Which heatsink has THE BEST clip?

Quad

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2000
i was planning on the getting the fop32-1, but now i'm scared of the clip. what about the volcano II? i can get that for the same price as fop32-1....anyone know anything about the clip?

thanks

quad

Yozza

Feb 20, 2001
The FOP's clip is fine. I like it in fact, because there is a very secure fit.

When you install it, make sure the HSF is resting FLAT on the CPU, not at an angle. Then make sure it is kept flat while you do up one of the clips. The other clip is now easy, because all you need to do is make sure the HSF does not rock on the core, while securing the HSF.

Yoz

Grendel99

Dec 12, 2000
Yeah, if you just BE CAREFUL and take your time, you shouldn't have any problems. And pre-bend the clip a few times before installing it, that usually helps.

Quad

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2000
just a question:

just say i had the hsf installed with thermal compound already applied. and for some reason i needed to take off the hsf (for unlocking purposes, or whatever), do i need to re-apply the thermal compound? or can i just stick the hsf back on?

thanks

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Clean off both surfaces and reapply the thermal compound. I kind of like the Alpha clips. They are fairly easy to install. The FOP is pretty easy if you take the fan off. I did it with the fan on, and it scared me. With the fan off it was no prob.

pen^2

Banned
Apr 1, 2000
is it just me thinking taisol clips are b!tch to (un)install? takes me good 10 minutes every time, occasionally resulting in cuts on my fingers :(

zman6911

Jan 14, 2001
<SARCASM> The Alpha 6035 has the BEST clip money can buy </SARCASM> The thing is like a paper clip!!! Good HS though :).

SEOTAIJI

Nov 1, 2000
hahaha.. i read one of the posts here, and they said that the taisol hsf is a bitch to take off, he also said he got cuts, i thought it was really easy to put on, but taking it off was hmm.. soso..
it was today i took it on and off (without cpu, i know it would be harder with the cpu) and just testing it out, later today, i was like.. &quot;hmm.. wherd i get these cuts on my fingers??&quot; then i read this post

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
Take a look at the heatsink review at OCWORKBENCH. They tested one called the CORE (something like that). It attached using nylon cam type locks or you could mount it with nylon bolts thru the mobo holes. Looked pretty schweeet to me.