Which laptops don't overheat over time?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kerio_Orisa

Jun 13, 2016
Thinkpad, always a Thinkpad or Dell business line laptop.

Thanks....I have never used Lenovo Thinkpad or Dell before. Any specific models? or prefix? For my use, I need atleast 2.0ghz (i3, i5 etc, but not celeron, Intel Atom lineup or anything by AMD). I do not need a dedicated GPU either. Just decent processing power.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Not sure about in Windows, but in Linux you can use "CPU Frequency Tools" to change the maximum frequency your CPU will run at on many laptops after 2001 (because of Speedstep/PowerNow).

You can go into the advanced power options under cpu and change the max frequency percentage for it under each power plan (high performance, balanced, power saving etc).

Since I have a recent skylake core I have set it to a max of 90% of it's max frequency even under the high performance power plan. It never goes above 62 degrees celsius in 78 degrees F environment even while gaming and having 2 browsers open and streaming radio over the internet.

for other power saving plans I have it set to lower percentages of the max frequency. It never uses more than 25-30% of the cpu that I have seen (I have a logitech keyboard that can show it constantly without having to have an overlay on my games) in any case.

Last edited:

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
#1 Is integrated graphics better/worse in low end to mid range?
#2 What kind of laptops have you guys had and have you had this problem?
#3 I think it's generally flash or that type of strain which stresses them.

#1 Integrated graphics as far as 3d performance is just bad across the board. Intel Iris is better, but rare and only in expensive laptops. Go ahead and consider a discrete graphic card if you want some 3d power. If you stick with the x40 to x60 range of gforce chips, you shouldn't have much heating issues and still get good gaming. x80 is high end gaming with high end issues like heat production.

#2 never had any heating issue laptops myself. My first several were celeron based, then I had one with a dual core 1 which was manageable and an ati video card but the video card wasn't powerful enough to run much. It ran WoW on low settings. My last laptop I went with a i7 ULV and 745m and it came out great. The i7 has plenty of power but so little heat and power use, and the 745m allows me to play any game I want and still keeps heat manageable. The cooling is done by a single fan that seems to only have 2 speeds, barely audible and low speed.

#3 flash is dead, very few things use flash anymore for heavy lifting. Youtube has all but abolished flash. That said, youtube definitely takes more cpu then say, media player. My mini pc has fans that really ramp up to any cpu temp increases and youtube is noticeably louder. cpu load gets even worse on videos that use 60fps.

My current laptop has made me a believer in ULV processors. Unless you need desktop performance, a ULV processor will give you enough for everything without the heat issues and battery drain.

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
Thanks....I have never used Lenovo Thinkpad or Dell before. Any specific models? or prefix? For my use, I need atleast 2.0ghz (i3, i5 etc, but not celeron, Intel Atom lineup or anything by AMD). I do not need a dedicated GPU either. Just decent processing power.

My w530 for 15.6" workstation, t430 for 14", Dell Precision series is pretty good. I actually prefer my w520 and t420 for the keyboard but the 30 series runs a tiny bit cooler.

Last edited:

Kerio_Orisa

Jun 13, 2016
Thinkpad, always a Thinkpad or Dell business line laptop. T

Correction. I have a Dell Latitude E5420 lying around. Didn't knew that its Dell's business line laptop. Its with i3-2350m processor and HD 3000. That laptop gets pretty warm in the bottom, so not comfortable to hold on lap. The working temperature under normal load of CPU on my E5420 is ca 65 degree C, while on my Probook 4330s, it is ca 38 degree C. So I don't think all Dell business lineup are good for keeping the bottom cold. Some are pretty bad like my E5420.