Which one is your favorite strategy game?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Total Annihilation gets my vote, but it's not listed so I picked Supreme Commander, even though it kinda sucks compared to TA:CC.
Otherwise Civilization, Alpha Centauri, and Galciv2 are awesome too ...

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
A poll on strategy games without alpha century (best TBS) and starcraft (best RTS) automatically fails

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Company of Heroes by far. Decent variety of players and very few cookie-cutter strategies past the early game. Even then it's a toss-up. I love the low-level squad tactics. :p

Starcraft is awesome, but it's so old now that almost every possible strategy has been extrapolated and mastered by some Korean who knows every hotkey by heart. Us casual players don't even have a shot.

ethebubbeth

Golden Member
May 2, 2003
I voted supreme commander, since that is my favorite in the poll. My favorite of all time is probably Homeworld.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I've only player COH and AOE3 in the list. I like both. Though my favorites are some of the older turn-base ones because turn-base games are more addicting imo.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: mooncancook
I've only player COH and AOE3 in the list. I like both. Though my favorites are some of the older turn-base ones because turn-base games are more addicting imo.

My main problems with AOE3 are basically centered around the interface.

1. You can't zoom out enough to see anything beyond the immediate 100 yards or so. Generally speaking I should be able to see at least half of my base without moving the camera.

2. The console takes up 1/3 of the screen, mostly due to unnecessary borders and frames. Rise of Nations provides arguably superior functionality with about half the console space.

3. If you order a formation to attack, they don't charge, they continue to march in slow formation until they make contact, and there is no "charge" command that I've been able to find. Instead I have to use attack move to get them moving and then select the target I want. Stupid.

4. You have no control over formations. None whatsoever.

5. No easy way of selecting heroes, and heroes are hard to distinguish at times. A little blue star tends to get mixed with little blue borders during the actual combat.

7. When you drag a box around military and civilian units, it selects all of them, not just the military units. In games like starcraft where your military is naturally separated from your resource gathering this is acceptable, but here, where shipments arrive at your town center smack in the middle of resource gathering, things can get annoying.

8. It is hard to tell exactly what you selected. There are tiny pictures with numbers of them above the primary unit portrait when a group is selected, and I have to actually look at them instead of a quick glance. There is also no easy way to select a specific unit type within the group from these pictures.

To end on a positive note, I do like the mechanics. Being able to to buy units in groups (albeit as a slower rate) adds an interesting twist, and it's nice to have artillery that doesn't need to be packed up to move 3 feet. The campaigns are meh, but entertaining, and the 3D design is alright. A little cartoonish, but it works. Despite my criticisms it's a solid games.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Out of the games in that list, I have only played COH. Bought it a month ago and have spent a few hours with it. Seems great even if I somehow win battles in the campaign even though I get totally destroyed (maybe there is some hand holding).

The last RTS game I played for long periods of time was Warcraft 2.

geoffry

Sep 3, 2007
I voted WiC, although I enjoyed CoH alot too.

I'm thinking of giving starcraft a try, I remember borrowing it from a friend a long, long time ago but I think I only played a few levels and remember almost nothing about it....I know, I am missing one of the greats.

Never tried any medieval games but I enjoyed Rise of Nations alot.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
90's: Lords of the Realm II
00's: Civ IV
Listed: World in Conflict

The Civilization franchise is easily my favorite series.

S

SlitheryDee

There's only two strategy games that I ever really got into, and they're not on your list.

I've played company of heroes and didn't care for it.

I've played Supreme commander and didn't care for it.

I've played several others and did care for any of them.

The only reason I keep trying strategy games is because Starcraft and the Homeworld series were so awesome. Nothing else seems to click with me though.

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
Commandos 2: Men of Courage, one of the best strategy games I've ever played. :)

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
Starcraft+Brood War, Aom Titans, AoE1&2(3 is s**t), Warcraft 1+2+3(+4hopefully), Alpha Centauri and Dungeon Keeper. Rise of Nations isn't bad also. None of the others listed here though.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Starcraft of course but the only other one I played is Company of Heroes and I just finished it yesterday. I really enjoyed it. I'm thinking of getting WiC to get some more RTS goodness cus I don't want to get Red Alert 3 cus of DRM crappiness but I don't think my system could really handle it that well.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
You missed three big ones:

Starcraft
Warcraft III
Warhammer