While some SETI@home-users is probably waiting on Cogent, more "Ducks in a row".

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
All "ducks" is hidden away in the SETI@home/BOINC-forums, and is posts by Matt Lebofsky.

Just as a reminder, the 1st "duck" posted: 16 Feb 2005 16:20:40 UTC
There are several ducks we need to get in a row, but basically any day now we'll embark on the first step, which is to tell all new users to sign up for BOINC instead of the classic SETI@home.

Some of the aforementioned ducks include another database server transfer, a whole server closet reorganization, some web site updating, last minute bug fixing (and an ensuing new client release), a mass e-mail to all the old SETI@home users, etc.
This can (and is) actually all happening in parallel.

The main objective (a new database server) has already been completed and it is handling 25% of the expected full load without breaking a sweat.

- Matt

Posted: 6 May 2005 22:15:09 UTC
There aren't any update signal candidate lists mostly because all hands are on deck working on getting SETI@home/BOINC out the door and ramping down SETI classic. We're currently in the process of scooping all the data out of the old SETI classic master database and putting it in a larger database. This is an ongoing process which will take about 3-4 weeks to complete. This process will enable us to "merge" the data between BOINC and classic, and soon after that only BOINC will be inserting data into this new master database.

Meanwhile, we are talking about turning the very slow, large crank on the whole project to churn out another set of candidates to reobserve. But even better is that we are also considering ways to make candidate hunting a continual process that happens in real time, as opposed to turning the aforementioned crank every few years. This will require significant increasing in manpower and server power, hopefully both of which we'll gain somewhat when SETI classic is finally over.

Not sure what the time frames are on any of this stuff - our main focus now is getting BOINC working and slowly fazing out classic.

- Matt
Posted: 7 May 2005 0:27:04 UTC
I should clarify: We do hold science meetings every week and discuss a non-zero amount of progress. It's just slow going as were busy with other things now. Don't want to make it seem like nothing is going on here but damage control.

And no.. the multi-beam data recorder is not in use yet. That is still being developed (just upgraded it to a better machine this week, in fact) before we take any data.

- Matt
Posted, 7 May 2005 19:14:50 UTC
Ducks in a row:

Migration of master database to new master database server
Convert old master database server to new BOINC data server
Hopefully obtain/install better BOINC replica database server (optional)
Hopefully install new BOINC web servers (optional)
Then turn off new participant signups on SETI classic

Why? Because we are enjoying the rather slow "ramp up" right now, as our current server hardware can barely handle the BOINC load. If we were to shut off new classic user signups, that may cause the dam to break, so to speak, and clobber BOINC.

- Matt

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I kinda thought I'd make 6 years and 40K - now it's a certainty ;)

BobTheWizard

Oct 7, 2002
Well.. I'll make it to 6 years... but I won't make my goal of 5K of WU's. Almost all the WU's have been done on only one machine, that being my home PC. And, unfortunately I took a break for a short while so I missed on several months of crunching. Sure wish I could get those months back... I might have made it.

Oh well... Crunching Classic to the end, then I'll make the BOINC switcheroo....

:)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Opps ,missed this thread ,thanks RD for pointing it out to me:)

Bob
You'll definatly get there now ;):D

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
As we approach the final leg we are having our lead over BBR chopped away on a daily basis. We might as well brace ourselves for "off-team" accounts rejoining BBR in the stretch.

A request for a "front page" plug is in the works.

If we get nipped at the wire ... don't say I didn't warn you.

Smoke Out

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
I say YES for some front page SETI!!

Lets get those daily numbers over 10k a day.. at least.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
We really need an end date so that people don't think its an endless task (even though we know it isn't) ,once we get a date I think quite a lot of people will help us ,lets just hope S@H give us enough time & that our lead isn't whittled away.......

A front page plug would be good :D

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Smoke
As we approach the final leg we are having our lead over BBR chopped away on a daily basis. We might as well brace ourselves for "off-team" accounts rejoining BBR in the stretch.

A request for a "front page" plug is in the works.

If we get nipped at the wire ... don't say I didn't warn you.

Smoke Out

I agree.