who gets Mars?

adelphi

Banned
Dec 28, 2003
if the US probe/walker thing actually finds water there, i wonder will there be a dash for land grab
as any capable nation will try to colonize/stake their claim there ASAP

a sign planted into the martian soiled
"To contact owner of this planet, please visit US.Earth.this sector of the solarsys.this solar system,
this galaxy, this universe, this dimension, this reality..."

after that, competition for the control of spice, mineral patches and enerjon cubes will begin

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
WTF - am I the only one missing the real point or idea of this thread? Why would people buy land on mars if there was water?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I believe by international treaty, no country gets to "own" a part of any of the planets (or the moon, etc.)

That didn't stop some douchebag from thinking that he could legally sell plots of land on the moon and mars, etc. Sort of like one of those "name a star after yourself" things..

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
Mars Odyssey already found high concentrations of water ice (20-50% by mass) in the upper lattitudes, first meter of soil. You have to go deeper for ice the closer to the equator you get, probably 750 feet down at the equator based on studies of craters. It's not going to find water sitting on the surface becasue water can't exist in an atmosphere with that low of a pressure, it boils.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
I'm proud to be an American. I don't think anyone will take "claim", but we will have the honor and dignity of being the first to find it, and send people there first (and yes I am very sure on this). Considering Bush is finally pushing a proposal to plan for a manned mission to Mars, and everything I have seen so far from NASA has said around 2018, I would say we should be the first to go, and get humans back alive. Sooner than later we will start sending larger ships to mars with a HAB, and fuel production stations. You will see. Instead of how we went to the moon (one flight brings everything, return vehicle, return fuel, and HAB), we will send it in components. First we will send two rockets up to Mars with identical payloads. They will have a HAB, a return vehicle, and a fuel production plant for the return vehicle. Why two you ask? redundancy. If one goes South, the other will be able to take it's place. This also prepares for future missions after the initial one. Each mission will include this prep vehicle, and the manned vehicle.

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: KraziKid
I'm proud to be an American. We will take claim and send people there first (and yes I am very sure on this). Considering Bush is finally pushing a proposal to plan for a manned mission to Mars, and everything I have seen so far from NASA has said around 2018, I would say we should be the first to go, and get humans back alive. Sooner than later we will start sending larger ships to mars with a HAB, and fuel production stations. You will see. Instead of how we went to the moon (one flight brings everything, return vehicle, return fuel, and HAB), we will send it in components. First we will send two rockets up to Mars with identical payloads. They will have a HAB, a return vehicle, and a fuel production plant for the return vehicle. Why two you ask? redundancy. If one goes South, the other will be able to take it's place. This also prepares for future missions after the initial one. Each mission will include this prep vehicle, and the manned vehicle.

Case for Mars? I hope Zubrin can throw a little common sense into whatever NASA comes up with. Or we will have another 400 billion dollar proposal that gets shot down.

The country that gets their first and enforces that claim gets Mars.

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
I'm proud to be an American. I don't think anyone will take "claim", but we will have the honor and dignity of being the first to find it, and send people there first (and yes I am very sure on this). Considering Bush is finally pushing a proposal to plan for a manned mission to Mars, and everything I have seen so far from NASA has said around 2018, I would say we should be the first to go, and get humans back alive. Sooner than later we will start sending larger ships to mars with a HAB, and fuel production stations. You will see. Instead of how we went to the moon (one flight brings everything, return vehicle, return fuel, and HAB), we will send it in components. First we will send two rockets up to Mars with identical payloads. They will have a HAB, a return vehicle, and a fuel production plant for the return vehicle. Why two you ask? redundancy. If one goes South, the other will be able to take it's place. This also prepares for future missions after the initial one. Each mission will include this prep vehicle, and the manned vehicle.

