Which way should I go to get Tivo?

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
4,911
0
0
Just trying to decide which is considered the best option. SO vote away.

By the way, I know its pretty much considered around here that the DirectTV tivo is the best bet, awesome quality and 5 bucks a month is great, but I will be in an apartment and may not be able to do direcTV.

Please forgive me if this does not work, its my first poll.

Also I know the time warner option is the cheapest route, at least to a certain point, but is it worth it since you won't actually own the Tivo? And when does the monthly subscription start costing more then the lifetime? Around 2 years is what i figured, but I may be wrong. If we buy a newer Tivo a year down the road, do we still get to keep the lifetime subscription we paid for?
 

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
7,393
0
0
I'd go with the Time Warner cable with Tivo. Tivo is pretty sweet. If Comcast offered Tivo for an extra $5 a month, I'd jump on it. I will get DirectTV Tivo when I have a house though, as it is by far the best deal.

R
 

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
4,911
0
0
Actually after reading more closely, time warner seems to charge 2 charges. Not just one as I thought

"For Digital customers, there is a Digital Video Recorder set-top terminal charge of $5.95 and a Digital Video Recorder service fee of $6.95." So that totals out to 12.90? STill I wouldn't have to buy the equipment, but then I also can't upgrade to a bigger drive if needed.


The 40 hours Tivo claims, is for low quality video, right? How long can you record at decent quality?


 

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
4,911
0
0
ANybody else have the TW DVR? Thier cable page lists a 6.95/month charge for the DVR, but in the DVR FAQS it lists The 6.95 service fee and the 5.95 set top terminal charge? Are both those monthly? And is the 5.95 required for digital cable even without the DVR, since it sound slike they are charging you to use thier box.
 

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
78,794
266
116
I recently saw a thread similiar to this here, where all the TIVO fanatics go.

We have a Hughes DirecTivo which I paid $50 and LOVE IT.

Since it's ALL digital, the 35 hours is always on the highest quality setting and it's just amazing.
 

Snuffaluffaguss

Senior member
May 15, 2001
973
1
0
friends of mine have got the time warner thingie, but after a month they cancel it and are saving to buy a tivo like mine...
 

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
4,911
0
0
SO wait a minute, if I get digital cable from whatever company, then the tivo will store up to its maximum amount of video at digital quality?

Yeah assuming the time warner is clsoer to 13 a month, I would rather own my own Tivo. The only problem i see with it, is witht he lifetime subscription. If you use it for more then 2 years, then it is better to get it. But it is for the life o fthe unit no the owner. SO if the unit dies in 3 years then you either have to pay inasane amounts to get it fixed or pay for a new subscription, correct? Same goes if you just decide to upgrade to say an HDTV Tivo when they come out.
 

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
16,018
5
0
Originally posted by: coolred
SO wait a minute, if I get digital cable from whatever company, then the tivo will store up to its maximum amount of video at digital quality?

Yeah assuming the time warner is clsoer to 13 a month, I would rather own my own Tivo. The only problem i see with it, is witht he lifetime subscription. If you use it for more then 2 years, then it is better to get it. But it is for the life o fthe unit no the owner. SO if the unit dies in 3 years then you either have to pay inasane amounts to get it fixed or pay for a new subscription, correct? Same goes if you just decide to upgrade to say an HDTV Tivo when they come out.
Get a service plan for your tivo when you buy it. If it dies the burden of repair and subscription issues fall to the service plan.

 

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
16,018
5
0
Originally posted by: RossMAN
I recently saw a thread similiar to this here, where all the TIVO fanatics go.

We have a Hughes DirecTivo which I paid $50 and LOVE IT.

Since it's ALL digital, the 35 hours is always on the highest quality setting and it's just amazing.
Directivo has multiple advantages over other configurations, and shouldn't be overlooked. Dual tuners mean you can record two programs at once and watch another program that's already been recorded. Because the tuner is built in there's no messing with the infared cable box hookup, which ultimately will fail to record some programs.

Anyhoo just concuring with Rossman. I'm a TiVo expert, I have TiVos laying around my house in various pieces. I have one of the first 10 tivos ever made, my buddy was with them when TiVo was just a startup. If you have any questions just let me know. :D

 

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
28,651
100
91
(discreet OT Tivo question...)

is it possible to copy tivo digital files from the unit to the computer?
 

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
16,018
5
0
Originally posted by: jjsole
(discreet OT Tivo question...)

is it possible to copy tivo digital files from the unit to the computer?
It's not as easy as replay but yes. Visit here for the skinny.
 

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
4,911
0
0
Are the direct TV tivos the only ones with dual tuners? That is a nice option that I would love to have, but again I will be living in an apartment and have no idea if they allow a satellite dish to be mounted on thier building.
 

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
12,232
29
101
Originally posted by: coolred
Are the direct TV tivos the only ones with dual tuners? That is a nice option that I would love to have, but again I will be living in an apartment and have no idea if they allow a satellite dish to be mounted on thier building.

I'm pretty sure that the DirecTiVos are the only one with dual tuners. If you are gonna be able to get DirecTV in your apartment I'd go with that option. I miss my DirecTiVo and I'd still have it if my apartment didn't face the wrong way. :(
 

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
9,949
569
136
Replay (Replay owns TiVO IMO) or DirecTV tivo are the only 2 ways to go IMO.
 

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
78,794
266
116
Originally posted by: Dulanic
Replay (Replay owns TiVO IMO) or DirecTV tivo are the only 2 ways to go IMO.

I used to be a ReplayTV fanboi (and I still am at heart) but the DirecTIVO is super sweet.