Which Ipod to get?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Nano is not a video ipod.

The 5G has the biggest jump... because it has video.

BTW, the iPod isn't broken... but it is frail. If you take care of your stuff, though, it shouldn't be a problem... plus it's pretty thin too... so watch how you hold it.

Not sure about iPod on the DRM issue. The only paid site that works with iPods is iTunes though... while 3rd party players have bigger options (as with the fill option with rhapsody and h10).

Norm

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
So which is a better choice?

Ipod nano or ipod 5th g? Or should I consider a mini?

Space isnt that big of a deal, being that im not likely going to have more then 1,000 tunes on my ipod.

Im only considering the ipod, I admit, because its the "in" product. Yes im shallow. Sue me.

responses will be appreciated.

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Griffinhart
Originally posted by: goku
you're not very smart are you? Why would you pay for a song that is in a lossy format? It's understandable to get a lossless format with DRM, then burn to disc and then rip agian but burning a lossy format to disc and then ripping it will only make it sound worse, especially when you recode it into MP3. Either buy the CD or download it off of all of MP3 or a P2p site.

Well, considering I don't do illegal music, I hate P2P sites, and I'm not paying $15 just to have one or two songs I like, None of those are an option. Also, Most of the MP3's I have are excellent quality. The songs I do own are mostly from rhapsody which does not sell you DRM'd files, but burns the music directly to a CD at the time of purchase. On the ones that I have burned then re-ripped, I personally can't discern any difference in the quality. Even with high quality headphones.

Just a disclaimer: I'm not bashing you or *ANYTHING*. But even I (not a 'real' audiophile) can tell the difference between 192kbps and 320kbps with my Shure e3cs (mid range in ear monitors - 120 bought, 180 retail).

try www.head-fi.org. I have a feeling the 'high quality' headphones you're talking about are probably not even over 100 bucks. And FWIW, if you seriously can't even tell the difference between reripped low quality tracks with 320 using even a 50 dollar pair of cans, you have hearing problems.

Now, if you have hearing problems, you're probably happier than those who have perfect pitch and golden ears, since you'll be satisfied rather easily.

Just letting you know..

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Noobtastic
So which is a better choice?

Ipod nano or ipod 5th g? Or should I consider a mini?

Space isnt that big of a deal, being that im not likely going to have more then 1,000 tunes on my ipod.

Im only considering the ipod, I admit, because its the "in" product. Yes im shallow. Sue me.

responses will be appreciated.

Pssch... fads.

Anyway, out of the iPods, the 5G 30GB seems to be the best deal. The nano is just small and scratches easily (although they came out with this new case thingy)... mini is discontinued, and well, shuffle is nice but only for a cheap mp3 player.

Norm

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Taejin
Originally posted by: goku
you're not very smart are you? Why would you pay for a song that is in a lossy format? It's understandable to get a lossless format with DRM, then burn to disc and then rip agian but burning a lossy format to disc and then ripping it will only make it sound worse, especially when you recode it into MP3. Either buy the CD or download it off of all of MP3 or a P2p site.

Well, considering I don't do illegal music, I hate P2P sites, and I'm not paying $15 just to have one or two songs I like, None of those are an option. Also, Most of the MP3's I have are excellent quality. The songs I do own are mostly from rhapsody which does not sell you DRM'd files, but burns the music directly to a CD at the time of purchase. On the ones that I have burned then re-ripped, I personally can't discern any difference in the quality. Even with high quality headphones.
Just a disclaimer: I'm not bashing you or *ANYTHING*. But even I (not a 'real' audiophile) can tell the difference between 192kbps and 320kbps with my Shure e3cs (mid range in ear monitors - 120 bought, 180 retail).
Nicely made ones (LAME), FHG, or Xing? IE, APS/V 2 will be difficult to hear differences with except on IEMs, and even then, not always easy (and definitely good enough for portable listening). Was that with any blindness involved?

