Who drives and did NOT take Driver's Ed?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tgillitzr

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
LOL, drivers ed, what a joke

When I lived in Nevada, I got my license when I turned 16. Didn't have to take drivers ed or any of that crap. So, then when I was 17, we moved to Illinois. So I had been driving for 1 year on a license and for 1 year with a permit, 2 years total driving.

The awesome state of Illinios requires anyone under the age of 18 to take drivers ed. So, after having my license for a year, I have to take Drivers Ed as a high school course with a bunch of freshmen(was a Junior).

So, get this. I Drive myself to school in the morning, go to drivers ed, to be taught how to drive.
Then, on weekends, I drive myself to school, so I can drive with the teacher for the required 6 hours of Supervised driving. It was SOO stupid.

As you can tell, I HATE the state of Illinois.
;)

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< ...it's more reflective of your attitude and your wits than anything.... >>

That's CRAP! I must depend on the other driver to KNOW the law and try to abide by it...So my 80,000 lb semi doesn't turn you into hamburger!

You scare the crap out of me!

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Ummmm... Tominator...

You learn the LAW by that driving and written test. It's not that hard to read a SPEED LIMIT sign. Now, whether or not you CHOOSE to obey those laws depends on what kind of attitude and intelligence you have.

EVERYONE knows they shouldn't drive 90 miles an hour. Yet some people still do it. Do you honestly think going to Driver's Ed would change these people?

NO. They obviously have disrespect for their safety and the safety of others. They don't need to be TOLD it's wrong, because they friggin know it.

And I scare the crap out you? Overreact much? I am the ONLY person in my former high school class who did not take Driver's Ed, and I am ALSO the ONLY one who has not yet gotten a speeding ticket and/or had a wreck.

Relax, Chief, you don't need to worry about MY driving because I know the law, and I CHOOSE to drive safely.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I took one day of drivers ed and never went back. :)

Fingers

Platinum Member
Sep 4, 2000
it's the law in virginia. i don't think it does much good unless you just really suck at driving, but i wouldn't want to get caught.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
In addition, I think it only fair to mention that one of your fellow truck drivers almost did turn me into hamburger. He decided he wanted to ignore the Yield sign and just let me live (or die) with the consequences. I avoided getting in a wreck, but don't think for a second that his experience and training kept him from almost killing me.

I also love it when two of them pull on the interstate and instead of just staying in the inside lane they decide they want to move over into the left lane going 45 miles per hour.

I have nothing against truck drivers, I have a serious problem with idiot drivers, however. And I have witnessed PLENTY of stupidity from truck drivers just like from many other drivers, regardless of their additional training (which according to you is such a great help).

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
Did take it.
Didn't do me much.
I already knew how to drive, plus I didn't even drive around like a &quot;typical&quot; driving school student, I drove like a regular person and my instructor was happy.
Plus it knocked off a big chunk of insurance cost becase I'm already a 3 star rated driver at 17 years old :D