Which socket type / pin configuration do you prefer?

alyarb

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2009
there will always be the 20-50% who choose the "sabotage the poll" option, but in this case LGA is really superior in every way, particularly since the pin density has exploded since 775.

so many times has a pin bent bent accidentally due to mishandling a CPU. sure you can bend it right back in place, but with LGA its not even a possibility.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: alyarb
there will always be the 20-50% who choose the "sabotage the poll" option, but in this case LGA is really superior in every way, particularly since the pin density has exploded since 775.

so many times has a pin bent bent accidentally due to mishandling a CPU. sure you can bend it right back in place, but with LGA its not even a possibility.

Well, the pins are still there, but they're on the mobo instead of the cpu now. They can still be bent, though I've never personally had a problem. And to be honest, I'd rather bend the pins on a $100ish mobo rather than a $200+ Cpu :)

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: alyarb

bent cpu pin is 10000% easier to fix then a bent mobo pin.

Originally posted by: Arkaign
And to be honest, I'd rather bend the pins on a $100ish mobo rather than a $200+ Cpu :)

Lets think about this again..

Mechanical Pencil to fix cpu pin...

vs.

Magnifying glass + tweezers...

Sorry CPU pins seems ton easier then mobo pins.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
One of the best things I like about moving from pinned CPU's, is the fact that the pins aren't the only things holding the CPU in the socket. How many of you have lifted off a HS only to find the CPU still stuck to it looking down into and empty socket. And even worse, having a few pins broken off but still held in place by the ZIF socket? I hated that. The move to 775 with retention pressure brackets was a great move.

As far as a fixable solution, yes I believe pinned CPU's would be much easier to straighten out than a mobo pin.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Originally posted by: Keysplayr
One of the best things I like about moving from pinned CPU's, is the fact that the pins aren't the only things holding the CPU in the socket. How many of you have lifted off a HS only to find the CPU still stuck to it looking down into and empty socket. And even worse, having a few pins broken off but still held in place by the ZIF socket? I hated that. The move to 775 with retention pressure brackets was a great move.

I've had that happen on several occasions. Always with socket 478 oddly enough, never with AMD setups. Probably due to the fact that most of the older OEMs I work on (P4 Dells and what not that people still hold on to) are Northwoods, and whatever thermal paste Dell uses turns to cement.

Having the pins in the motherboard also makes things like lapping a processor infinitely easier.

Comdrpopnfresh

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2006
Pin-wise, LGA. You don't have to worry about placing the chip on a hard surface, and when cleaning it, any TIM that gets on the bottom is easily wiped, rather than combed. That being said, I think retention mechanisms should be brought into the ring. I vote for the s939 configuration- fits like a glove unless ur absentminded enough to not line up 2 arrows/triangles

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
I like the CPU with the pins because when you drop the CPU into the slot, you know if the CPU is mounted 100% correctly. Don't get me wrong, LGA is pretty easy, but you don't get the same ease of installation IMHO.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Where's the option for "I don't care, just buy whatever offers the most bang for my buck?"

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
LGA solves the biggest problem - "OMG I dropped the CPU and the #$@#$ thing's pins are all bent now!!"

Yes, I usually do all my computer repairs drunk and this happens...

ComputerWizKid

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2004
I voted for the PII/PIII/AMD Slot A I used to love being able to install the HSF And then slide the CPU into a slot no need to remove the MB for the case (Unless it was an OEM build that used clamps/Screws to prevent the CPU from coming loose during shipping)

Arcanedeath

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2000
I also voted for the Slot, it was a hell of alot safer and more ruggad than modern chips with pins or an LGA type system, sadly not pratical anymore.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
yes the LGA is great, no more breaking pins etc. I remember in celeron days, I accidentally bent a pin, but luckily it still worked. LGA completely solved that problem.

Jedi2155

Sep 16, 2003
I liked slot for its simple installation but installing an aftermarket heat sink is not fun sideways! So I'd have to go with PGA as the thought of trying to fix bent pins on a motherboard is total nightmare.