Wow way to go Bill Nye

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Magnum375

Wow way to go Bill Nye
What do you mean way to go? This plan has been documented in several book's I have read, and even on TV shows of late. It is the safest method to go there, and most cost effective. Pretty much the only debate left is whether to send the astronauts on a direct route to Mars (around 6-7 Month journey), or a slingshot route around Venus (around 1.2-1.5 year journey). Those time's depend when during the launch window you leave.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Man will not step foot on Mars in the near future. Perhaps in a couple of hundred years, by not now. We can develop the technology but there is no need. Robots can do everything that needs to be done for a far lower cost. We need to take care of the problem we have created here at home before taking our hate into the cosmos.

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Mars Odyssey already found high concentrations of water ice (20-50% by mass) in the upper lattitudes, first meter of soil.
Can you provide a link to prove this statement?

Bleep

matt426malm

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2003

Wow way to go Bill Nye
What do you mean way to go? This plan has been documented in several book's I have read, and even on TV shows of late. It is the safest method to go there, and most cost effective. Pretty much the only debate left is whether to send the astronauts on a direct route to Mars (around 6-7 Month journey), or a slingshot route around Venus (around 1.2-1.5 year journey). Those time's depend when during the launch window you leave.

Hoffman Transfer is way better than the Venus sling shot. Accelerated Hoffman transfer for the trip there. No rush with the unmanned rocket, that could be straight Hoffman Transfer, bigger payload because speed isn't an issue with the unmanned rocket.

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001

Wow way to go Bill Nye

What would be the theoretical benefit of going the long way? (serious question here, just wondering)

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: CubicZirconia

Wow way to go Bill Nye

What would be the theoretical benefit of going the long way? (serious question here, just wondering)
Look at what matt426malm said. The unmanned stuff will take the slingshot route around Venus (costs less money), while the manned mission will go direct (more expensive, but quicker).

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
Man will not step foot on Mars in the near future. Perhaps in a couple of hundred years, by not now. We can develop the technology but there is no need. Robots can do everything that needs to be done for a far lower cost. We need to take care of the problem we have created here at home before taking our hate into the cosmos.
How can you actually believe that? The first country to step foot on Mars will get the pride of being the first country to have a manned inter-planetary mission. Granted, we went to the moon so quickly because of the Cold War, and most likely would have already been to Mars if the Cold War was still here (Granted it would have cost a few hundred billion dollars, I believe around 500 billion), but now it is for scientific reasons. The rocks and soil of Mars contain many elements that are hard to find on Earth, and the mining of these elements and minerals could help us hear on Mars. Then comes the issue of life on Mars. If we find life, either alive or fossilized, it will be a huge breakthrough. It will mean that we are not alone, and will also mean that the probability of life being elsewhere in the Universe will skyrocket.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
How can you actually believe that? The first country to step foot on Mars will get the pride of being the first country to have a manned inter-planetary mission. Granted, we went to the moon so quickly because of the Cold War, and most likely would have already been to Mars if the Cold War was still here (Granted it would have cost a few hundred billion dollars, I believe around 500 billion), but now it is for scientific reasons. The rocks and soil of Mars contain many elements that are hard to find on Earth, and the mining of these elements and minerals could help us hear on Mars. Then comes the issue of life on Mars. If we find life, either alive or fossilized, it will be a huge breakthrough. It will mean that we are not alone, and will also mean that the probability of life being elsewhere in the Universe will skyrocket.

Evidently you don't understand, LIttle Grasshopper. If we find life on another world then we would have to take either an offensive or defensive posture. We are not a peaceful peole. Any contact we make with "others" will be violent. What makes you believe otherwise?

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
No one else but the US has the technology to go to Mars, so technically we can say "FU" to everyone else

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002

Evidently you don't understand, LIttle Grasshopper. If we find life on another world then we would have to take either an offensive or defensive posture. We are not a peaceful peole. Any contact we make with "others" will be violent. What makes you believe otherwise?
Do you honestly believe we are going to find creatures on Mars capable of fighting? If we find anything it will be micro-organisms, and I don't think we are going to war with the micro-organisms.