Who first came up with the concept of the electromagnetic launcher?

AreaCode7O7

Mar 6, 2005
From "Sunstorm" by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter:

"The idea of an electromagnetic launcher dates back to the 1950s, I think. A science fiction writer. Famous in his day..."

I'm less interested in who actually came up with the idea than I am in who they are talking about. Apparently I didn't hit the right Google keywords immediately and I have to run to work so I can't spend too much time poking around to figure it out. Any guesses? I'm wondering if it's a coy reference to Clarke himself.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Another thing you could search on is linear induction motors. I'm pretty sure that's what they call the string of electro-magnets that accelerates the projectile. They're pretty cool. They use them on some roller coasters now so that there is no need to have a first gigantic hill for the train to gain it's acceleration. Instead they use the LIM's to launch the train up to speed right out of the station. The Batman & Robin ride at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey had this.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I can't see this ever being a reality.
The amount of power it would take to launch something into space using magnets is enormous.
They would need their own nuclear power plant just to power it.

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
Originally posted by: Modelworks
I can't see this ever being a reality.
The amount of power it would take to launch something into space using magnets is enormous.
They would need their own nuclear power plant just to power it.
So you deny Captain Video's Galaxy II and it's powers?