Who figured out we can eat this crap????

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purplehayes

Golden Member
Mar 31, 2000
WombatWoman I live in Georgia and I remember getting a little carried away with the weed killer around my property line and my nextdoor neighbor coming over to tell me I killed the 'poke greens' plant. I had an extremely puzzled look on my face the whole time he was telling me how it was poisonous until you did the 'rinse, lather, repeat' bit. What the Heck?

PH

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
ok y'all.... here's a deusie for you:

ROCKY MOUNTAIN OYSTERS

I can see it now. Gotta castrate that bull. Mmm.... That looks yummy! Let's eat 'em!

Brrrr.....

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
WombatWoman, I figured that someone with a lot of common sense figured it out. But for that pineapple one, I think that person was desparete or curious.

ratkil

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2000
Well this may all be fun and games to some of you, but those of us who dedicate our life to the search for better cuisine take it deadly serious. I for one, will not rest until I have successfully tackled the dilema of how best to prepare and consume jellyfish........

nickdakick

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
haggis:UUUUAAAHH, when you're lonesome in the highlands you probably compose something like that *shakingwithdisgust*
ciao
Nik

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Didn't a surviving member of the Donner Party eat one of his dead friends? Seems like the worst possible cuisine to me. Frog legs, cockroaches and escargot sound like wonderful fare, by comparison.

In college, one of my friends would pick up road kill, freeze it until he was ready to eat it, then boil the h*ll out of it. He didn't have a meal pass. Poor b*astard! Didn't hurt him any.

Hyper99

Banned
Jun 14, 2000
I came from a poor country that eating dog was a common thing,
in Asia.
The dog was either starved to death itself or was just insane, and had diseases before it was eatten.
You tell me, if you have nothing to eat to stay alive, you don't have much of a choice.
As for cats, nobody eat them cause they are not edible.
Some people are misunderstanding that if you have much to eat
you no reason to eat this poor animal vs nothing to eat but anything around you see it two different world
we are talking about.
So some of you saying you rather starved to death?
Then I wouldn't be alive today.
Not to mention we also eat tree leaves and that made us really sick instead.
Also centipede, that was yum yum.
Crickets, fleas, worms. You name it the list goes on just to stay alive. Frogs leg was found in the ponds, lot of them and yes they are
quite tasty.
The government does not care about the people in asia
they prefer we starve to death, now that is evil.
They put everyone in concentration camp and slaughter family
1 by 1 slowly until half of the population was dead
when the Vietnamese fought in and saved all of us.
50 percent of Cambodian are of Chinese descendant, or are mixed.
I'm from Cambodia, I moved here when I was 9, now I am 27
so you figure that out when I came here.

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
Maxim magazine had an article a while back on the lesser known meats. Here's how they rated them:

Rattlesnake: Not much meat, too many bones *
Lion: Not tasty enough for the price that you pay **
Kangaroo: Tasty, but can give you indegestion ***
Emu: &quot;Tangy like chicken, with the consistency of beef&quot; ****
Crocodile: &quot;Tastes like eating a whole zoo in each bite&quot; *****

Good luck finding any of those at a restraunt though.

JPT

Jan 23, 2000
Actually croc and ostrich are getting very common in Europe, especcialy since the mad cow disease started to get everybody worried...

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
There are actually quite a few ostrich farms here in PA. I've actually seen someone eat an ostrich steak. It was described as being alot like a regular steak, but alot leaner.

JPT

Jan 23, 2000
Yup! Taste is remotely similar to beef with the texture remotely similar to chicken... Remotely strange but very good!

JPT

Jan 23, 2000
(hey - love your mac motto!!!!!)
Well, some people believe the disease can be transmitted to humans, even thou there is no scientific proof of it...

MrsSkywalker

Jun 30, 2000
Hyper99- I don't think anyone meant to offend you with this thread. Starvation is a very serious problem. However, this is just a light hearted discussion on some of the foods people choose to eat and what made them want to eat them in the first place. No one is making a joke about starvation, they are just curious what the first guy to suck on a cow's udder or eat cow lips was thinking.

Am I wrong anyone?

MrsSkywalker

Jun 30, 2000
My grandmother used to eat head cheese and blood sausage on bread smeared with lard. She always wondered why I didn't want a bite!

Jimbo

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I think that all of these &quot;food ideas&quot; were born out of starvation and outright desperation for something to eat. Who the hell looks at rotten milk (yogurt) and says yummy! No one! They probably had to hold their nose to get that first batch down.
Hyper99: I have read your post three times now and I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. I thought I was following it the second time through, but that end still has me scratching my head.
Are you trying to say that we ignorant Americans don't know how good we have it or that we are just not capable of basic math skills?
Either way, I figured you would have learned a little more about the written English language (in the last 18 years) before you come here and try to tell us how dumb we are.

