Which projects to vote for in the Pentathlon Race?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which project shall the TeAm vote for?

• Amicable Numbers

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Asteroids@home

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • NFS@Home

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • NumberFields@home

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ODLK

• PrimeGrid

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • RakeSearch

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • SETI@home

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • SRBase

• YAFU

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Isn't the VGTU competition over ? If so I am switching to Rosetta now. Let me know if I should bunker, and if so, that start and end time.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
So far I see no opposition to Rosetta, I'd like to think that makes it a definite choice. So now we only need to figure out the remaining projects.

Regarding Rosetta: By default the tasks are set to run for approximately 8 hours. You can change this in your settings on the web page for your account. The way it works is, the task you are processing really doesn't take that long, it just gets processed again and again and again, until the specified time limit is up, then it finishes that final run. The longer the task runs, the more scientific value the result has, as more folding permutations are simulated. But, you can set it to run for as little as one hour, I believe. The points per hour do not seem to vary appreciably, based on whether you let it run for one hour or 72 hours. This makes it a good project for both short duration Sprints, and long duration Marathons.
I never knew this, you'll have to give me pointers next time its ran.

Reactions: ao_ika_red

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Hmm. I was just glancing over the voting rules once more, and noticed something which had escaped my attention before:
  • There are 4 CPU races: For 14, 7, 5, and 3 days, respectively.
    (Or up to 17, 10, 8, 6 days, if the announcement period of up o 3 days is fully used for bunkering.)
  • The CPU project with the most team votes (and quorum 1) will be assigned to the shortest race (3 days +, sprint).
  • second most team votes -> second shortest race (5 days +, city run)
  • third most team votes -> second longest race (7 days +, swimming)
  • Teams don't get to vote on the longest race (14 days +, marathon, chosen by the organizers, and overriding the team votes for city run and swimming).
So in short, the most popular CPU project gets the smallest time slot. :confused:

(Or the 2nd most popular gets the shortest slot, if the most popular one was a quorum 2 project.)

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, I know SETI looks for ET, but what do the other ones do ? Oh, primegrid looks for prime numbers.

So anything else you can tell us about these ?

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Poll posted. Please see OP, which has been edited.
CSG is missing.

Medical:
Rosetta@home​
Biology:
Citizen Science Grid​
Astronomy:
Asteroids@home, SETI@home, Universe@home​
Mathematics - Number Theory:
all of the other choices​

Orange Kid's sticky thread has short descriptions and links.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I think Asteroids is really cool. :cool: It figures out the shape of asteroids when all a telescope can see is a blinking point of light.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
CSG is missing.
Medical:
Rosetta@home​
Biology:
Citizen Science Grid​
Astronomy:
Asteroids@home, SETI@home, Universe@home​
Mathematics - Number Theory:
all of the other choices​
Orange Kid's sticky thread has short descriptions and links.
CSG, Rosetta and Universe are not in the poll for the following reasons:
  • There are only 10 possible choices
  • CSG and Rosetta had received so much positive feedback that we have decided to vote for those projects anyway. Thus we need only two more projects to choose.
  • Universe is too unstable

[H]Coleslaw

Apr 15, 2014
Keep in mind that 2 years ago CSG had issues at the beginning of the challenge and there were many that were not happy about that. Travis is a pretty good admin but this is typically at the end of college semesters and he may not be fully available. I'm not familiar with his scheduling but he tends to do a lot of conferences and such. Keep that in mind when voting. Also the more teams that vote for Rosetta, the less likely it will be given more than 3 days attention. I would prefer it to be the Marathon. And even if it gets the most votes, could still be that since the Marathon is picked by the coordinators. But just some food for thought.

Reactions: StefanR5R