White House Moves G8 Summit From Chicago To Camp David

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Millions of dollars was spent in preparation for this summit.

Speculation is that we will be at war in the middle east bu May 19 so they could not hold it Chicago.

3-5-2012

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/03/05/g8-summit-moved-to-camp-david/

White House Moves G8 Summit From Chicago To Camp David

G-8 and NATO summits had both originally been planned to be held at McCormick Place over the weekend of May 19-21, with the G-8 summit running from May 18-19, followed by the NATO summit on May 20-21. But Monday afternoon, the White House announced the G-8 summit would be held at Camp David instead.

The decision came as a surprise to Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who was praising city’s plans to host the G-8 summit as recently as Monday morning, when asked about downtown businesses preparing for the possibility of having to board up windows if expected G-8 protests were to turn violent.

“I think this is a unique opportunity for Chicago to showcase itself to the world, and the world to see the city of Chicago. I think our Police Department is highly trained, very professional, with the right leadership,” he said.

The mayor also praised the city’s handling of multiple protests by “Occupy Chicago” activists last year, noting Chicago did not see violent clashes with police that happened in other protests by the Occupy movement.

Protest organizer Joe Iosbaker said the decision to move the G-8 summit to Camp David would not stop protesters from demonstrating in Chicago during the NATO summit to voice their opposition to the war in Afghanistan and other conflicts around the world.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Where do you come up with the war by mid May scenario.

I suspect that the amount of protesters would be the concern and did not trust how Chicago would respond.

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Of course it has nothing to do with security or protests according to a White House spokesman, it's only for a more intimate setting.

White House national security spokesman Tommy Vietor simply said that Camp David, the rustic retreat in the mountains of Maryland, was a setting that would allow for more intimate discussions among the G-8 leaders. He said security and the possibility of protests were not factors in the decision, noting that Obama would still host the NATO summit in his hometown of Chicago from May 20-21.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...o-camp-david/2012/03/05/gIQAsm9CtR_story.html

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
I'm sure the protesters will find another suitable venue that needs their attention.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I wonder why they don't just do this for all of the summits. At this point the resulting riots are pretty much a foregone conclusion.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
hahahahahah

lots of protesters just let out a "Son of a bitch!!! now what am i going to do with my stockpile of urine bombs."

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
LMAO!!!! Obama neuters OWS.

o_O

What does this have to do with OWS? I was unaware that they were based in Chicago...

On a more serious note, my emotional response to this is "meh." Protests generally accompany G8 meetings, so honestly I'm surprised they even hold them in major cities these days. G8 meetings are more symbolic anyway. They don't seem to accomplish much but give the news media yet another protest and/or photo op of world leaders to cover.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
What a clever way to deal with protesters. Middle East take notes!

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
I hope they move the NATO summit too. G8 moving is great, less chance of stupidity at work. Move the NATO summit to their HQ and be done with it. Chicago, despite what they say, is NOT prepared for protests. No city can be without calling in the national guard.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
It would be ironic if the protesters still caused major havoc in Chicago even after moving the event to Camp David. Watching the leftist anarchists ripping up a progressive-run city is a hoot, maybe the Seattle WTO rioters can join them for the fun.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
It would be ironic if the protesters still caused major havoc in Chicago even after moving the event to Camp David. Watching the leftist anarchists ripping up a progressive-run city is a hoot, maybe the Seattle WTO rioters can join them for the fun.

I wouldn't necessarily consider anarchists to be left or right. It is too big of a label. What they are is just that - trouble.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
o_O

What does this have to do with OWS? I was unaware that they were based in Chicago...

On a more serious note, my emotional response to this is "meh." Protests generally accompany G8 meetings, so honestly I'm surprised they even hold them in major cities these days. G8 meetings are more symbolic anyway. They don't seem to accomplish much but give the news media yet another protest and/or photo op of world leaders to cover.

If you'd checked the links I'd posted you'd see one was a call for OWS protests. Another was for the anarchists you mention in a future post and one was from a coalition of causes including labor.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
If you'd checked the links I'd posted you'd see one was a call for OWS protests. Another was for the anarchists you mention in a future post and one was from a coalition of causes including labor.

Fair enough, but lets not confuse the OWS crowd or organized labor with the anarchists. They have different goals, different grievances, different tactics, etc.

Also, did I timewarp or something? Or can you see into the future? :confused:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Fair enough, but lets not confuse the OWS crowd or organized labor with the anarchists. They have different goals, different grievances, different tactics, etc.

Also, did I timewarp or something? Or can you see into the future? :confused:

Good point about the violent and vicious anarchists. They are orders of magnitude worse then the other protesters, OWS and labor protesters are usually peaceful, but still disruptive.

You had 2 posts, i answered the first, but referenced the 2nd.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
OWS is usually peaceful? I suppose when you compare them to anarchists they are...

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net

Maybe the OWS movement has been infiltrated by anarchists as they've used some of the same tactics during the protests (ie destruction of public and private property).

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
They should learn from the G8 / G20 summit in Canada last year.

The G8 was held out in the middle of nowhere at a resort type town. It was (relatively) cheap, and there were only a handful of relatively peaceful protesters.

They had the G20 right after in downtown Toronto because the resort wasn't big enough to host the G20. It cost $1billion in security costs, there were protests, and fires, and destroyed cop cars, and army snipers and all sorts of crazy stuff.

Moral of the story: host the G<whatever> in some resort town far away from major cities.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
I bet Chicago gets reimbursed.

I am sure things like contracts were signed with some kind of insurance or guarantee for services and cancellation.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
o_O

They don't want a repeat of the riots that occurred during the WTO meetings in Seattle. These global meetings bring the anarchists out of the woodwork.

Last edited: