Which is best Android Phone?

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
Is price a consideration, and are we to choose only between the 2?

Last edited:

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
Where does Moto X Pure (2015) stand?
Damn amazing phone, kicking ass into 2017!

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Best for what?
I just got the Nextbit Robin. Possibly the best for $149

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
If price is not a consideration, Pixel XL. If price is then OnePlus 3T.
Pixel XL is definitely not the best phone ever, objectively. Subjectively? Definitely could be. But not objectively.

Of the two listed by the OP, the S7.

Best "Bang for the Buck" would either be OP3T, or Moto G4 Plus (if you don't need NFC or the best performance).

Radeon962

Jan 1, 2005
Pixel XL is definitely not the best phone ever, objectively. Subjectively? Definitely could be. But not objectively.

Of the two listed by the OP, the S7.

Best "Bang for the Buck" would either be OP3T, or Moto G4 Plus (if you don't need NFC or the best performance).

I didn't say it was the best phone ever. It is the best Android phone out right now, in my opinion.

Reactions: shortylickens

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I will refine my statement then. It is, objectively, not the best Android phone out now.

I don't know what phone beats it. It checks all the boxes except Micro SD.

Top tier SoC? Check.

AMOLED screen? Check.

Top tier camera? Check.

Built in VR platform? Check.

USB C connector? Check.

Only phone with Google Assistant (a HUGE improvement over Google Now)? Check.

Will get Android updates weeks at worst after release for the next two year at least? Check.

There isn't a Android phone that is better if cost is no object, just plenty that are maybe better values because the Pixel is so pricey.

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013

Top tier SoC? Check.

AMOLED screen? Check.

Top tier camera? Check.

USB C connector? Check.

Will get Android updates weeks at worst after release for the next two year at least? Check.

There isn't a Android phone that is better if cost is no object, just plenty that are maybe better values because the Pixel is so pricey.
Don't forget camera. My 6P produced amazing shots on my vacation. Everyone has loved my pics and asked if it was taken on a DSLR. If there was one phone I could upgrade to, the Pixel XL would be the one (for the camera alone). However, it's a bit more than I would like to spend when my 6P works (minus the battery issues).

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004

Top tier SoC? Check.

AMOLED screen? Check.

Top tier camera? Check.

USB C connector? Check.

No MicroSD card.

No waterproofing.

Google Assistant and the updates are a highly subjective thing; I personally care about neither. Daydream is subjectively inferior to Samsung's Oculus-based GearVR. The only objective bit it has over other devices is USB C.

Biggest argument against the Pixel? It's the ugliest phone I've seen in a long time. Subjectively, of course ;)

Reactions: Zaap

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
For my money, the S7 edge still.

That the afterthought that is the Pixel even makes anyone's list shows Android hardware currently in a sorry, sorry state.

Reactions: Raduque

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
For my money, the S7 edge still.

That the afterthought that is the Pixel even makes anyone's list shows Android hardware currently in a sorry, sorry state.

I wouldn't call it an afterthought. There are some shortcomings, to be sure, but the Pixel line to me is aimed at a different sort of experience than, say, the GS7 Edge. It's aimed at the general public, the kind of person who doesn't obsess over OS wars or the size of the feature checklist. Does it run quickly? Take high-quality photos? Have a no-nonsense interface? Last a reasonably long time on battery? Great, done, sign me up.

That's part of why the iPhone business is still strong (how well the iPhone 7 fares will be gauged partly by Q4 sales data in January). No, a phone doesn't live or die based on whether or not it has microSD storage, wireless charging or countless software gimmicks -- it's whether or not it covers the fundamentals well. That doesn't mean companies shouldn't push for some of those features, just that Google realizes many users don't care about those perks nearly as much as tech forum users think they should.

You are right that Android hardware is in something of a sorry state right now, though. It's not that there aren't good phones -- I have a soft spot for the HTC 10, for example -- it's that even some of the bigger companies just seem to be falling short, whether it's on software or lackluster hardware. LG's G5 was a mess, the Moto Z's modularity isn't much more than a gimmick and Sony botched the Xperia X line badly enough that it had to release a follow-up a few months later. If you're going to compete the stereotypical Android way (that is, insisting that bigger numbers and more features are always better), at least do it right. Otherwise, you're better off going the Apple/Google route and focusing on quality over quantity.

mkmitch

Nov 25, 2011
I ended up getting the moto z force droid last week over the samsung 7. Like the idea of mods, in fact ordered the battery mod.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
It's aimed at the general public, the kind of person who doesn't obsess over OS wars or the size of the feature checklist. Does it run quickly? Take high-quality photos? Have a no-nonsense interface? Last a reasonably long time on battery? Great, done, sign me up.

I disagree. The Pixel was intended to compete with the iPhone (and grab their market) but typical of Google, they miss the boat and made a device that has limited nerd appeal. It has the stock android OS (nobody really gives a shit about stock android), the design is polarizing (Google geeks love it, everybody else I showed it to thinks it's ugly), it's supremely expensive (most people buy couple hundred dollar phones at best, or finance $800 devices and still don't know what it's worth at worst), and when I tell people it's not waterproof like the S7 or iPhone7, and doesn't have a memory card, they ask me why. It's just not going to sell well to the general public. They want Galaxy, iPhone or cheap.