I need to get some new foamies...that's how Shure gets ya. They sell you the razor and the blades, but the first blade takes awhile to wear out... :):):)
try www.head-fi.org.
Or don't. Run away. It will take you. Before you know it, you'll be talking about the sparkle and soundstage and decay, and...OK, really, it's awesome, and you can find good stuff to make music more enjoyable. Just be careful with your budget.
I have a feeling the 'high quality' headphones you're talking about are probably not even over 100 bucks. And FWIW, if you seriously can't even tell the difference between reripped low quality tracks with 320 using even a 50 dollar pair of cans, you have hearing problems.
...or just like the codec (I've ABX'ed Vorbis pretty high, FI, but not LAME MP3), or have crappy $50 headphones. It's amazing how cheap one can keep upgraditis at bay*, but how much you can spend and still have crap.
Now, if you have hearing problems, you're probably happier than those who have perfect pitch and golden ears, since you'll be satisfied rather easily.

Just letting you know..

* admittedly, I have a $200 gadget to control my favorite $15 gadget, so take it with a little grain of salt or two.

Sean D

Dec 1, 2005
Well, I guess I'll recommend an Archos media player, if you are looking for something to play movies as well as mp3s. I have an older AV400, and I love it. It really isn't that big, and is easy enough to carry around, depending on what model you get. While the lcd isn't the greatest movie experience (decent for road trips), it makes for a much better, and easy to use interface, which syncs easily with Windows. I usually connect it to my tv to watch movies anyway. Also, you can record tv shows, etc, which is a plus if you are into that kind of thing. They have a bunch of different models out now, some of which should fit into your budget if you look around.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Why are you still bumping... ? Get the iPod 5G 30GB already... it's the best deal for an iPod, unless you're looking for portability.

Norm

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Originally posted by: cevilgenius
Why are you still bumping... ? Get the iPod 5G 30GB already... it's the best deal for an iPod, unless you're looking for portability.

Norm

Is it really delicate?

When is the 6th g gonna come out?

MrCookie

Apr 27, 2000
I like my Dell DJ's more than my iPod Mini.
The software is more windows friendly, and you are not paying iPod/hype tax.

The Cowan Jetaudio X5s seem sweet, because they do radio as well, and the L series is boasting up to 35 hours battery life...

My co-worker just bought a Nano, and found that the average battery life is about 2/3 the claimed "max", which is what I found to be true about my iPod mini as well.

Since iPods don't come with the wall chargers anymore, they charge through the USB cable, which can be annoying, especially if you are travelling with it.

Doh!

Platinum Member
Jan 21, 2000
Originally posted by: MrCookie
Since iPods don't come with the wall chargers anymore, they charge through the USB cable, which can be annoying, especially if you are travelling with it.

There's a USB/AC adapter you can use. It costs around $10.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Originally posted by: Doh!
Originally posted by: MrCookie

There's a USB/AC adapter you can use. It costs around $10.

I can throw in the extra coin for a wall charger, as long as they are available.

What assecories are a must for ipods 5g?

Not like carry straps but like protective coverings, extra batteries? I dont want to scratch up my screen.

Is it portable?
Like can I go an take in on a plane?

Are the headphones it comes with nice or do I need to buy a different pair?

Can you use it with p2p file sharing networks or do I have to use itunes? When you buy and ipod, do you get some free songs??

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005

Norm

Is it really delicate?

Not sure how delicate exactly... I haven't had one, and if I did I'd take care not to drop it... but some people claim that it'll break if you drop it... and my friend has it stop/crash/freeze/die on him twice. Then again, there are those who claim Apple has excellent warranty.

5G iPod just came out... so 6G maybe in a year or two.

There are no extra batteries for the iPod since they use an internal battery, so if it dies that makes it a bit harder to fix. You want a carry-case that allows you to see everything (not the belt clip) and still use it. It's portable enough to take on a plane. Headphones are good enough but you'd probably want to get noise-cancelling headphones yourself.

As for songs... I believe you can upload them to the iPod if it doesn't have DRM on it. However, the only online service you can use with the iPod is Itunes... and I'm not sure if music ripped from CDs by WMP can be used with the iPod.

Norm

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005

Norm

Is it really delicate?

Not sure how delicate exactly... I haven't had one, and if I did I'd take care not to drop it... but some people claim that it'll break if you drop it... and my friend has it stop/crash/freeze/die on him twice. Then again, there are those who claim Apple has excellent warranty.

