Who here plays golf? I am looking to get into it .. (again)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: Kyle
Originally posted by: TheGoodGuy
well my friend has a few clubs, i am going to the driving range with tehm on wednesday afternoon. ITs 4 bucks for 50 balls to play. on the driving range. As you guys said the balls arent an issue, in ancase im getting the cheapest..walmart has 48 balls for 20.. i think.

The cougar branded clubs are horrid. I was thinking wilson. I will check ebay.

wow that brings back memories...my first set was a cougar set...I actually liked them a lot- had some great rounds with them.
Now I have a set of fitted Titiliest (wow I cant spell) but I havent played in probably 4 years...I really want to get back in to it, but I dont have any friends that play...I'll probably start going back to the range soon though...

go to a course as a single, I'm sure you'll pick somebody up. If it's a fairly busy place just say "hey, I'm a single...can ya fit me in?"

Do yourself and the world a favor and spend some time at the range before playing as a single. You don't have to be good to join up with strangers, but it helps to at least be competent. You're going to have to keep up with the other players and a course filled with rough, trees, water, sand and hills is no place to learn. It's wayyyy too frustrating to venture out onto a real course until you have the ability to make solid contact with the ball. If you can hit it straight and solid you can play anywhere with anyone even if you can only hit it 75 yards. If you whiff 2 out of 5 swings and hit giant slices on the other 3 it's best to stay on the range for a bit. And don't ignore the ettiquette of the game, especially when playing as a single. How you act is more important than how you play, especially when playing with strangers.

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
Whatever you do, don't get cheap clubs from Walmart with graphite shafts. They break very quickly.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Gag does have a point.

As long as you can keep up you're fine.

If the guys you just joined are constantly staring back at you, just pick up and move on.

Gag - when you gonna fit me brother? I need some new irons.

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Originally posted by: Kyle
Originally posted by: TheGoodGuy
well my friend has a few clubs, i am going to the driving range with tehm on wednesday afternoon. ITs 4 bucks for 50 balls to play. on the driving range. As you guys said the balls arent an issue, in ancase im getting the cheapest..walmart has 48 balls for 20.. i think.

The cougar branded clubs are horrid. I was thinking wilson. I will check ebay.

wow that brings back memories...my first set was a cougar set...I actually liked them a lot- had some great rounds with them.
Now I have a set of fitted Titiliest (wow I cant spell) but I havent played in probably 4 years...I really want to get back in to it, but I dont have any friends that play...I'll probably start going back to the range soon though...

go to a course as a single, I'm sure you'll pick somebody up. If it's a fairly busy place just say "hey, I'm a single...can ya fit me in?"

Do yourself and the world a favor and spend some time at the range before playing as a single. You don't have to be good to join up with strangers, but it helps to at least be competent. You're going to have to keep up with the other players and a course filled with rough, trees, water, sand and hills is no place to learn. It's wayyyy too frustrating to venture out onto a real course until you have the ability to make solid contact with the ball. If you can hit it straight and solid you can play anywhere with anyone even if you can only hit it 75 yards. If you whiff 2 out of 5 swings and hit giant slices on the other 3 it's best to stay on the range for a bit. And don't ignore the ettiquette of the game, especially when playing as a single. How you act is more important than how you play, especially when playing with strangers.

Trust me, I know all about ettiquette and everything...tought by my grandpa who's emphasis was on ettiquette, then played on a team for a couple years...last time I played I was somewhere in the 80's, I'm guessing now I'd be pushing 100...but I hope I wouldnt be whiffing =)
Not sure if you were responding to me or to the OP, I think he said he had some friends to play with so I assume you were talking to me.
man this thread really has me wanting to go play a round....maybe this weekend...I just dont know any courses in the Seattle area, - grew up in Oregon

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Kyle,

there are plenty of clubs that you could join suited to your skill level.

now get out there and PLAY!

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Gag does have a point.

As long as you can keep up you're fine.

If the guys you just joined are constantly staring back at you, just pick up and move on.

Gag - when you gonna fit me brother? I need some new irons.

That's the key. There are actually more people who hate playing with good golfers than playing with bad ones. Good golfers are intimidating, but mediocre guys love playing with people they can beat. You don't need to be good, as long as you can KEEP UP and follow the ettiquette of the game you'll always be welcome as a playing partner. The best advice for beginners is to "miss it quick". You're going to hit a lot of bad shots and freezing over the ball or taking 10 practice swings won't change that fact. Be ready to hit when it's your turn, play quickly and then move on to play your next shot. You can shoot 140 and not hold anyone up as long as you play those 140 shots without screwing around.

Spidey, what are you hitting now, what shafts are in them, what's your ballflight like, what's your miss pattern and what are you hoping to get out of a new set?