Whitaker says he won’t testify unless Democrats drop their subpoena threat

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
So the dude is testifying and just told the Dem chair his 5 minutes was up. I don't even know this guy but that's the kind of moxie that all witnesses should show to Congress critters. "I'm here you answer your questions so stop grandstanding for the cameras and respect my time." Trump is an idiot and his admin is a dumpster fire but the idea that Congress critters should be kowtowed to like they're members of nobility needs to go. Hopefully he calls out some GOP Congressmen the exact same way.

https://thehill.com/policy/national...s-judiciary-chair-his-five-minutes-is-up-amid

You do understand the concept of checks and balances right? Let me ask you if they aren't answering questions Congress asks them, whose questions are they answering? I hate the grandstanding but I understand that Congress has a job to do and they have to get better at doing it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So the dude is testifying and just told the Dem chair his 5 minutes was up. I don't even know this guy but that's the kind of moxie that all witnesses should show to Congress critters. "I'm here you answer your questions so stop grandstanding for the cameras and respect my time." Trump is an idiot and his admin is a dumpster fire but the idea that Congress critters should be kowtowed to like they're members of nobility needs to go. Hopefully he calls out some GOP Congressmen the exact same way.

https://thehill.com/policy/national...s-judiciary-chair-his-five-minutes-is-up-amid

He has brass balls, no doubt. OTOH, he said he wouldn't appear under threat of subpoena, yet he is...

Your reference about wasting Whitaker's time is so precious given past performance by the GOP. Remember that Benghazi thing?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
He has brass balls, no doubt. OTOH, he said he wouldn't appear under threat of subpoena, yet he is...

Your reference about wasting Whitaker's time is so precious given past performance by the GOP. Remember that Benghazi thing?

My post specifically said all witnesses should do the same to all hearings when anyone of any party starts ignoring the consensual rules of the hearing. If everyone agreed to 5 minutes then everyone should be held to 5 minutes, this isn't a partisan thing ("yeah put that hack from the X party in his place!") it's a respecting others thing.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
My post specifically said all witnesses should do the same to all hearings when anyone of any party starts ignoring the consensual rules of the hearing. If everyone agreed to 5 minutes then everyone should be held to 5 minutes, this isn't a partisan thing ("yeah put that hack from the X party in his place!") it's a respecting others thing.
Maybe the next time I get pulled over by a cop, I will show him the same respect that Whitaker showed Nadler and see how that works out.

Reactions: UberNeuman

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Sounds like contempt of Congress to me.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

The chairman is not subject to those rules and everyone participating in the hearing with half a brain knows that. He controls the meeting and if he wants to question him for five hours instead of five minutes he can do that.

Imagine if you were in a work meeting with the CEO and you told him to stop talking because his time was up, you would get laughed at just like Whitaker did here.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
The chairman is not subject to those rules and everyone participating in the hearing with half a brain knows that. He controls the meeting and if he wants to question him for five hours instead of five minutes he can do that.

Imagine if you were in a work meeting with the CEO and you told him to stop talking because his time was up, you would get laughed at just like Whitaker did here.

Whitaker (and most other witnesses) don't have the committee chairman as their boss and the Chairman can't "fire" a witness. The chairman can attempt to monologue for five hours and the witness can also choose to walk out if they care to.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Whitaker (and most other witnesses) don't have the committee chairman as their boss and the Chairman can't "fire" a witness. The chairman can attempt to monologue for five hours and the witness can also choose to walk out if they care to.

You're right, the chairman actually has more power than a boss does over you. Your boss can only fire you if you disobey them while the chairman can have you imprisoned.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
You're right, the chairman actually has more power than a boss does over you. Your boss can only fire you if you disobey them while the chairman can have you imprisoned.

LOL you go ahead and urge the chairman to jail people for contempt of Congress when s/he doesn't even follow their own hearing rules and is called out for it, let's see how the optics of that turn out on CNN.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
LOL you go ahead and urge the chairman to jail people for contempt of Congress when s/he doesn't even follow their own hearing rules and is called out for it, let's see how the optics of that turn out on CNN.

Meh. Congressmen of both parties routinely exceed their time limits and frankly it's none of Whitaker's business because it's not his hearing. Furthermore, the chairman is not subject to time limits.

Regardless, I didn't say monologue for five hours, I said question for five hours. The chairman has the ability to compel witnesses to testify and answer questions for basically as long as the chairman sees fit. If they refuse to do so they can be imprisoned for it until they decide to be more cooperative. In the end Whitaker has no choice. He can try and talk shit and grandstand for Trump if he wants but sooner or later he will do what he's told because that's how the Constitution works.

Reactions: Homerboy

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
You do understand the concept of checks and balances right? Let me ask you if they aren't answering questions Congress asks them, whose questions are they answering? I hate the grandstanding but I understand that Congress has a job to do and they have to get better at doing it.

How the hell are they supposed to run a conspiracy if congress keep up with this "unfair" oversight?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Gotta love the way Glenn gets all sanctimonious over Whitaker getting feisty with the Chairman then goes for the hypothetical scenario of Whitaker walking out.

He came across as a man who was there to waste the committee's time more than his own.

Reactions: esquared