5G iPod just came out... so 6G maybe in a year or two.

There are no extra batteries for the iPod since they use an internal battery, so if it dies that makes it a bit harder to fix. You want a carry-case that allows you to see everything (not the belt clip) and still use it. It's portable enough to take on a plane. Headphones are good enough but you'd probably want to get noise-cancelling headphones yourself.

As for songs... I believe you can upload them to the iPod if it doesn't have DRM on it. However, the only online service you can use with the iPod is Itunes... and I'm not sure if music ripped from CDs by WMP can be used with the iPod.

Norm

I see but if I get itunes songs from p2p file sharing sites thats a.ok right?
What protective covering would I need?
What games does the ipod come with??

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
You should be able to use any Non-DRM music, from P2P or other sites.

You will not be able to use it with Rhapsody, Napster, or Yahoo music, or similar subsription services.

Not sure about iPod on the DRM issue. The only paid site that works with iPods is iTunes though... while 3rd party players have bigger options (as with the fill option with rhapsody and h10).
I know a guy that says he can buy songs from anywhere and put them on his ipod. What's the truth?
And he says he can leave them as MP3 on the ipod, or convert them to AAC.

He also says he swaps his itunes between his PC and Mac. But I've read other people saying you can't copy it/them to another PC.

I've also read both that you can, and that you can not copy WMA to an ipod/itunes. If you can, does it convert and recompress?

Also there's no way to copy itunes files to a pocketpc, or home or car MP3 jukebox without recompressing them, is there?

AznMaverick

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2001
If it makes any difference to you, it has no brightness/contrast controls, battery life for video is 2 hours for the 30 GB, and no fast forwarding for video. Also, People ahve been having problems with the lifetime of the battery, the people with the 3G, i hear are starting to have battery problems now, (battery capacity gets lower with time). I think it's lame that apple doesn't include accessories that should already be included for a $300 player.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
life time of the battery?

Is that replacable?

How many hours is the lifetime supposed to be?

The battery problems is a major concern for me, especially if I cant replace it.

How low does it get?

I dont use an ipod for hundreds of hours but the most I would use it in one sitting would be like 10 if I was on a plane.

Is the Jetway mp3 a video ipod?

What other mp3 services are there? I always thought Itunes was the best and im not doing the pay 5 bucks a month one.

wait if i pay 5 bucks a month for a service and download a bunch of mp3 songs, then cancell the service...do all my songs disappear or do i still have them?

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
What do you mean like Jetway mp3 a video ipod? An iPod is an iPod. If it's another brand, then it's a video and mp3 player.

iTunes, Yahoo, Rhapsody, Napster2, and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head. The 5/mo services, some you can fill up a mp3 player with them, but if you cancel the service I think they stop you from playing it, unless you buy that mp3 directly.

Norm

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
I went to a store and saw the ipod...and I WANT IT.

I looked at all the other mp3 players and they just dont look as cool as the ipod. the only problem was, it froze. How do I get rid of the freezing? press the "hold" button?

Sometimes it wouldnt go back to the menu. The nano was pretty cool too but I think its just to small I think I would lose it.

The ipod 30 g looks pretty nice and the games arnt that bad. The Zen and crap look 2 bulky and ugly although I didnt see the Jetway one. I think Ill stick with the ipod. I may get the nano, that looks pretty nice.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
LOL... personally I don't like the look and feel of the iPod... the gloss and shiny back, and it's too thin for me... I tend to drop thin things. Same problem for me with the Motorola V3. Damnit why does everyone have to make things "thin?"

Anyway, freezing... I forget but I think it was a bug with the sleep mode...

Norm

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
I loved the feel of it. Compared to the other MP3 players though I will say Apple would have done much better if it brought its price down 50 bucks for if it was 300 bucks, included some more acessories. Seems kinda brutal the way they sell s**t.

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Apple is just leeching off the image of the iPod. If everyone didn't treat it so godly, maybe then we can experience fair prices and a better market.

Norm

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
i still love the ipod.

nano is awesome, didnt seem that delicate though I would recommend a screen covering for any ipod mp3.