Which is the best Heatsink for my AMD Athlon XP 1600+?

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
I'd suggest a thermalright SK6

go into anandtech's cooling reviews on anandtech's main site and you can find the september "socket a cooler roundup" which reviews the SK6 plus many others

JOSEPHLB

Banned
Jun 20, 2001

Thermalright SK6

I'm running the same CPU, on an MSI KT266 PRO 2 (Default FSB and Default Voltage)

CPU TEMP: 30C

Acetate

Sep 19, 2001
How the hell do you get such low temperatures with the sk5?? 30 deg.?? thats insane!.
I run my duron 600 at 910 and get 42 deg full load.

ASII + shim.

A7V133
Enlight 7237 case w/intake outake

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
Different MBs read socket-a temps differently. Ambient temp also plays a huge role...

In addition, AthlonXP PCB further exacerbates how inaccurate socket-thermistors are, so XP versus T-bird temps, even on the same MB, aren't possible due to how much better the new pcb is at blocking heat from backside thermistors.

For example, a low-reading mb with a poor heatsink can easily give lower "readings" than a quality heatsink on a hotter reading MB. This is why giving temps that aren't accurate by any means only leads to further confusion... Also, thermistor placement is a big problem... for example, if I bend down the thermistor on my 8kha+, I can "lose" 5C off my temp readings...

Mike

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
Umm, on a 1.4ghz XP, with a Thermalright SK6+ Delta, the only way 30C is your full load temp (talking about actual die temps, not crap socket-thermistor readings) is IF YOUR AMBIENT CASE TEMP IS ~9C. If your case temp is higher, than your MB is under-reporting drastically. Since hte average case is between 20-30C, i'd have to guess that your socket-thermistor is amoung the most inaccurate out there.

Mike

JOSEPHLB

Banned
Jun 20, 2001
Oh well...

None of these temp. thermistors are acurate anyway.. it doesn't matter what motherboard you use....

I remember the good ole Asus P3V4X board, and with every bios revision it seemed to change every reading..

The main point of whoever started the thread is, that for the price, you cant beat the Thermalright SK6
It clips on easily. It isn't excessively large, and it doesn't empty your wallet.

Just my two cents..

Micah

Dec 30, 2000
Check out The Listening Room before buying anything. Otherwise...you'll be sorry!

I got the Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu. It's really quiet but not powerful enough for good overclocking. Oh well, that's a decent trade-off in my book.