Which of these kinds of fallacious arguments do you use/encounter most often when tackling master debaters/flamers?

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
You'll never watch a political debate the same way again...

I just came across this. Very useful when dealing with zealots, enemy disinformation, propaganda, character assassination in the media, revisionists, political speeches and addresses, etc...

e.g. Inflation Of Conflict:

arguing that scholars debate a certain point. Therefore, they must know nothing, and their entire field of knowledge is "in crisis" or does not properly exist at all. For example, two historians debated whether Hitler killed five million Jews or six million Jews. A Holocaust denier argued that this disagreement made his claim credible, even though his death count is three to ten times smaller than the known minimum.

Reminds me of a recent OT thread. :)

For another example, propaganda techniques used by extreme environmentalists.

My Name Is Jonas (Weezer)

ajskydiver

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2000
Excellent source of fallacies.

I wrote a paper on them quite some time ago and listed about 12...this is a great source of info.

Apr 23, 2001
i wish there was a way mods could make this thread 'auto-bumped' like the top post in the trading forum. excellent find, neato!

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Encouter: Their contention (Bush is dumb)
Argument By Repetition (Argument Ad Nauseam):
if you say something often enough, some people will begin to believe it. There are some net.kooks who keeping reposting the same articles to Usenet, presumably in hopes it will have that effect.