Which "real conservative" would have defeated Obama

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which "real conservative" would have defeated Obama

• Ron Paul

• Herman Cain

• Michelle Bachmann

• Rick Perry

• Newt Gingrich

• Rick Santorum

• Conservatives didn't have a chance

Results are only viewable after voting.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This. Ron Paul would have absolutely destroyed obama or anyone else in the debates and show America he is the one

Too many idiots in this country some people shouldn't be allowed to vote

I guess all the idiots voted in the GOP primary

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
Mitch Daniels probably could've defeated Obama, but the far-right extremists don't consider him conservative enough.

The problem with Mitch is that whenever I see him on TV, he seems to suck all the energy out of the room. That has nothing to do with his ability to govern, but it would hurt him as a candidate.

I think Huntsman could have won, though he has a bit of that same problem.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
The problem republicans have is that during their primary all the nutbags outnumber the more moderate voters, so their candidate ends up being some right wing loon who gets his ass kicked in a real election.

The only chance they are going to have in the future is to put a more socially moderate candidate up.

Once the republicans lose texas they are fucked for good. It's only a matter of time before it happens too with immigration, more urbanization, and more highly educated people moving there for jobs.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
The problem republicans have is that during their primary all the nutbags outnumber the more moderate voters, so their candidate ends up being some right wing loon who gets his ass kicked in a real election.

The only chance they are going to have in the future is to put a more socially moderate candidate up.

Once the republicans lose texas they are fucked for good. It's only a matter of time before it happens too with immigration, more urbanization, and more highly educated people moving there for jobs.

Romney only got 57% in Texas. That loss isn't too far off.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Oh come on now guys.

You need to shut the fuck up w\ this ' real conservative business' . If the popular vote didn't tally out in obama's favor would we be hearing this instead of crying about how you guys don't like the electoral college when it doesn't go your way but love it when it does?

flip flops... take them shits off and lurk more.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
Romney would have had a much better chance of winning if he had run as the guy who was the Mass. Governor., instead of flopping around to pander to the ultra conservatives. Of course, he wouldn't have been able to win the lockstep loonies in the primary races, and wouldn't have gotten the nomination.

Gingrich is the only one mentioned there with any sense at all, but he's just too toxic.

As long as these candidates have to bring in the extremist vote to get past the primaries, they'll never stop providing ammunition for their opponents to lob at them.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

The Massachusetts governor, CREATOR of Obamacare is some 'right wing loon'?

Got anymore lies? Next election cycle you'll place Obama in this category.

Aug 14, 2001
None of those people had a chance, but Ron Paul probably had the worst chance. He would have done even worse than Michelle Bachmann or Herman Cain.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
None of those people had a chance, but Ron Paul probably had the worst chance. He would have done even worse than Michelle Bachmann or Herman Cain.

If a liberal says Paul wouldnt have had a chance it's wasted air, but had he gotten the nomination (work with me here) the GOP base would have voted for him regardless.

He had the ABO vote already, hell to some who would laughably believe it he would have had the racist vote too!

But in hindsight, Romney had zero grassroots initiatives, he did not have the youth vote, he flip flopped on everything and agreed with everything the President said on foriegn affairs.

Paul got crushed in the Primaries really only because of his foriegn policy stance. Hannity, Fox and Friends, and even Levin has stated as such. Not many people give a damn about the gold standard or Austrian economics because it is really irrelevant with the job. He could not do any of those even if he wanted too. The Fed most certainly would not have been abolished, Congress is the counter balance.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Not sure how people that got crushed in the primaries would have been such a better national candidate.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
The problem with Mitch is that whenever I see him on TV, he seems to suck all the energy out of the room. That has nothing to do with his ability to govern, but it would hurt him as a candidate.

I think Huntsman could have won, though he has a bit of that same problem.

Mitch is also very tiny and historically, that doesn't play well either. He has a favorite restaurant in Indianapolis and I've run into him a few times there (including once in the bathroom!) and I was much taller than him and I'm only 5'9".

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
The Massachusetts governor, CREATOR of Obamacare is some 'right wing loon'?

Got anymore lies? Next election cycle you'll place Obama in this category.

Romney came out of the primary a right wing loon who was running against Obamacare (the daughter of his health care Mandate in MA), and hardly mentioned he was the Governor of MA.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
You would need to clone Ronald Reagan in order to win with a conservative candidate in 2016.

I'm liking Chris Christie's chances next time.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
You really think Paul would have beaten Obama? Really?

It's not that I think he would have won Charles.

If you just look at the statistics here in PN you'll see half of the conservative base didn't vote for Romney. His youth vote was very low, he didn't have any grassroots initiatives and even looking at this threads results look at the numbers.

Romney only had the ABO vote, Paul would have already had that.

Obama had a coalition of minorities, he didn't they were horribly low. Paul had a huge mix of minorities, and he had the youth vote.

Romney had no energy, no momentum had the Republicans went away from their insane foreign policy he had a chance.

Would he have won? Who knows but he would have been a real conservative with stark contrast to Obama.