Which keyboard and touchpad are you using?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Which keyboard and touchpad are you using with your HTPC and how do you like it? I'm leaning towards the Logitech K400 plus but I like some of the things the smaller keyboard/touchpad combos offer. I'm also concerned on how well the touchpad works. I tried unified remote on two devices last night and the touchpad is super glitchy and a pain to use.

Oct 16, 1999
The touchpad on the K400 is pretty good, haven't had any issues with mine. Unified Remote needs a really good wifi signal because it will stutter and lag with packet loss. I have a repeater on my HTPC, first so I can WoL, but it also keeps Unified Remote working pretty solidly. I do disable the pinch zoom because that just seems to be overly sensitive and there's also "limit mouse speed" option that may help on weaker connections. But even at it's peak it's still going to be as finicky as whatever phone screen it's on.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks. It's good to hear the K400 touchpad works well. When I tried Unified Remote both my mobile device and htpc are in the same room as my router which is about 10 feet away from each device. I tried it on my cheapy Amazon Fire and Motorola E. The double finger jesters (scroll, etc.) just didn't work well.

I'll probably grab a K400 plus when they go back on sale.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm still using a Logitech diNovo Mini... I wouldn't mind getting something that has a full sized keyboard. I don't really game from the HTPC so this has always seemed to meet my needs.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
After a lot of trial and error I use the IOGEAR Multimedia Keyboard with a rollerball instead of trackpad and find it works a lot better. Recently I have gotten into the habit of keeping a full sized wireless kb and mouse with a lapdesk under my coffee table to pull out when I want to do a lot of typing or do something more complicated than surf the web.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
After a lot of trial and error I use the IOGEAR Multimedia Keyboard with a rollerball instead of trackpad and find it works a lot better. Recently I have gotten into the habit of keeping a full sized wireless kb and mouse with a lapdesk under my coffee table to pull out when I want to do a lot of typing or do something more complicated than surf the web.
Which lapdesk do you use? Is it sturdy?

Loop2kil

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2004
I use one of these with my HTPC and have had good success with it. Bluetooth, full sized keyboard, pairs easily and stays paired, lc/rc buttons on both sides of keyboard(essential requirement for me). I got it refurbed from 1daysale a few years ago for $19.99 and it's been great. The only knock is that it doesn't have volume control buttons built in.

Logitech PlayStation 3 Cordless MediaBoard Pro

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-PlayStation-3-Cordless-MediaBoard-Pro/dp/B000W5RBQE

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I use a Logitech K830 in my bedroom. I used to use the K400, but I just didn't like it. The problem is that I use it to control Plex (still haven't found a remote that I like), and it's quite the pain trying to find a single key in the dark. So, right now, I can activate the backlight by touching the touchpad and see the key.

The keyboard is more expensive than the K400, but I bought a Used - Like New model off Amazon for about $20 more than the K400.

Sep 12, 2004
I use this. Bought it for $5 at a garage sale. Plugged it into the WMC computer, it worked. Plugged it into an Xbox360, worked. Plugged into a Ceton Echo..worked. Now it's in a Tivo Bolt. Works.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Touch pads are just OK. I am using the K400 series and it is really sensitive at first but it works pretty well when you get use to it. It is a little hard to get use to not using a mouse if you never used a laptop computer. I have thought about the possibility of using a track ball also.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
I have been using this for years - https://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-Keyboard-Touchpad-Raspberry/dp/B00Z81U3YY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480121499&sr=8-2&keywords=rii+mini+i8+
Use on a Win7/Kodi setup. 2.4GHz but not BT so you can get into the bios if necessary - no need for drivers to load up. Charge lasts quite a long time and when drained, just connect to a mini-usb connector from a phone charger and it works then and charges at the same time goes. LED lets you know when it is fully charged. I was a bit skeptical at first, but now would not go a different direction in the future for my HTPC upgrade which is coming up. Last, there is a key on the remote to turn on the backlight function which works excellent.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabesh

Hilary Andrews

Dec 2, 2016
I am using Lenovo keyboard and Logitech touchpad. I think it is the best choice. You can search for awesome deals online.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I have a bt iPassport kb/touchpad. works well enough. Don't plan to write your thesis with this though.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I have been using this for years - https://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-Keyboard-Touchpad-Raspberry/dp/B00Z81U3YY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480121499&sr=8-2&keywords=rii+mini+i8+
Use on a Win7/Kodi setup. 2.4GHz but not BT so you can get into the bios if necessary - no need for drivers to load up. Charge lasts quite a long time and when drained, just connect to a mini-usb connector from a phone charger and it works then and charges at the same time goes. LED lets you know when it is fully charged. I was a bit skeptical at first, but now would not go a different direction in the future for my HTPC upgrade which is coming up. Last, there is a key on the remote to turn on the backlight function which works excellent.

I use this as well. I have k400 as well and will only use that if I'm doing any extended typing. For for htpc use the little keyboard is the way to go.

I recently just picked this newer version up and it feels even nicer!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L6QVQH2/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: sabesh

sabesh

Nov 10, 2013
I have this, and other WiFi keyboards, which don't work well for me (hit or miss when typing). I picked up the Bluetooth version of this keyboard, and loving it. No missed characters. Rii i8+

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

I was just cruising the thread as it popped up again, and have been using that awhile on the HTPC in the bedroom.

It has lost a few function keys over time, that was my fault, but is still a nice little keyboard for a wireless HTPC.

I think the price on one has almost doubled from when I bought mine though.

Amazon is even out of stock it looks, I looked for the hell of it.