Jimbo

Hyper99

Banned
Jun 14, 2000
You guy/gal have misunderstood my point.
You have no ideas I was born in a hell place, called Cambodia
Most people have died cause of screw up government, and they wanted you dead no matter what.
Hard to explain as it sound unbelivable but like I said they hate us
period.
I'm not calling you dumb, you are jumping on a wrong conclusion.
What I am saying this is a very good country.
I like it here, and that I am as a proud American as you are.
I've got my citizenship 10 years ago.
All you got to do is ask, not try to make sense of it yourself
When I first came here, I could eat alot more then I can chew!
Before I came here I was like a starving african kid!
Jimbo you seem to critizise people too much I don't see how you can make sense of anything.
I speak perfectly well, and if you can't understand a word you either
are ignorant or prejudice.
So please don't give me this crap.
It get on my nerve when one pretend to be and get all crazy
with this can't understand a word, read it 3 times etc... well try reading it a 100 times then.
Sheesh.

>>before you come here and try to tell us how dumb we are.
Did I say anything like that in my post?
Well?
You know I am offended how someone just get all worked up
and you're over your head, or should I say out of your mind.
Maybe we should just ignore each other from now on I can't get along with anyone like this.

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks JPT. The cow on crack comment I made has to do with cracking the RSA Labs RC5-64 encryption code for those that may be confused by my comment. I wasn't quite sure if you understood that or not, since you gave an explaination of mad cow disease.

Hyper99, I sympathize with what you had to go through, it's a tragedy that in this day and age (or any for that matter) people are still starving to death. Although your english may not be perfect, I for one understood what you were trying to say the first time I read it.

Hyper99

Banned
Jun 14, 2000
MrsSkywalker, you have no ideas what is like to be Asian and that
what around you is mostly American.
Most people are not going to like you for that by the look of your skin.
Even thought I been here for so long say 18yrs
I still am not treated like one, unless I look alike.
I have no friends today, well that is it also difficult to find friend
or if even any at all.
All my life I have people that just love to tease me for the fun of it
I get the impression that I'm not liked around here.
I don't like it but nothing I can do about it either.
American love to joke around, and that I can understand.
I find it pretty funny myself but not when they say my face is flat like the wall, stretches their
eye to look like mine, and name calling too.
It is funny but it also putting someone down.
Example... What's up beloved patriot!
You eye is too small, can't you open it up a little bigger?
I have been told numerous time to go back to my country
and even by stranger too.
It bad enought already that I have risked my life to come here and to be treated like this.
I could go on and on like this indefinitely and you wouldn't have a clue because you have had an easy life.
As saying goes some people you will get along and some you will not.
BottomLine is that the way I have been treated for all my life here
and I'm not saying all American are bad.
Some are pretty nice indeed and I do enjoy talking to them and we
become friend instead.
I just have to learn to ignore those ignorant type that all that start bad mouthing about me without knowing anything about my culture and have no understand whatsoever where I grew up, and how I got here.
They don't care period.
Interesting enought some find it fascinating when I explain it to them. LOFL

Jimbo

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hyper99: First of all, I admire your ability to have come through the reign of Pol Pot alive. Many of your countrymen did not fare as well. If most us on this board had to endure the same, this would be a much smaller board.
Anyone that says those comments to you (What's up beloved patriot-You eye is too small; can't you open it up a little bigger?) Should be slapped upside the head. That is the mark of an A$$hole and you, nor anyone else, should have to put up with it. That is just plain wrong!
The wording of your original post still seems like a slam to the ignorant Americans. I do not know if you meant it the way it was posted, but I can only look at what is typed and not what is inside of your head trying to come out through your keyboard.
We have a phrase over here that goes ?It?s not what you say but how you say it?.
Good luck and I admire your spirit.

Jimbo

MrsSkywalker

Jun 30, 2000
Hyper99- Where did that attack come from? I'm sorry if you have been a victim of racist remarks, but they certainly didn't come from me. In fact, read my post again. I mentioned NOTHING about your race, heritage, or personal struggles. I merely pointed out that you were viewing the topic in the wrong way. I resent the fact that you put me in the same category as racists just because I pointed something out to you that you may not have noticed. You read my post and automatically assumed that I was putting you down and insulting your intelligence because of past encounters you've had with racism. Well, once again, you mistook what was said. I have never called you a &quot;beloved patriot&quot; and I have never insulted your looks and I have never told you you should go back to your country, and I never would. But, I can have a different view than you and not be racist, prejiduced, or ignorant.

Don't take your anger and bitterness about the jerks in this world out on me.

Shazam

Golden Member
Dec 15, 1999
Jellyfish is a Chinese delicacy. It's served in strips, stir fried with a sauce. Jellyfish itself is actually quite flavorless.

Funny food story: When my grandfather immigrated to Canada from Korea, he bought a can of dog food, thinking it was actually dog, because it had a picture of a dog on the front.

Crocodile, ostrich, buffalo and snake are served in this one fondue restaurant in Banff, Alberta. Quite good supposedly.