Which senator is behind this project?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
I wonder if we could get Loki into this program? A paid vacation to Argentina would be sweet.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
I wouldn't blame Bush OR Obama for this type of spending.

$400,000 is a drop in the bucket compared to our $3 trillion budget. It would be like Bill Gates getting involved in how much money his company spends on staples. It is just to small of an amount for it to even reach their attention.

Most likely this project was approved by some person at the NIH and the money probably comes from some larger poll of funds to research AIDs or sexual diseases etc.

BTW next time you see some article on how our government is spending $200 million to research aids etc you know how that money is being spent.

really?...I never ever understood that type of short sighted mentality from either side....

how many "drops in the bucket" do you think combined over time to get us into this fucking hole to begin with?

Both sides are guilty of too many "drops in the bucket" and because of their inability to see that all this shit adds up over time and someday the bills will come due is why this country is so fucked.

they all suck.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Mursilis
Originally posted by: rudder
Originally posted by: dahunan
Originally posted by: smashp
"The study began in September 2008, according to an online abstract, and has already cost taxpayers $198,776, NIH documents show."

That would be a Bush administrative spending initiative then.

LMAO.. nice work.. wonder what the OPs reaction will be to that

The OP is pissed off at wasteful government spending. This spending probably found its way through congress by being tucked in a larger spending bill that no one bothered to read. That's what my reaction is. What is your reaction to my reaction?

So it goes back to my TITLE (thing at the top of the thread that is indicative of the subject matter)... which senator (or congressman to be all inclusive) is responsible for this mess? I would like to know.

:thumbsup: So many dumb partisan hacks here caught up in the blame game. "Bush did this" or "Obama did that". Whatever. It's time to move beyond all that and recognize the corruption on both sides of the aisle.
This.

GoSharks

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: rudder
So it goes back to my TITLE (thing at the top of the thread that is indicative of the subject matter)... which senator (or congressman to be all inclusive) is responsible for this mess? I would like to know.
The NIH is responsible. What makes you think that the legislative branch has a direct hand in this?

These are the aims of the study:
The specific aims of this study are to 1) describe 6 public venues in terms of their physical characteristics, alcohol availability, patron characteristics, and sexual behavior that occurs in the venue; 2) identify factors that contribute to alcohol use and high-risk sexual behavior in the venues; 3) identify HIV risk reduction possibilities in the venues and how they can be targeted by interventions; 4) assess willingness of venue owners/personnel to partner with HIV prevention organizations in reducing HIV risk in these settings and the types of prevention programs they find acceptable or unacceptable; and 5) assess ways to measure the efficacy of future interventions in these settings.
http://crisp.cit.nih.gov/crisp...keywords=argentina+HIV

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Pneumothorax
Originally posted by: alphatarget1
The last thing we want is to have politics drive research funding decisions.

But isn't that we (mostly) have?

I would say agencies like NSF, NIH, etc makes pretty rational/good decision on allocating funding for research.