Which wireless connectivity are you using

Maiyr

Sep 3, 2008
Hello all,

I will be building an HTPC soon and was hoping to use one of the Asus Mini-ITX boards with the built in wireless. Unfortunately those do not provide me with the expansion slots I need so I am now looking at the Micro-ATX boards. These do not seem to have built in wireless so I'll need to provide my own.

So for those with a wireless connected HTPC what are you successfully using?

USB wireless adapter?
Wireless card?
Wireless to Ethernet bridge?

I was thinking about one of these...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008LTPFG6/...U655EAU0&psc=1

Thanks,

Maiyr

Maiyr

Sep 3, 2008
Thanks for the reply poofyhairguy.

So if I am reading correctly. You have one of these connected to your main switch/router via ethernet and then you have another connected to your HTPC via ethernet and the two WNHDE111's communicate with each other wirelessly?

Thanks,

Maiyr

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Thanks for the reply poofyhairguy.

So if I am reading correctly. You have one of these connected to your main switch/router via ethernet and then you have another connected to your HTPC via ethernet and the two WNHDE111's communicate with each other wirelessly?

Thanks,

Maiyr

You'd only need one to receive.

A wireless bridge will pick up the wireless signal from the existing router/AP and then distributes that signal out via wired connection(s). It sounds like he just has one in each location/room and then uses it to wire in any local devices that require a network connection.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
It sounds like he just has one in each location/room and then uses it to wire in any local devices that require a network connection.

Yup. Because they are 5GHz N I can stream full Blu Ray rips without problems.

Any decent dual band router will work. I personally have a Linksys E4200 V1 running Tomato USB.

Maiyr

Sep 3, 2008
You'd only need one to receive.

A wireless bridge will pick up the wireless signal from the existing router/AP and then distributes that signal out via wired connection(s). It sounds like he just has one in each location/room and then uses it to wire in any local devices that require a network connection.

Got it! Thanks, Maiyr

creed3020

Aug 28, 2013
I use a Dlink Wireless N 300 2.4ghz (two stream) dongle on my HTPC. I'm going to upgrade that once I get a router which does AC in 5GHZ. It should help throughput greatly and free up the 2.4 for the other clients.

Sep 12, 2004
I tried a dedicated 5GHz wireless N bridge but found it lacking. Now I use MoCA adapters between the HTPC, router, and extenders. It's low latency, don't have to worry about frames being dropped, and throughput is far more than adequate.

el-Capitan

Apr 24, 2012
I tried a dedicated 5GHz wireless N bridge but found it lacking. Now I use MoCA adapters between the HTPC, router, and extenders. It's low latency, don't have to worry about frames being dropped, and throughput is far more than adequate.

Exactly the same story here. Very glad for the MoCA adapters.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I have two quasi HTPC, on both I use USB adapters. My reason is location. They tucked inside or behind places they signal loss is a problem, a 2 - 3 feet USB cable take scare of that, the adapters are a more in the open and get better signal.

One is ASUS and other Netgear, both dual band and use 5ghz channel. Router is NETGEAR N750

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Netgear WNDR4500 Dual Band Wifi Router
Netgear WNDA4100 Dual band Wifi USB Adapter

Gaming, streaming, everything has been flawless since I picked these up early last year. I live in densely populated area and this was the first combination of wireless products that I found to be truly trouble-free.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I have at&t dsl 3rd teir, connected to a wireless 802.11n/c router. Router came from AT&T Universe. My Gigabyte motherboard has a wireless centrino 802.11ac card in a Mini pcie slot and a single antenna. It is working fine for HULU Plus.

Last edited: