White House rolling back energy efficient light bulb mandate

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Odd you mention that....my small town (pop. ~4500) just spent the last few months replacing every street light with LED's. City council says cost/benefit analysis showed they'd pay for themselves within a couple of years compared to the old vapor lamps. The town's certainly not awash in money so it had to provide a decent return on investment to spend our limited capital.

If your town was running mercury vapor lamps (bluish) rather than HPS (orangey) the larger savings make the investment up front more attractive. HPS starts out a lot more efficient, as does MH.

The City & County of Denver is going all in on LED street lights. Then they can lay off employees like they did with the conversion to LED traffic lights. Job loss is the hidden cost of technological progress.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Cities are already doing this because they can finance it on the utility savings.

I live in a larger city and we move over about five years ago. I have to imagine the maintenance and power savings must add up quickly.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005