who do I conact to tile my bathroom?

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
So I want to replace the carpet in my bathroom with tile.

who would I contact for this? I dont know category to look under in the phonebook.

"contractors???"

this is in Oklahoma.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
General contractor, tile contractor, Home Depot, Lowes, No idea what you have for options there, so start with "tile" in the phonebook.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
In the 70's, my in-laws had their house re-carpeted...and carpeted both bathrooms AND the kitchen...WTF? But, it was their house, and what they wanted...and the M.I.L. was a meticulous housekeeper, so there was never any problems with it.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
you want a tilesetter, dont hire a GC as they will hire a tilesetter and markup the price so you pay more.

flamingelephant

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
If you weren't in Oklahoma you could contact me.... Tiling isn't too difficult for a decent DYI'er. Just don't skimp on the subfloor, unless you want to be doing it again in 2-3 years

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: moshquerade
ask co-workers, friends, parishioners for referrals. "who does your tile work?"

Ah, yes...practice a bit of whoism. :)

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD
General contractor, tile contractor, Home Depot, Lowes, No idea what you have for options there, so start with "tile" in the phonebook.

No. Just trust me on this one.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Finding a good contractor is hard. First, get at least 3 estimates. Usually 2 will be legit and 1 will not, so you ensure you don't get scammed by just calling one person.

Second, check at least 3 references. Even ask to see the work previously performed. Thirdly, check the company name at www.bbb.org just to make sure there are no filed complaints.

Worst case, go to Home Depot and hire them. They will charge a bit more, but they qualify all their contractors so you have very little worries about getting ripped off. I had Home Depot install about 1000 square feet of carpet which I purchased at their store, and they did a really great job. It was not as expensive as you would think and the peace of mind was worth it. I can do my own work, but didn't have time to do this particular job.

Good luck !

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: wyvrn
Finding a good contractor is hard. First, get at least 3 estimates. Usually 2 will be legit and 1 will not, so you ensure you don't get scammed by just calling one person.

Second, check at least 3 references. Even ask to see the work previously performed. Thirdly, check the company name at www.bbb.org just to make sure there are no filed complaints.

Worst case, go to Home Depot and hire them. They will charge a bit more, but they qualify all their contractors so you have very little worries about getting ripped off. I had Home Depot install about 1000 square feet of carpet which I purchased at their store, and they did a really great job. It was not as expensive as you would think and the peace of mind was worth it. I can do my own work, but didn't have time to do this particular job.

Good luck !

I would never, under any circumstances, have Home Depot do anything to my house.

For tile work get references from friends, if that doesn't work go to the local tile supplier and ask them for a couple names.

Nov 5, 2001
look up Dal-Tile in the phone book and see if there is one near you. Call them and ask for a list of recommended contractors.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Home Depot. If you don't want to go through the hell that are contractors, just pay more for Home Depot or a reputable store. But above all else, get shit down in writing (we didn't for some retarded reason, got effed).

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Greenman
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
look up Dal-Tile in the phone book and see if there is one near you. Call them and ask for a list of recommended contractors.

Dale doesn't give referrals.

Read here. http://consumerist.com/consume...rs-problems-320959.php

I'm pretty sure ours does. My brother in law works there, and I seem to recall him saying they had a list of contractors they provide people.

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Talk to your neighbors and family members to get personal referrals.
Don't just finger someone in the phonebook.