complete (with the exception for crappy Bluetooth) and Google has found a way to bypass the carriers and OEMs with their Play Apps. But MS update plans are moot when carriers are still blocking the updates. They promised a "beta" program for people who wanted to bypass carriers but it seems to have gone up in smoke. The point is, they might find themselves in Androids position and need a solution to the carrier problem

It's pretty obvious that you are being intentionally inflammatory, contrary to your claims, but I do agree that MS needs to pick their game up. They actually were making great progress, with WP7, Mango, and WP8, but over the past year progress seems to have ground to a crawl. Hopefully they will finish up their swathes of logistical changes and pick up the pace again.

This isnt the WPCentral forum or wmpoweruser. If you only want praise and fawning over MS then perhaps this is the wrong thread. I pointed out obvious flaws that shouldnt have been there in the first place, and im dissapointed with how they are essentially ignoring an OS with great potential.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
As for the missing apps in couldn't care less. every major app has a WP substitute.
SkyDrive and Office far out way any missing app.

I'm glad you don't care about missing apps. But just because you don't doesn't mean you can invalidate everyone else in the world's needs.

And this is, quite frankly, my biggest issue with Windows Phone supporters right now. Just because they don't have an issue, they can't acknowledge that other people might.

Last edited:

sushiwarrior

Mar 17, 2010
Not a power user at all. Have an HTC 8S, I love it to death.

1. WP interface is beautiful, this is what Zune started :p
2. I find that I can get almost all social networking stuff without apps (FB messaging with the awesome messaging app, notifications from the "Me" tile, browse others updates from the "people" tile... plus uploading pictures and statuses to FB/twitter is a breeze.
3. Keyboard is excellent. The word suggestions are excellent.
4. Baconit is great, except for displaying .gif's (and it constantly runs out of memory on my phone :( )
5. "Other" storage glitch SUCKS. My phone only has 4GB built in memory (with a 32GB microSD for music). "Other" currently takes up almost 1GB, and I don't even have more than 5 apps installed!
6. As you can tell from above, I really don't use many apps at all. Baconit, IMDB, ringtone app, Skype, Amazon, Gym app, Omegle. I find they all work fine, but I simply don't use my phone for most of that stuff. I use my laptop way more often :p
7. Battery life is amazing, I get 2 full days of battery with tons of reddit browsing during boring classes and listening to music almost all day long.
8. Email is quite good, I enjoy the simple interface.
9. Music app is frustrating, almost so good except for being annoyingly laggy sometimes and having that STUPID PAUSE BETWEEN SONGS. How can seamless playback be so hard to implement :(

Overall, I would never choose android over WP (It pains me to use my GF's Android phone, it may have tons of apps and do more but it's difficult to get it to that point and it takes way too much time and always ends up slowing the phone down and stuff like that). WP just makes sense for me as a casual, "I just want it to work" kind of guy. I don't have to mess with it. It works great from the get-go, generally.

Oct 19, 2000
I used the iPhone 3G for a year and then moved over to the iPhone 4 for another year before deciding to move to Windows Phone. I wanted something different and felt like the apps situation would slowly improve, so I bought the Samsung Focus S on launch day.

I used the Focus S for a year and enjoyed using the phone, although I found that the lack of apps was annoying. With the announcement of WP8, my faith was literally renewed and I upgraded to the Lumia 920 last year. I loved WP8, it was a fresh take on the OS and there was all kinds of promise of apps catching up. Plus, the phone itself was very feature-laden.

After using the 920 for almost a year, I'm ready to switch back to the iPhone. The main reasoning is apps. I see some here have listed all kinds of apps that are on WP but the fact of the matter is that I run into situations all the time where a group of people at work is using a new app or playing a new game that I cannot join in, or, a new app will come out that would be helpful for me but I know it won't come out on WP anytime soon, if ever. It sucks and I'm tired of it. The WP advantages of built-in Office and live tiles just aren't enough to keep me around.

