Question Which one of these PSU's best for a budget GPU upgrade?

Coyle

May 15, 2020
I would think that any of those would be fine, really.

Edit: What about one of these S12III 500W units for $39.99 AR?

Don't know if I can count on receiving the rebate--bad past experience, or I'd get the CX450/AR. Between the Seasonic & the EVGA anything to tip in favor between the two, or pretty much the same?

Last edited:

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Don't know if I can count on receiving the rebate--bad past experience, or I'd get the CX450/AR. Between the Seasonic & the EVGA anything to tip in favor between the two, or pretty much the same?

I bought a 550 Watt corsair modular supply several years ago. I DID get the $20 rebate. I had to cut off a section of the box as proof of purchase, and send it in. Just be sure you read and follow their _exact_ instructions. I received a debit type card for the $20 and I spent it on gasoline.

I know what you mean about rebate scams. This was the first time I tried one since the 80's, having found they usually don't work.
I guess corsair don't want to get a bad name ... or maybe I just got lucky.

Last edited:

Coyle

May 15, 2020
I bought a 550 Watt corsair modular supply several years ago. I DID get the $20 rebate. I had to cut off a section of the box as proof of purchase, and send it in. Just be sure you read and follow their _exact_ instructions. I received a debit type card for the $20 and I spent it on gasoline.

I know what you mean about rebate scams. This was the first time I tried one since the 80's, having found they usually don't work.
I guess corsair don't want to get a bad name ... or maybe I just got lucky.
I read that an independent company handles the rebates. Hmm, good that you got yours, maybe go for it; not much of a gambler but it is a good PSU compared to those others, I think.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic...all good. I also have a Thermaltake 430W PSU from decades(?) ago in my son's PC that is still going strong, and a 600W OCZ in my other son's that has a very loud fan, but runs fine. I've never had a PSU fail in 30+ years. I am looking to upgrade and give him my EVGA 550w PSU though. I really wish the prices were still around 2018 levels ;)

On rebates, I've never been stiffed from any company over many years now. ASRock, EVGA, MSI, ASUS...I've always received them. In the old days I think they only sent them out if you 'followed-up' (i.e. b*tched) after they took longer than they were supposed to (6-8 weeks). I just a month ago claimed the $40 Steam and additional $10 rebate for my MSI B550 MB. All online, attached pics of my receipt and S/N. So much easier than cutting and mailing stuff. I got the Steam keys in about a week. I'll likely get the pre-loaded credit card for the $10 soon.