Who here plays ut2004...

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
Just curious...was playing on UMGLeague's 32 player Torlan server the other day and someone named melissa knew that I put a 22 after my SN sometimes...only place I do that is here, so I'm assuming he/she is from AT...

MobileLoser

Mar 3, 2007
I play with the screen name Raz3000, though I haven't been on for a month. I finally got a job after college :)

3NF

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2005
UT2004 is the only PC game I play, usually DM. I'm waiting for 2007.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I can't wait for UT3. Maybe it will get me off my WoW addiction for hours at a time.

Vidda

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: rh71
I can't wait for UT3. Maybe it will get me off my WoW addiction for hours at a time.

My 3.5-year wait for a new computer will culminate the week before UT3 is released. :D

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: rh71

I can't wait either.

It might get me off my UT2k4 addiction ;)

But seriously, Epic is pissing me off bigtime.

I know they could release it already, but they're too busy with the goddamn Xbox 360/PS3 version markets, which is why we likely will see it just before Christmas.

If they wait till 2008...:(

RedBeard

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2000
Hmm...
Read the thread title and thought this was gonna be a cheesey online romance thing.
"Meilissa" probably has a beard.
Good luck on your "quest"

Bradtechonline

Jul 20, 2006
<3 UT 2004

I really like the Team Arena Master mod

I'm a vet Quake II Rocket Arena 2 player, and appreciate what the mod maker did with it.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: RedBeard
Hmm...
Read the thread title and thought this was gonna be a cheesey online romance thing.
"Meilissa" probably has a beard.
Good luck on your "quest"

Melissa is probably an acronym for: MEL IS South American. So you're really looking for a Melvin.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Accipiter22
Just curious...was playing on UMGLeague's 32 player Torlan server the other day and someone named melissa knew that I put a 22 after my SN sometimes...only place I do that is here, so I'm assuming he/she is from AT...

It wasn't me...when I play Onslaught I play as WHIPperSNAPper. See you online and definitely check out the Omnip)o(tents server and community, http://www.omnipotents.com/

UT 99 CTF players...contact me and ask me about unscheduled spontaneously organized pickup-games (PUG) matches.

Oct 30, 2004

Yes. The failure of UT 2003 and UT 2004 hurt the franchise a lot, but a large group of people are still hoping that UT3 will be the charm and restore some of the online dominance that the original UT99 had.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Yes. The failure of UT 2003 and UT 2004 hurt the franchise a lot, but a large group of people are still hoping that UT3 will be the charm and restore some of the online dominance that the original UT99 had.

Hrm, I didn't really see UT2K4 as a failure as much as an attempt to fix what UT2K3 was truly lacking. The unfortunate part is that people that actually paid for UT2K3 then had to pay for UT2K4 to get what they should've had in the first place.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
UT is still my fav online killing for the hell of it time wasting game. pretty much plays on any hardware. Great games. If only the would remake Duke Nukem 3D to take advantage of todays HW, keep all the same maps and all, I love playing that online back in the day. If they can remake Tombraider they can remake Duke Nukem 3d. :)

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Hrm, I didn't really see UT2K4 as a failure as much as an attempt to fix what UT2K3 was truly lacking. The unfortunate part is that people that actually paid for UT2K3 then had to pay for UT2K4 to get what they should've had in the first place.

I enjoy playing UT 2004 Onslaught but the CTF doesn't feel right and a great many serious UT99 players totally rejected UT 2003 and UT 2004 after trying it. (I'm trying to convince some UT99 CTF friends of mine to give Onslaught a try.)

However, UT 2004 doesn't have anything near the online player count numbers three years after its release that UT99 had three years after its release. To me, that says "failure". It's as though the game failed to bring new players into the fold and to retain their interest for more than a couple months. Also, the competitive scene in UT 2004 paled in comparison to that of UT99 (where you could once find 150+ teams on a single CTF ladder league, or so I've been told).

I'd like to see UT3 gobble up and retain the interest of 40% of the online multiplayer FPS market. What else is available to compete with it? Just Counterstrike, Battlefield, Call of Duty, America's Army, and FEAR Combat.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
UT3 might be a bit bigger if they can let PC, XBOX 360 and PS3 play together. But I doubt that will ever happen and the game existing on other consoles may eat into the PC sales for the game. Because you know... silly people that buy FPS games on a console :p.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Aikouka
Hrm, I didn't really see UT2K4 as a failure as much as an attempt to fix what UT2K3 was truly lacking. The unfortunate part is that people that actually paid for UT2K3 then had to pay for UT2K4 to get what they should've had in the first place.</end quote></div>

I enjoy playing UT 2004 Onslaught but the CTF doesn't feel right and a great many serious UT99 players totally rejected UT 2003 and UT 2004 after trying it. (I'm trying to convince some UT99 CTF friends of mine to give Onslaught a try.)

However, UT 2004 doesn't have anything near the online player count numbers three years after its release that UT99 had three years after its release. To me, that says "failure". It's as though the game failed to bring new players into the fold and to retain their interest for more than a couple months. Also, the competitive scene in UT 2004 paled in comparison to that of UT99 (where you could once find 150+ teams on a single CTF ladder league, or so I've been told).

I'd like to see UT3 gobble up and retain the interest of 40% of the online multiplayer FPS market. What else is available to compete with it? Just Counterstrike, Battlefield, Call of Duty, America's Army, and FEAR Combat.
</end quote></div>

People don't like the fast paced arena style games anymore. UT GOTY was special because there weren't that many online games available, and the game play was novel. Ut2k4 is superior to GOTY in every way, but with all the competition, and the huge learning curve involved, people have gone on to easier, more accessible games.

Edit:

Btw I'm Zoë(Co30)

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: lxskllr
People don't like the fast paced arena style games anymore. UT GOTY was special because there weren't that many online games available, and the game play was novel. Ut2k4 is superior to GOTY in every way, but with all the competition, and the huge learning curve involved, people have gone on to easier, more accessible games.

If UT 2004 is so superior to UT99 then why did most UT99 players turn away from UT 2003 in disgust? Why did the most serious and dedicated players--the clan community--reject UT 2003 and UT 2004?

For the record, I enjoy UT 2004 and play it more than the Original now, but the Original had, by far, the better CTF game. UT 2004 is kept alive by Onslaught but failed in CTF--the most important game type.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
I still play UT99 botmatch frequently. Problem with UT2004 is that the guns just feel nerfed. I mean, compare the Link gun to the Pulse gun. The shots fire slower, do less damage. Same thing with the Flak Cannon. The sniper rifle was way better in UT99 as well, and the Enforcer was a much better starting weapon than the Assault Rifle.

IMO, the only thing UT2004 had going for it was Onslaught, otherwise the game was simply slower paced and lacked the oomph that UT99 had.