Which NVIDIA drivers have the best balance between performance and image quality?

adelgary

Oct 18, 2001
I have a GeForce3 Ti200, and I'm wondering which Detonators do you recommend for my card? I'm looking for a good balance between performance and IQ, with a little biase towards image quality.

Thanks a lot.

Edit: I'm on a Celeron 800MHz, 256MB RAM, and running Windows XP Proffesional.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
For GF3, I'd stick to the 30.82 WHQL's (or whichever was the latest in the 30.xx series). Most people agree that is still the most stable detonator out there, and performance is very good too. The det 40.xx's really only introduced optimizations for the GF4 lines, so if anything, they may give you problems.

Chiz

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
I've read a lot of posts with people having difficulties with the 40.72 drivers as well............ BUT

I have been using them for a while now (GF3 WindowsXP)

I did get a performance boost (albeit nowhere near 25%) and see no difference in quality. Another

plus is the display properties GUI.... MUCH nicer (IMO) than the 30.82. I also noticed that the 40.72 are

no longer considered beta at the NVidia site.

My best advise is BE SURE TO COMPLETELY REMOVE ALL REMNANTS OF PREVIOUS DRIVERS before the install.

If you want, I'll be happy to give you a copy of a removal procedure (found it on the GURU3D forums a while back)

(Just PM me if you need it)

-sid

adelgary

Oct 18, 2001
I thought you just go to the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and uninstall the drivers from there? Well, if more needs to be done then that's sloppy design on nVIDIA's part if you ask me.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
sloppy design
I gotta agree with ya on that! :disgust:

I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to double click the download and it uninstalls properly and then sets up the new ones.

But sadly, it just doesn't work that way. (using the auto-installer is where a lot of people's problems come from)