Which "temporary" video card to get?

Nevyn522

Aug 11, 2000
Hey all -

I've been out of the rumor mill for some time, but came back expecting to have a fairly easy time choosing a graphics card. Unfortunately, I'm really not -- but, since new cards are rumored to be right around the corner, I figure I'll get myself an "okay" card for the next month or two, and upgrade then.

So I'd like to avoid spending too much money, but still want to get some power behind it.

I'm looking to spend under $150, but am having a lot of trouble narrowing down which card to get, as most recent reviews are focused on the most recent technologies -- anyone have any suggestions on what to get?

gonzo2k

Platinum Member
Jun 12, 2001
webpitstop.com
Depends on what you want. I just picked up an ATI AIW Radeon 7500 which blows me away with all its capabilities, but I'm not a "hardcore" gamer. If you want an good gamer card and are not concerned with TV capture, look for a Radeon 8500LE or spend some time researching (and deciphering) the myriad of GF3 and GF4 cards available(many around: <$100.00)- all but the high end cards are in your price range (if used/OEM is not an issue). Check "hot deals" and then look in FS/FT to see what is being offered.

GL,
Rick

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
I agree with spanky the gf4 ti4200 is the best sub 150....However I got to admit the radeon 8500le (I think it can be bought for just over 100) with newer catalsyt drivers aren't bad....I am at stock 249/249 from my le version and I get 9600 in 3dmark2k1...I haven't even began to boost it a bit...Don't think there is much room, but I bet I can crack 10000!!!

If you want functional tv-out??? Don't bother with ati...pure crap there....I like the GF4 and the Nview...