There's also the matter of Microsoft completely ruining the Zune brand and going to Xbox Music, which I absolutely loathe. When it first launched this time last year, it was pretty bad and I canceled my Zune Pass/Xbox Music pass because of it. After many updates to the app, I signed back up for a month and canceled the renewal just a couple of days later. They still hadn't fixed the bug of reading mp3 tag info from a network drive, which is ridiculous.

I gave Microsoft 2 years but I'm just not seeing any reason to stick around. If I didn't care about apps, I'd stick around or just go back to a simple call/text dumbphone. I still love my Microsoft OSs, my Surface Pro, my Xbox 360 and hopefully soon, my Xbox One, but I'm ordering an iPhone 5s this week. Microsoft has lost me in the mobile department.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
The problem is that you jumped on too early. WP was a pretty clean break from WinMo. It was always going to take time.

I think in the next 12-18 months WP will be more of a viable third platform and start making gains and then the app situation should really be rectified. Especially if Microsoft throws money at the problem.

I just can't wait until WP8.1 so you can do VPN connections. Although I'm in a bit of an issue now since the AnyConnect doesn't work on the 5S. But at least I can expect Cisco to release an update in the next month or so to make it work as opposed to Windows Phone which has absolutely no VPN support at all.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I'm glad you don't care about missing apps. But just because you don't doesn't mean you can invalidate everyone else in the world's needs.

And this is, quite frankly, my biggest issue with Windows Phone supporters right now. Just because they don't have an issue, they can't acknowledge that other people might.

Thing is, you didn't really pay attention to what he said. Windows Phone has a substitute for almost every missing application people care about. Instagram and YouTube aren't there, but MetroTube is often cited as being BETTER than a Google-made YouTube app, and there are probably 5 more quality ones. Instagram's got probably half a dozen apps, even though a first-party application has not been made.

Really, the meaningful holes on Windows Phone, from an application standpoint, are the games. With non-game applications, you can have a third-party application take over all of the features and work 100% fine with other platforms.

With games, you don't get that. You can't have someone make a third-party Words With Friends (which has an app, but it's not very good) or Candy Crush (which is absent altogether), because they're copyrighted games that would result in serious lawsuits IMMEDIATELY. Games are where they need to be working to fill gaps, because the third-party community is handling the regular app gaps pretty well.

Oct 19, 2000
The problem is that you jumped on too early. WP was a pretty clean break from WinMo. It was always going to take time.

I think in the next 12-18 months WP will be more of a viable third platform and start making gains and then the app situation should really be rectified. Especially if Microsoft throws money at the problem.

I don't think I jumped in too early. Two years ago when WP7.5 launched, it was all about how Microsoft was going to rectify the app problem. Last year when WP8 launched, it was all about how the new OS was going to rectify the app problem and how WP would soon have 40-something of the top 50 apps on iOS. Now with WP8.1, it's the same talk.

What I want is for apps to be available day and date with their iOS and Android counterparts, which just isn't the case and doesn't appear to be improving at all. If a popular game does finally release on WP, it's so far after the fact that nobody plays it anymore.

Windows Phone is a great mobile OS, it just started too late and I don't see evidence that it's catching back up in the app department, which is really my only legitimate complaint.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Thing is, you didn't really pay attention to what he said. Windows Phone has a substitute for almost every missing application people care about.

No, I totally paid attention to what he's saying. It's just a common argument that is constantly used on WM fan sites and Reddit.

What some of you are failing to realize is that there is a genre of applications that exist outside of social media. Every time the app argument gets brought up its always MetroTube this and 6tagram that. Apps that I don't really give a shit about. I understand that for a lot of people they're important and can see that they might make or break a decision to choose a platform. But I constantly fail to see the WP faithful concede anything on that front. It's like they walk through life with blinders on focusing on only the things they care about while minimizing the significance of things they may not use.

And I don't even talk about games. Games are a just a known deficiency on WP. One Spartan Assault certainly doesn't make up for it. That game wasn't even really that good anyways.

Let's start with simple, basic enterprise level functionality. Come PM me when I can connect to my VPN at work to access things on my corporate network sometime in early 2014. Then we can take it from there.

Last edited: