Which one would you pick, for your first internship.

imported_vr6

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2001
I have two internship positions open to me at this moment and are having a hard time to decide. May the wise people of atot guide me to success!:beer:

Here are the descriptions:

Job1

Job Title: Enterprise Architecture Design Intern
Job Description: Intern position located in Annapolis. Applications Development- Perform requirements gathering and analysis for a software development project - Reports Development - Web site development - Develop a software application - Quality Assurance- test plan development and execution - Applications and COTS testing
Job Openings: 1
Job Type: Part Time
Wage: Not Reported (Unpaid)
Pros of Job1
-Lots of different things to do and learn it seems like from the description
Cons of job1
-40minute commute from my house
-unpaid

Job2
Job Title: Paid Intern
Job Description: Seeking 1 Junior/Senior working toward an IT related degree. Will work as a team to provide outstanding customer service and support to 110+ users daily. Must be knowledgeable in Window XP, basic networking (TCP/IP) skills, basic troubleshooting skills, and great customer service. Knowledge of netware/Novell client a plus. May occasionally work on documentation, inventory, and assist in miscellanous projects. Job Pay: $8 - $10 Job Hours: Work hours are Mon-Fri. 7:30 am - 4pm. We will work within the selected intern's schedule to determiine what days/hours they can work.
Job Openings: 1
Job Type: Part Time
Wage: $8.00 - 10.00 (Hourly)
Pros of job2
-15min commute
-paid
-seems more relaxed and hands on
cons of job2
-how much experience will i actually gain?

SO what would you do if u were me?
I will learn alot from either job, i don't know which one would be more beneficial to me. Help me decide, please give a reason why.

Thanks.

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Which position would give you more marketable skills to increase your future employment opportunities?

That's the one to take.

IMHO, of course.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
They sound like two very very different jobs.

If you want to be go into software development/engineering, pick #1
If you want to do tech support, pick #2

Personally, I'd take #1 in a heartbeat.

Of course, maybe that's because I'm a software engineer and I hate doing support and dealing with stupid users who need help with changing their font in MS Word.

imported_vr6

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2001
another note i need to include is:
I have an second interview with job2 on monday, i am almost certain i will get the job.
My first interview for job one is April 21st

so if i take job two for now and switch to job one later if that works out, would that be an unprofessional move, or i should do whatever it takes to benefit myself?

decisions, decisions..

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
Poll?
I like Job 2, but that's only a personally preferance as I can get paid and I already know that stuff...

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Is there a list of people who have interned at either place available?

The interns where I work have done everything from grunt work to actual research. It depends on who, group, person, etc, they work for.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
all you people who are saying go for the moeny are stupid.

$8-$10 is crap in the scheme of things, a good internship will help him earn triple that while in college,

imported_vr6

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2001
yes i understand the whole point about the money isn't the most important thing, but a 40min commute for my an broke ass student isn't good. Gas is nearing $2 per gallon, and since i only get 20miles per gallon or alittle more on highway, it will become expensive for me to travel 40min a day. They don't have a reimbursement program or something so thats my main concern.

I don't mind workin for free, but the cost of me workin there seems to be high.:confused:

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Kwan1
another note i need to include is:
I have an second interview with job2 on monday, i am almost certain i will get the job.
My first interview for job one is April 21st

so if i take job two for now and switch to job one later if that works out, would that be an unprofessional move, or i should do whatever it takes to benefit myself?

decisions, decisions..

I've done that once, when I left a job taking reservations at Marriott after being there for 6 weeks. It's unprofessional, but then, they're taskmasters so I didn't mind too much. ;)

I'd say take the first job only because $8-$10 is not nearly enough for the grief Job 2 will bring. I did Job 2 when I was 16, at a company of 40 people where I knew everyone, and it was great. I did Job 2 again for a hospital system, and while it had its moments, it was overall not great.

Edit: didn't notice the 40-minute commute part. That sucks. Go for Job 2 if that's the best you can find. I certainly hope that's not the best you can find, unless you're still in high school.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Kwan1
yes i understand the whole point about the money isn't the most important thing, but a 40min commute for my an broke ass student isn't good. Gas is nearing $2 per gallon, and since i only get 20miles per gallon or alittle more on highway, it will become expensive for me to travel 40min a day. They don't have a reimbursement program or something so thats my main concern.

I don't mind workin for free, but the cost of me workin there seems to be high.:confused:
Good advice from Shanti above.

What are you studying to do after college, IT or software development?

If it's software development: Speaking as someone who has waded through piles of resumes a couple of times in the past, job 1 would make you stand out from other grads, job 2 is only a half-step above a fast-food or sales job. Job 1 could mean the difference between getting one of your first choices of employers or taking what you can get.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Ameesh
all you people who are saying go for the moeny are stupid.
$8-$10 is crap in the scheme of things, a good internship will help him earn triple that while in college,
Maybe you are stupid. That 1st internship is not worth driving to. I did crap tech support stuff, net admin for my 1st internship, then 2nd one was motherboard design for $20/hr. Nothing to do with each other.

imported_vr6

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2001
Yeah the driving part is the only part holding me back, i am hoping more summer intership opportunities will come. I have not decided if i wanted to do IT or software development yet.

I am an IS major, please don't crap major, save that for an different thread, as i can do program better then MOST cmsc students that i have taken classes with.

This is my first internship opportunity, and i am about to finish my junior year. i might be able to get one or two other internships in before my graduation, so i will probably take job2, not because of the money, but because i am not sure which field i am interested in, and its just more convienent for me, plus i have a few weeks to try job2 anyway.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
maybe you should actually wait before you get an offer to start deciding which one to choose? beggars can't be choosers

imported_vr6

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2001
who said i was begging? Like i said i just need an opinion on which internship is more beneficial, if you have some other things you wish to say, save that for something else, i have no interest in hearing them.

SoyBoy004

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Shanti
They sound like two very very different jobs.

If you want to be go into software development/engineering, pick #1
If you want to do tech support, pick #2

Personally, I'd take #1 in a heartbeat.

Of course, maybe that's because I'm a software engineer and I hate doing support and dealing with stupid users who need help with changing their font in MS Word.

i agree here. job #1 sounds more interesting and seems to offer more experience.