Which Rollercoaster Tycoon?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
Got it working. Game is fun but the game speed is SOOO slow. Running alt tabbed in windowed mode works I guess.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Call me old-fashioned, but I like RCT 1 just fine. It has a few expansion packs which are nice. It lets you charge admission for both the park and rides themselves, whereas RCT 2 makes each scenario one or the other.

To be honest, I haven't played RCT 3 though.

Only if you weren't creative.

I used to make parks where the entrance wasn't connected to the rest of the park via road. Instead, I would build a monorail that would charge $10 or something. So my visitors would pay to ride the monorail to get to the park. Then they'd pay for each ride. When they wanted to go, I made sure the ATMs were all the way on the other side of the park, so if they didn't have the $10 to get back out, they'd have to go withdraw it.

It was awesome.

Pandora's Box

Apr 26, 2011

I used to make parks where the entrance wasn't connected to the rest of the park via road. Instead, I would build a monorail that would charge $10 or something. So my visitors would pay to ride the monorail to get to the park. Then they'd pay for each ride. When they wanted to go, I made sure the ATMs were all the way on the other side of the park, so if they didn't have the $10 to get back out, they'd have to go withdraw it.

It was awesome.

pure evil haha

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005

It was awesome.

Wow. You really are an evil bastard.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Slightly different but Zoo Tycoon 2 is better than any of the RC ones. IMO.

Can I build Rollercoasters in Zoo Tycoon? If not, then it is no way, in any shape or form, better. All I want to do is build coasters. I don't want to manage a Zoo full of stupid animals!

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Can I build Rollercoasters in Zoo Tycoon? If not, then it is no way, in any shape or form, better. All I want to do is build coasters. I don't want to manage a Zoo full of stupid animals!

Would be nice to have a Seaworld type of park where you could build a roller coaster that dumps passengers into a nice big shark tank. :awe:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

To be fair, I want ZTC2 as well. But this is about the Rollercoaster Tycoon series.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Bought RCT1 for $6 off gog.com the other day. I've confirmed I'm just as horrible at building coasters now as I was 12 years ago. I may even be worse since I apparently have less patience. :D. I do like running the parks though and just using pre-fab coasters.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Bought RCT1 for $6 off gog.com the other day. I've confirmed I'm just as horrible at building coasters now as I was 12 years ago. I may even be worse since I apparently have less patience. :D. I do like running the parks though and just using pre-fab coasters.

Yeah... this is why I always just use the pre-designed coasters. :p

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Making coasters is easy. Just control the speed and limit the number of G's in turns. Also, inversions generally are frowned upon, despite the most fun coasters have many.

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
I love all 3 of them. Best Theme Park simulators & business management games ever.

I'd say 2 is the best as it's Pretty much Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 with enhancements.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 is fun. Just not as easy and quick to build & manage a park.

The controls are also different than what you're use too. If you can get the hang of it though. It can be fun. I watched some helpful Tutorials on YouTube.

You can import track designs you make in Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 in the 3rd game which is pretty cool.

Kinda looking forward to Rollercoaster Tycoon 3DS. Only if it's not gimped at all & offers as much & more than the previous games & has good controls. Then I might get a 3DS. LOL!

Speaking of 3D wouldn't a 3D Monitor like Samsungs that convert 2D to 3D let you enjoy Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 in 3D? I know there is software to convert it to Anaglyph 3D. Don't know about polarized 3D.

Never understood why they haven't ported the games to mobile devices or web based like on Facebook and such.

The only console port of the series was the first game (released in 1999 on PC) on Xbox in 2003. When Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 came out in 2002. Very odd.

These games are popular. At least people can still get the first two at GOG.com and enjoy them. The third game is on Steam but still pricey. Course you can find these games on disc cheap too.

Yeah 2 & 3 are awesome. The 1st is good if you want to complete all the scenarios.

Where the 2nd & 3rd also offer a Sandbox mode and tons of custom items and scenarios. Lots of fan sites still out there.

Great games. Haven't found any similar game that match them. Sim Theme Park & Sim Coaster as well as the Thrillville games just don't match what all Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 & 3 offer. :)

Which there is a tweak to play the 1st game in 1280x720: http://rct.wikia.com/wiki/RollerCoaster_Tycoon#Widescreen_Resolutions and the 3rd game in 1920x1080: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1164496

Last edited:

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
RCT2 and SC4 are my 2 goto games when I'm bored of RPG's and FPS's.

They never get boring.

Last edited:

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
3 was great because you got to sit on your own creation. Mods, add-ons, and the firework mix master also add a lot of flavour.