Which Rollercoaster Tycoon?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Which one is "better"... 1, 2 or 3? I loved playing 1, but I'm wondering if either of the other two are better gameplay-wise. Comments, suggestions, flaming?

goobernoodles

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2005
Ahhh, fond memories of deleting a section to have a car fly off the tracks.
+1

I used to use the terrain tool to build the absolute max height hill, then have track go straight down, underground, come back up and begin a corkscrew before the track ends. Makes for each car flying off in a different direction. AWESOME.

midnight growler

May 8, 2005
Call me old-fashioned, but I like RCT 1 just fine. It has a few expansion packs which are nice. It lets you charge admission for both the park and rides themselves, whereas RCT 2 makes each scenario one or the other.

To be honest, I haven't played RCT 3 though.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
In my opinion 3 is the best overall for pure sandbox options and fun. There are particular features that make earlier releases better but all and all 3 (with the expansions) is a solid game.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I so loved this series. I would make coasters that were completely underground..no one liked them tho :( lol

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
While RCT 3 was a fine game, I think Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 (with expansions) is still the best. The 2D-isometric graphics are much more pleasing to my eye than the full-3D graphics used in later games, it has a nicer UI, it's still extremely feature-full, and overall it really stands the test of time.

Furthermore, GOG just released RollerCoaster Tycoon: Deluxe, with all the expansions, for only $5.99. Direct-download, no disc needed to play it, and it's guaranteed to work with Windows 7. Definitely worth the $6 if you ask me.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I think they were all great. But nothing beats sitting in your rollercoaster in first person view and flying off the tracks. You can only do that in RCT3.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
IMO each one pretty much improved what it needed to without messing with the good parts too much... so each one was better than the last. All were good though.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
While RCT 3 was a fine game, I think Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 (with expansions) is still the best. The 2D-isometric graphics are much more pleasing to my eye than the full-3D graphics used in later games, it has a nicer UI, it's still extremely feature-full, and overall it really stands the test of time.

Furthermore, GOG just released RollerCoaster Tycoon: Deluxe, with all the expansions, for only $5.99. Direct-download, no disc needed to play it, and it's guaranteed to work with Windows 7. Definitely worth the $6 if you ask me.

:thumbsup: ty for the link. I had rct1 and love it, but I lost the disc.

Lightflash

Oct 12, 2010
I would love to see a new RCT.

Going to have to get that deluxe edition as it is so cheap and I cannot find any of the discs from 1 or 2.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Did the version of GoG get an extended resolution support patch? I have the disc and both expansions still, I just dislike the max resolution taking up like 1/3rd of my screen. =(

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I have 3 with the expansions, I made an animal park and a tiger got out and people were running around in fear while it chased them. But for some reason the worker who was suppose to take care of it was on a lunch break sitting eating his food and didn't even get up to do anything about it. Watching him chomp down on a sandwich why a mad tiger ran around trying to eat people was fun. The inadvertent chaos due to the randomness of the AI made that game extra cool imho. I would love a 4th one. I also like loading my food with salt and putting a ton of ice in the drinks. People would complain but they'd keep buying more drinks because of the salty food lol.

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
I just tried to get RC1 running today, but it wouldn't work. Anyone got any tips for getting it working on Win 7 64?

bbs lm-r

Jan 25, 2011
^ Try running it in compatibility mode maybe.

I have RC1 installed (on Win 7 x64) too, never had to change any settings or anything to get it to run.

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
Thanks. Anyone know if there's a way to get it running windowed mode? Google hasn't turned anything up for me.

bbs lm-r

Jan 25, 2011
IIRC, just start playing in any scenario and go the options button all the way on the left I think. Pretty sure there's a check box option there for windowed mode.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
Are there any newer PC games like RCT, or anything else like it? Never got into Sim City.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
IIRC, just start playing in any scenario and go the options button all the way on the left I think. Pretty sure there's a check box option there for windowed mode.

yup, the same menu where you save the game, there is an options button. It also has options to run up to 1024x768 full screen mode, but windowed looks fine if you maximize it IMO. In order to switch back to windows (7, 64bit) I have to right click somewhere on the task bar first, before any of my other programs respond.

I couldn't get the gog launcher to work right, I had to run the rct.exe in windows xp sp 3 compatibility mode, win98/me mode wouldn't let me save my games.