Who else is in ISP jail?

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
I just discovered during some openvpn testing, that I am on my ISP's private network instead of having a public IP address. :mad: How have you guys solved this problem?

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Yep. If you need a public IP, pay for one. If not, keep using the connection the way it is now since it's simply another layer of NAT and won't affect you unless you are hosting a server (and then you'll need a public IP).

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
it's simply another layer of NAT and won't affect you unless you are hosting a server (and then you'll need a public IP).

Very up-to-date stuff generally will work OK.

Older stuff, including VoIP/video conferencing, online gaming, remote access software (e.g. VNC, logmein), smart devices (e.g. DVRs), peer-to-peer applications, instant messangers, etc. can have big problems with double NAT, depending on design. The design of the ISP's NAT also strongly affects how effectively this type of application can work. Not all ISPs use "application friendly" NAT routers.

If you have something which doesn't work, then the solution is easy, pay for a public IP. If you find things work adequately, then keep things as they are.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
Ok I called my ISP about this and they gave me a public ip. Question though, they gave me a /29 address which has a range of 6 ip addresses. Is this normal? Only one address is reported as my public ip though.