Which GTX 750ti should I get?

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I need a video card for a Dell PC that has a wimpy PSU with no external video card power connector, and I'm not interested in replacing the PSU for a variety of reasons. I realize that this seriously limits the available GPU choices, but it doesn't need to be a gaming powerhouse so that's fine. As I understand it, the best option available is the GTX 750ti, which has the added bonus of very low power usage, which is great for this particular situation. Speed is good, but reliability is far more important in this situation, so if a slightly slower card is significantly more reliable (and/or better warranty), that's definitely the better choice.

So, I noticed today that Newegg has three different versions of this card around $100 and I'm trying to decide which would be the best fit (I'm also open to other options if they don't cost too much more). If any of these companies have issues fulfilling rebates, that would be good to know as well.

The three options I'm pondering at Newegg are:
PNY GeForce GTX 750 Ti VCGGTX750T2XPB 2GB for $100 after $30 rebate.

PNY VCGGTX750T2XPB-OC GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB for $105 after $30 rebate.

ASUS GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB for $105 after $20 rebate.

The PNY OC card has a higher stock clock speed, which is nice, but only if it doesn't affect the reliability of the card. I've been pleased with ASUS products in the past but honestly don't know anything about their video cards. I appreciate any input you can give me.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
Reliability of the card is never usually an issue, however, that psu might be suspect. Even without additional PCI-e power connections, the GPU is still drawing between 60 and 75 watts under load. What is it's ratings?

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
The computer has been running an ATI HD 5670 without any problems at all, until the card finally gave up (it's quite a bit older than the machine). The 750ti draws a bit less power than the ATI so it shouldn't be a problem.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Some 750ti cards, like the Asus one you linked, require a power connector.

Teizo

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2010
EVGA is a good company, but I am somewhat partial to MSI because their components are top notch and their cooling solutions are for the most part inaudible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127783

$10 more than the EVGA one, but that is not too much to gripe about considering the length of time you will own the card (1 year from now that $10 will not even register in your mind).

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
I had the PNY GTX 750 Ti OC (the 1202 Mhz model). Quiet, compact and performed well. No six pin required either (like the ASUS with its oddly placed plug). I'd definitely recommend it if you need one. I actually sold it to someone here at AT. Wished I'd kept it - useful to have a little card like that around. As far as the power draw goes for the Dell OEM power supply, don't worry. The power target limit for the card is only 38.5w.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Some 750ti cards, like the Asus one you linked, require a power connector.

I didn't see anything in the specs for the Asus card saying that, so it's good to know. That's probably how they manage to clock it so much higher than the other 750ti cards. Thanks!

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000

EVGA is a good company, but I am somewhat partial to MSI because their components are top notch and their cooling solutions are for the most part inaudible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127783

$10 more than the EVGA one, but that is not too much to gripe about considering the length of time you will own the card (1 year from now that $10 will not even register in your mind).

I appreciate the suggestions. I'd really like to keep this close to $100 if possible, though, since the "but if I spend just a little bit more..." mindset can always go "just a little bit more". I do like EVGA and have had great results with their customer service/warranty in the past, but the reviews seem to agree that it's a pretty noisy card, and that would probably annoy the owner. I'll keep those cards in mind if I decide to expand the budget a little.

Last edited:

xorbe

Sep 7, 2011
I would opt for the base PNY card. You can oc via MSI AB if you want. These aren't hot power-hungry cards. Any brand should work fine.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I didn't see anything in the specs for the Asus card saying that, so it's good to know. That's probably how they manage to clock it so much higher than the other 750ti cards. Thanks!

Details

RAMDAC
400MHz

Max Resolution
4096 x 2160

Cooler
With Fan

System Requirements
up to 150W

Power Connector
6-Pin

HDCP Ready
Yes

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
My EVGA 750 (no extra power plug) is pretty noisy, I can hear the fan spin up on games, so, if you are looking for something quiet, I would look at another brand.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I would opt for the base PNY card. You can oc via MSI AB if you want. These aren't hot power-hungry cards. Any brand should work fine.

Is the PNY quiet? I didn't post that as a want/need at first, but quiet is good. :)

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I'm currently using the Asus version. I'm happy with it. nice and quiet and super-cool..no overheating.

I also have a wimpy psu.

xorbe

Sep 7, 2011
Is the PNY quiet? I didn't post that as a want/need at first, but quiet is good. :)

I wish I ran a video card review web site. I find all major sites to be lacking (in this sort of information and wide product sampling), imho.

Last edited:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I ended up putting off the purchase while I was out of town with no internet access, so I came back today and found this option on NewEgg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487024

It's an EVGA with a single fan so it shouldn't be as loud as the noisy dual fan EVGA card, plus the 3 year warranty instead of PNY's 1 year. It also only has a $10 rebate compared to the $30 rebates on those other cards so it's not as big of a deal if the rebate doesn't go through.

My only question now is if this card needs a 6 pin power adapter. I don't see it listed in the specs and a few of the reviews say no, but I'd like to be sure before I place the order.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I got the EVGA 750ti SC last night. Benchmarks with 3dMark 2006 (the newest version that would run properly on the old Radeon HD5670) got a score of 11815 with the Radeon and 26873 with the 750ti. It's no speed demon, but that seems like a good boost for a computer that doesn't play a lot of games. And in 'real world' usage in the only game I've tried so far, the Radeon averaged around 30fps in World of Warships on Medium quality settings. With the 750ti it's averaging about 60fps on Very High settings, so that's definitely a nice improvement. :)

It's also virtually silent. I can't even hear it over the PSU fan, which can only be heard if I put my head next to the case, so that's REALLY nice!

It's already pretty significantly overclocked from the factory, but I might end up playing with it later to see how high it can go and still be stable and silent..

Edit: I see that NewEgg raised the price by $30 over the weekend, so I guess I ordered it at the perfect time, too! ;)

Last edited:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Edit: I see that NewEgg raised the price by $30 over the weekend, so I guess I ordered it at the perfect time, too! ;)

They have to raise their prices so they can lower them again for Black Friday... :sneaky:

Glad the 750 is working out well! :thumbsup: I was tempted to get one of those for my HTPC, but decided to wait on the 950/960.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Peeked at Newegg, that one 2gb 750Ti for $150 ... D: when they have 950+free game for $140 before rebate.
But then the ZOTAC is only $100, no power connector, compact for HTPC use, and we now know better than console for FO4. I would spend a little more to get a lot more performance from a 950/960 hot deal, but choosing it for HTPC with some light gaming would not be cause for buyer's remorse imo.