Which is the best of these cheap club sets?

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
I'm looking to buy a cheap set of golf clubs, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these sets:

1) CG Balance 8/4 All Graphite Men's Golf Club Set - $130

2) Northwestern Golf Men's Status QCW 8/3 All Graphite Club Set - $150

3) Pro Select CM7 All Graphite Men's Golf Club Set - $130

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Man, I've never even heard of those.

Maybe you should try buying a set of used ones off fleabay?

I'm sure you can find a set that somebody bought thinking they'll try out golf and giving up after only a few rounds.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
It all depends on how you play.

I have the Pro Select all graphites (don't remember the model). They are nice (IMO).

The only thing I didn't like is that the shaft on the driver is a little too flexible for me. I could probably get more distance if I went with a stiffer shaft. ;)

I score in the 50's on 9-holes, tho, so what do I know. ;)

amish

Jan 18, 2001
graphite shafts in low end clubs are not very good. go for steel shafts unless you have a very slow swing speed.

Knock-off clubs are decent, especially if you don't play much or shoot in the 90-120 range.

I would just urge you to stay away from graphite.

EDIT: graphite shafts means many things... in low-end clubs, these shafts are mostly plastic with a low percentage of graphite, just enough to get classified as 'graphite'.

i am using a set of Triumph's that cost 200ish for irons and woods... the woods suck but I needed them and didn't have enough money to buy a real driver.

hammer01

May 12, 2000
Definitely avoid the graphite, especially in cheap clubs. I personally would go with the fleabay idea first but if not then the Northwesterns.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Ok. Found the Pro Selects I have. They are the Aeroheads.

I got them on-sale for $180. Regular price nearly $500.

I don't regret the purchase at all!

amish

whizbang

Feb 16, 2001
If you are just learning, it probably doesn't matter. It'll be enough of a challenge just to get the club head on the ball. Like DoggieDog said, you might want to get a used set off fleabay. If you get an average set (instead of a crappy set like these), you can grow into them without wanting to splurge on a new set once you can hit the ball. You can pick up an average used set on fleabay for about what you'll spend on these cheap sets.

xraymongral

Banned
Nov 25, 2000
Go for a good set of used clubs. Thats the best way to go by far. Though I did maage to once find a good set of cheap clubs at MC sporting goods. The were made in England, nice shafts and heads. But that is the exception, not the rule.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Once again, like everyone else said, don't get graphite as a beginner.

You will likely not be able to get good ball contact when you are starting out and most likely will ground the club a lot.

My friend gave me his old set of graphite Mizunos when I started out and I really beat on those clubs. One day while at the driving range I took a swing and the club just snapped right at the hosel and my head went tomahawking out about 50 yards. It was pretty funny. I eventually ended up breaking 4 clubs that way.

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Get these

I just bought them for my dad. They are the Kunnan 3 Wood/8 iron set for about 160 shipped ($149). I was recommended to these by other golfers, but haven't taken em out to the range yet.