Who else has gone thru ACL reconstruction sugery?!?

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Some of you may remember (but probably not) about 2-3 months ago a made a thread after I had injured my knee. I had past injuries with it and feared the worst. I decided to go to the doc. and it was a good thing. Shortly after I had ACL reconstruction sugery. Turns out my ACL was obliterated, 2 small miniscus tears and some bone was missing from the inside of my knee (not sure I fully understand that).

Anyways, Im just curious abou tthe recovery process. Im about 7 weeks out now, and Im walking (generally without a limp) doing some lifting with the legs and the other excercises. My leg is *almost* at full extension after I work it, maybe just a little bit to go... kinda frustrating. Bending it is going pretty well, not quite as good as the flexing, but its expected to be slower.

As far as bending down and stuff though, I obviously still have a hard time. If I wanted to pick something up off the ground that is any bit heavy I wouldn't be able to do it (or I would have to use my back completely, which is bad for it.) Overall its going pretty good, but Im curious as to how long it was before you could do your normal everday activities outside of strenuous sports. The one thing Im concerned about is going back to work. I could probably walk around all day (not sure how well my leg would hold up to a 10 hour day, but Im sure I could manage) but I doubt I could do the bending down and lifting of things on a constant basis, so Ive chosen not to go back yet.

Besides, its my fvcking life, I'll go back when I'm good and ready. :)

So how did your recovery process go?

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
i tore my ACL about 8 or 9 years ago... it was the most painful thing i had ever experienced. was playing basketball and a guy pulled me. I collapsed - i honestly thought there was a bone sticking out of my skin because it hurt so much.

make sure you go to physical therapy and do all the exercises they tell you to do. my knee is almost 100% as it was before - as opposed to the other knee . I had simple arthroscopic surgery for cartilage tear about 15 years ago. I didn't do my therapy or exercises. Now, if i'm not careful, my tibia(or fibia, whichever) pops out of place. Very painful.

sorry, i don't remember how long it took me to get back to normal, but you'll get there - as long as you keep up your therapy and don't over-exert yourself too soon.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I had ACL surgery quite a while back. Mine never healed right and I was permanently disqualified from joining the military because of it. It doesn't really cause me any problems on than the occasional aches and pains. definetly a reason why I hope my son never wants to play football.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've been lucky and never had any serious knee injury over the last three decades of abuse. My wife on the other hand had blown out both knees from playing high-level soccer for too long. She has had extensive operations and subsequent revisions.

If I have a daughter she will never play soccer.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Originally posted by: RKS
I've been lucky and never had any serious knee injury over the last three decades of abuse. My wife on the other hand had blown out both knees from playing high-level soccer for too long. She has had extensive operations and subsequent revisions.

Ive played soccer all my life :(

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
Originally posted by: RKS

Ive played soccer all my life :(

I played for 30 years most of it very competitive but I've never had any issues.
The problem is that female physiology puts a lot of stress on the knees and helping hasten knee issue

Recovery sucks and PT is painful but you should be fine. Today's scoping techniques are amazing. My wife just had bad luck in that her 'reconstructions' didn't take very well. She probably would not have even opted for surgury since she decided to hang up her boots but when we decided to have children she didn't want to have her knees buckle while carrying the baby.

bigdog1218

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
After I tore my ACL, MCL, meniscus I say it took about 12 months before I was 100% fit for soccer. I think I was playing after about 8-9 months, but using a brace and it still didn't feel right. Just keep up with physical therapy and work hard, but don't over due it. The most important time for ACL recovery are the days right after the surgery. I was at PT 2 days after surgery and got my full extension back almost immediately.

Good luck, and hopefully you get back to 100%.