Which Painkiller games should I buy

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Bought and played the original Painkiller years ago (still have the dvd) and was wondering if it's worth it to buy the black ed AND any of the other games that followed. Which games in the series would you recommend? :)

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Bought and played the original Painkiller years ago (still have the dvd) and was wondering if it's worth it to buy the black ed AND any of the other games that followed. Which games in the series would you recommend? :)

For my money, the original stands on its' own. The first expansion pack was OK (Battle Out Of Hell?) but wasn't great. I'm pretty sure the black edition is just the original plus the BOOH expansion, so if you can find the expansion cheaper than the black edition go that way. I wouldn't bother with any of the rest, just go back through the first one and try to get all of the secrets. It takes a long time and is a blast.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
For my money, the original stands on its' own. The first expansion pack was OK
As I thought...However the new Hell and Damnation remake looks interesting...release Aug 30 or about. However, looks like a very short version of the original.

Last edited:

FuryofFive

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2005
the original and BOOH were created by people can fly. Id stick with those. the rest is more of the same. but kind of lost its feel.
The HD version has controller support as well if that helps.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Just get Painkiller: Black Edition (the original game + expansion) and play that before worrying about getting anything else.

The sequels were outsourced to other developers and they're regarded as being nowhere near as good as the original. But they might still be worth looking at if you can get them for cheap.

The newest one is good - Hell and Damnation - but that's because it's just an enhanced remake of the original. :p Unfortunately, it's missing many of the levels that the original had.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Painkiller is a great game especially for the $7.99 I paid for it. The graphics still look good and I love run-and-gun style gameplay. A great, mindless FPS. Just get the 1st expansion.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
You only want the first two expansions: Battle out of Hell and Overdose. Don't get anything else, not even the new "remake".

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012

If you've played the original then none. Battle out of hell had some really stupid things (a very bad jumping sequences) as well as idiotic minibossf ights (for example you have to kick down several bonfires in the arena, so the miniboss would be vulnerable, no he wasn't a fire elemental or a fire demon and the bonfires were small, so there wasn't really any logical connection or clue what to do) and all the level with exception of the amusement park looked either recycled or scrapped for a good reason from the development of the original. Even the cinematics were of a much lower quality. I was deeply disappointed, because it felt like a completely different game. Some kind of a budget parody on painkiller.