Which smooth mouse pad? For Logitech G700

T0bias

May 18, 2008
Hi,
I got a Logitech G700 some time ago and it is somewhat heavier than my older Razer Deathadder (which broke). I got a Razer Destructor mouse pad but it feels like the friction is too high on this mat - probably because the mouse is a bit heavier than my old mouse? It was fine for the Deathadder, but with the G700 I find myself using my desk without any mouse pad atm because it is smoother - but I don't think it's optimal. However, when I game I prefer the Destructor because it gives me more tactile feedback due to the grainy surface - but I still don't like the high friction of it when gaming.

So in short I am looking for a mousepad that is smoother than the Destructor so that my new mouse glides a little more easy and effortless - but I'd still like some kind of tactile feedback when mousing - if that is possible :)

Any suggestions? Been looking a little at some other Razer and Roccat mouse pads, but it's not so easy to figure out what would suit me best.

Thanks in advance.

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
Fwiw
I just bought the G700 and I really like it. I also find imo when gaming I like using the mouse corded without the battery I like the weight balance/movement much better. The top of my desk is a black matte finish and I do not use a mouse pad and feel the mouse works really good. I use Pledge the desktop and a little on the mouse feet before I game and it works very good. I just ordered Teflon mouse tape (1’x8. 5’ $2.40) last week to protect the feet and see how it glides with the tape. The tape should be here Monday so will be interesting to see how this works. This is a very nice mouse I watch a lot of music vids I have the extra buttons setup to control volume, pause, play, and close program on my vid files which works well for me.

I tried the GX9 it was nice also but I prefer the G700 imo.

Last edited:

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I use fine mesh cloth mouse pads. The ones I really like are covered in silk fabric. It is extremely smooth. The other benefit is better tracking . Mice take pictures of a very tiny area and compare them from one frame to the next. Smooth surfaces like glass don't have a lot of differences from one spot to the next so the mouse works harder to determine the difference. That is why early optical mouse couldn't work on glass , the chips inside were too slow to do the calculations and the sensors too poor. Fabric is great for tracking though because there is always a varying pattern of lines where the fabric was woven. It also doesn't wear off mouse feet like hard surfaces. For surfaces whichever one is the hardest will be the one to last. If you put teflon feet on glass, the glass will be the hardest and will wear off the feet.

T0bias

May 18, 2008
Thanks for the replies.
fastx:
I see your point using wired without battery, but the reason I got this mouse was really the wireless feature and I really like being wireless, so I'll stick to this - would be a little too cumbersome to switch battery out and plug in cord each time I game, imo.

modelworks:
So you would say in general that cloth pads tend to be the smoothest? What about tactile feedback (if that's the correct term to use)? I wouldn't find it good if it was like mousing on supersmooth ice if you know what I mean - even though it's smooth, it would probably be quite difficult to control :)

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
So you would say in general that cloth pads tend to be the smoothest? What about tactile feedback (if that's the correct term to use)? I wouldn't find it good if it was like mousing on supersmooth ice if you know what I mean - even though it's smooth, it would probably be quite difficult to control :)

It isn't like ice because even the smoothest cloth will still have some roughness to it. I work a lot with 3d applications doing modeling and the cloth surface is about the right balance between smooth and rough. I would just pick up a cheap one and try it out. They sell for $2-3 in most stores.

T0bias

May 18, 2008
Thanks for the replies - been very busy so didn't manage to post again until now.

I don't think the Boogie bug is available where I live (Denmark), but the steelseries is available - however, isn't it a bit thick? Also I'd like some mouse pad that wouldn't occupy all my desk space :D The razer destructor is really big enough for my needs (35*28cm) - I prefer something like that in size, or perhaps smaller.

I've been looking at the Roccat Sense too, anyone got experience with that?

T0bias

May 18, 2008
Hmm, been reading a few reviews and general opinions about mouse pads and it seems like cloth is considered to have more friction than hard surface mouse pads?