Who here can sing?

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
I'm interested in finding out who has harnessed the power of their vocal chords. Please vote in the poll, and post some details of your vocal music background!

Me: I started taking choir in the middle of college for the hell of it, and I found I loved it. I also discovered karaoke around that time, and some friends and I dabbled in barbershop quartet. So basically, I had a couple of semesters of voice lessons (which didn't really do much), but five semesters of college choir, plus my church's choir whenever I could, and karaoke once in a while. EDIT: I am tempted to take formal singing lessons at Chicago's Old Town School Of Music, it's just a matter of time and money.

EDIT: Added semi-pro option

mjrpes3

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2004
IMHO you should take the last option out, as it gives meaningless data; better just to let people decide the most important one.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
I'll sing every once in a while - I like to head over to the Sears Tower or Navy Pier in Chicago to try out my chops

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
I'm no pro, but have sung in some local stage performances growing up. I don't really anymore though.

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
thinly veiled chicago pimping thread

:D

Originally posted by: mjrpes3
IMHO you should take the last option out, as it gives meaningless data; better just to let people decide the most important one.

I'm trying to get an idea of everyone's singing background, so as I asked in the OP I hope they will elaborate with posted details when they vote.

For example, two people have already claimed to be pro - who are you?

KnickNut3

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2001
There needs to be something between professional singer and non-pro chorus member.

I've performed music concerts and had roles in regional theater, but I wouldn't call myself a professional. I'd like to think I could if I caught the right break, met the right people, and made it a priority in my life (which it isn't).

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
I don't know if I can type this correctly while I laugh my ass off at Quasmo's Rossman song...I really enjoy singing, I sang in an a cappella group at Michigan...but it's just something I enjoy, I'd never purport to being good enough to make money from it. Well, other than at karaoke when women throw underwear and dollar bills at me, but that's a different story...:p

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
Originally posted by: KnickNut3
There needs to be something between professional singer and non-pro chorus member.

I've performed music concerts and had roles in regional theater, but I wouldn't call myself a professional. I'd like to think I could if I caught the right break, met the right people, and made it a priority in my life (which it isn't).

I have added a "semi-pro" option, hope it's close enough.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i'm not sure why people bother making polls about stuff like this. its never accurate.
so now we can say that not only do ATOTers date supermodels, are very good looking and in great shape, drive porsches and ferraris, made their 1st million dollars before they were 20, currently make $300,000 a year, but they all have professional singing voices.

I'm proud to be amongst such great people...

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
Originally posted by: pontifex
i'm not sure why people bother making polls about stuff like this. its never accurate.
so now we can say that not only do ATOTers date supermodels, are very good looking and in great shape, drive porsches and ferraris, made their 1st million dollars before they were 20, currently make $300,000 a year, but they all have professional singing voices.

There's really no need to threadcrap, even if it's a Monday morning. I am looking for honest answers, looking at the poll results so far I'd say I'm doing pretty good.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Steve
Originally posted by: pontifex

There's really no need to threadcrap, even if it's a Monday morning. I am looking for honest answers, looking at the poll results so far I'd say I'm doing pretty good.

who's thread crapping? i'm just overjoyed by the greatness of the members of this forum!

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Everyone can sing. only few can sing well.

and pontifex is right. the results are NEVER close to being right. While many lie about how good looking they are and how much money they make. I do not. I am 6'6 200lbs, make $289k a year and my wife is a ex-model (got tired of all the travel).

;)

edit: oh and was lead singer in a band!

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
i sing in choirs, am often asked to do the solo's, am a big time quartet singer, have the range to sing all 4 parts altho first tenor is stretching it just a bit. my bass is pretty good, better than your average good bass.

obviously the sweet spot of my range is baritone / 2nd tenor.

the other day i was vocalizing and i hit the B just below high C and the D just above Low C. so, i'm not an exceptional high tenor (they will hit high c's easily or an exceptional bass, they hit Low C's easily) but i have a good range.

i have very very good pitch, not perfect pitch but pretty close, when i sing a lot my ability to always find certain notes improves.

i enjoy singing a great deal, but my voice is not suited for todays pop music at all. i would do well with harry connick jr type stuff tho.

clickynext

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2004
I sing in choirs during school terms where I can find the time.

And of course singing karaoke, and in the shower, and recording random stuff for fun on adobe audition. :D

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
"I sing along with the radio in the car, but only when nobody's with me"

my new boss is an ametuer or part time, not sure which, opera singer