Which to buy? 6600, 6800, 7800?

overclockers51

Mar 26, 2006
I am a long time member coming back, been out of the game for a while. Building a cheap system with a sempron 3100. For games like Q4, WOW, what kind of performance difference is it between these 3 cards, just trying to see if spending a extra $100 on the 7600 would be a good choice.

professor1942

Dec 22, 2005
Are you talking PCI-E here?

For a midrange system I'd go for the 7600GT. For better performance go for a 7900GT (7800 isn't worth it unless you get a really great deal on it).

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: overclockers51
The mobo that comes with the 3100 is a AGP, should I go AGP or is PCI-E much faster?
well if you use that motherboard then you will have to use agp.

overclockers51

Mar 26, 2006
True, what I mean, should I opt and get a PCI-E mobo or just stick AGP, I am talking about the Fry's deal 3100+ECS Nforce 3 for $79.99. Also I don't see a 7600 in AGP form.

LW07

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2006
You definitely should go for a PCI Express motherboard, and don't get an ECS motherboard as I've heard that ECS is poor quality.

fibes

Jul 19, 2003
Originally posted by: LW07
You definitely should go for a PCI Express motherboard, and don't get an ECS motherboard as I've heard that ECS is poor quality.

I've also heard of some bad reviews about ECS,but they were all reviews from individuals from forums.(You can't always rely on reviews from peoples personal experiences.)

However, I have had a good experience with this Fry's CPU/MObo deal. I built a system with my brother-in-law about a week ago and it went together like a charm. We put it together in about 45 minutes.

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Get a PCIe mobo, and get a 7600GT if you are on a budget or a 7900GT if you have the money.

If you are on a budget and want lots of OCing headroom (stock 7800 speeds), don't mind some noise, then I say to you what I have said many times before: ATI X850XT for $150 at Newegg.

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: fibes
Originally posted by: LW07

I've also heard of some bad reviews about ECS,but they were all reviews from individuals from forums.(You can't always rely on reviews from peoples personal experiences.)

However, I have had a good experience with this Fry's CPU/MObo deal. I built a system with my brother-in-law about a week ago and it went together like a charm. We put it together in about 45 minutes.

I have sold ECS products...and I can say that the rumors and bad reviews just don't do the ECS any justice.....they are much much worse than what is usually stated about their poor quality.

some of their "enthusist" boards are "OK" but the cheap budget board often have a failure rate as high as 70%.

I often steer my customers towards similar (abiet higher priced) gigabyte or asus boards not because I want to make a larger sale..but so i don't have to do warranty with in weeks of the purchase...most GA and asus boards will usually last much longer than their 1year (some high spec boards have 3 years) warranties.

If possible try to get a Gigabyte or Asus board that is similar to what the ECS baord is offering...sure it will cost you maybe $20-30 more but trust me it's worth it.

mind you, if you can find Epox or abit boards as well you won't be making a bad buy with those either...just don't get the ECS for the love of GOD!!!!

overclockers51

Mar 26, 2006
Thanks for the input guys, I heard good things about ECS, this is the first bad though. I know this is the video thread, I will head to the motherboard forum.

RealTime

Dec 25, 2005
Well I will tell you this...I bought and built 3 systems on the ECS L7S7A2 board and they all work great two this day. They one of the "enthusiast" boards. I haven't really heard too many bad comments about ECS. They aren't the greatest for Ocing but they are decent. Though I am looking on building a new system and I am looking into a ASUS board.

EDIT: Almost forgot...If you are playing WOW then I think you would be better off going with the 7800 GS AGP. You have two types of folks some that scream PCI-E How much greater it is. To tell you the truth right now there isn't a whole lot difference in performance yet. PCI-E is the next gen in video card performance. Just like the 64 bit is the next gen with CPUs. You will be alright with a AGP card. If you really want to look to the future then I would say PCI-E but if you do that then you might as well jump right into the deep end and pick up a 64 bit CPU as well and stop wading around in the shallow end.

D-Man

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 1999
I have had the completely different results with ECS boards. I have sold at least 80 over the last 2 years and 1 went out. I had 2 Asus and 1 Gigabyte boards bite the dust each was under a year old. When you get these boards in a Frys deal you really get the board free so if it works you win. The nForce3-A you got with this combo is really an impressive board for an ECS. I have to admit I would rather sell an ASUS board and the RMA is fast and easy on most quality boards if I lost an ECS I would not RMA it as for me it would not be worth the time and shipping.

Look in the forums for a used 6600gt or better AGP if you want to hold the costs down.
I sold a 2800 Combo with the NF3 Board and a 9800 Pro VDO and I was impressed.

I have the 3100 combo right next to me with a 6600 256mb MSI VDO AGP the FSB is clocked at 234
3D Mark 2001 About 14,000 and 3D Mark 2005 at believe 2700

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
since hes on sock 754 i say dont bother upgrading to pci e

6600GT will get you very good performance for quake 4, not sure what it gets in WoW

highwire

Nov 5, 2000

...and don't get an ECS motherboard as I've heard that ECS is poor quality.

Yeh, this is practically an urban legend.

The fact is that they are one of the largest board makers in the world. If you buy a name brand box ready-to-go, the MB could well have been made by ECS. Again, if testimony counts, I have bought several ECSs as well, and no complaints.

Regarding the main point of the thread, I have been mulling over a modest video upgrade myself and pouring over the latest ads. For an AGP solution, the 6600gt ($120 w/rebate) might be the max to be considered now for an AGP system. In a month or two, the 7600agp will be available for ~$200 or so, and that may just be the end of the line for AGP as a gaming platform. That level of performance, though, would suite the needs of many budget guys for quite a while.

Beyond that, I agree that a PCI-e board is justified. And that is because all the new big, bad video chips ARE PCI-e chips.

HomeyFoos

Aug 22, 2005
I purchased an EPoX 8NPA SLi s754 and I really like it. It's very inexpensive ($90) and for s754 it probably offers the best upgrade path (not that this is realistic, but that board is PERFECT for SLi'd 7600GT's). Not that s754 is going anywhere, but say you really enjoyed your gaming experience, you could almost double your performance for the cost of another video card.

For me, the price and the features were right. I paired it w/ a A64 3000+ Venice and added some g-skill pc3200 ram and it's a great secondary system. That trio ran me $280. Anyway, just a thought, but it seems like the most upwardly mobile s754 solution and it's under $100.

Clifton

Mar 27, 2006
Originally posted by: highwire

...and don't get an ECS motherboard as I've heard that ECS is poor quality.

Yeh, this is practically an urban legend.

I've had a K7S5A that I wanted to throw off a bridge, and a KVT333 that was only slightly better. They can't all be that bad, but 2 is enough for me. Not worth the risk. I had my own bad opinion of them before I found others like me.

D-Man

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 1999
I believe ECS got a bit better around the KT600. I had a few of their NF2 boards that worked clocking 2500 bartons at 3200 and they still are running.

If Budget is the question I think a 6800gt is not a bad option put PC3200 memory in lower it to 166 and raise the Voltage to the 3100 chip 1 step I believe 1.7% and raise the FSB up and see what you get. There are 3 overvolt settings for the CPU.

I would use this combo as is and upgrade further down the road. There will be people looking for AGP VDO boards in the for sale thread for some time to come.

If you do not invest to much in this machine now you can save a few dollars down the road and upgrade later.